Physical Screening Standards
When you join the Navy and are classified into the Warrior Challenge Program, you shall be made aware that these programs involve strenuous conditioning and requires you to successfully pass the Navy Challenge Physical Standards Test (PST) prior to classification into your specific rating.
The PST will also be completed by Future Sailors in the Warrior Challenge Programs every 45 days while in the Delayed Entry Program to remain qualified, and lastly, within a 14-day period prior to leaving for Recruit Training Command (boot-camp).
The Special Warfare Operator (SO) and Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB) ratings are open to male applicants only. All other Warrior Challenge Program ratings are open to both men and women.
The program specific Physical Screening Test requirements are as follows;
Physical Screening Test Chart
|Physical Screening Requirements||Special Warfare Operator (SO) SEALS (see additional requirement below)||Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB)||Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) / Navy Diver (ND) / Seabee Diver (UCT)||Aircrew Rescue Swimmer (AIRR)|
|500 yard swim||12:30||13:00||12:30||12:00||Ten Minute Rest|
|Push-ups (Within 2 minutes)||50||50||50||42||Two Minute Rest|
|Sit-ups (Within 2 minutes)||50||50||50||50||Two Minute Rest|
|Pull-ups (No time limit)||10||6||6||4||Ten Minute Rest|
|1.5 mile run||10:30||12:00||12:30||12:00|
|Note: For 500-yard swim, use the sidestroke, breaststroke or combination of both (AIRR may also utilize American crawl/freestyle)|
Determining the Eligibility of a Special Warfare Operator (SO) Candidate
The Computerized Special Operations Resilience Test (C-SORT) in combination with Physical Screening Test (PST) scores are required to classify Special Warfare Operator (SO) candidates into FY-2010 and beyond. Testing is accomplished Online and is expected to take approximately one hour per test. A Navy Recruiting District Divisional Leading Chief Petty Officer (DLCPO) will be required to administer the C-SORT. The C-SORT, along with PST, must be administered to all SO applicants prior to being classified/contracted.
The C-SORT, when combined with the PST run and swim (run time and swim time added together) is predictive of success of a candidate in the training pipeline. The band scores (scaled from one to four) are added together. The two band scores added together have to be four or greater to be eligible for SO classification. The candidate still must meet the basic PST requirements and program requirements, in addition to the combined C-SORT/PST band score. If a candidate does not meet all requirements, he should be told "NOT NOW" and encouraged to improve his PST Score. The C-SORT cannot be re-taken. If a candidate does not qualify, he should be considered for classification into one of the other Warrior Challenge ratings.
Warrior Challenge Program Vision Requirements
- Special Warfare Operator (SO)/Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB)
- Normal color perception. Uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/40 in best eye and 20/70 in worst eye. Corrected vision must be 20/25 worst eye. No color deficiency waivers authorized.
- Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)
- Normal color perception. Uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/200 in each eye. Both eyes must correct to 20/25. No color deficiency waivers authorized.
- Navy Diver (ND)
- Uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/200 in each eye. Both eyes must correct to 20/25. Lack of adequate color vision is disqualifying. No color deficiency waivers authorized.
- Seabee UCT Diver
- Uncorrected vision in the better eye can be no worse than 20/100, the worse eye no more than 20/200. Both eyes must correct to 20/20. No color deficiency.
- Aircrew Rescue Swimmer AIRR.
- Normal depth and color perception. Uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 in both eyes.
Warrior Challenge Program Non-Waiver Medical Conditions
Candidates for the Warrior Challenge Program with the following conditions are disqualified and no waiver will be approved:
- Lack of normal color perception. No color vision waivers will be approved for any program.
- Any broken bone or joint from which applicant was cleared within the last 6 months. (Must be 6 months since the date cleared from treatment).
- Any surgery from which cleared within last 6 months. (Must be 6 months since the date cleared from treatment).
- Stress fractures occurring within the last 6 months.
- More than a single kidney stone.
- Seizures (other than childhood seizures).
- Concussions that resulted in a coma or have persistent neurological deficits.
- Any drug use except for Marijuana.
- Any daily Asthma medications after the age of 13.
- Anaphylaxis (all allergies should be documented as to what their reaction is).
- Inability to perform Valsalva maneuver (Chronic Eustachian Tube dysfunction).
- Pneumothorax (spontaneous).
- Pulmonary Blebs.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Central blood clots (strokes, pulmonary emboli).
- Suicidal Ideation.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (No medications or any symptoms in the last year).
- Any history of mental health issues/disorders.
Warrior Challenge Program Waiver Required Medical Conditions
Conditions that will require considerable effort and documentation to obtain approval:
- Concussions with any sort of loss of consciousness.
- Memory loss.
- Stress fractures.
- All prior asthmatics of any age should have:
- Spirometry (aka PFTs, aka Pulmonary Function Tests).
- Methacholine Challenge Test.
- Clearance from their doctor.