Comments are closed.
Written by Thomas Goering, NCCM USN(RET)
Published: December 14, 2017
Updated: December 14, 2017
R 141810Z DEC 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/MODIFICATIONS TO ENLISTED HIGH YEAR TENURE FOR ACTIVE COMPONENT AND FULL TIME SUPPORT PERSONNEL//
REF/B/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/211258Z/JUN17//
REF/D/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/181719ZOCT17//
NARR/REF A IS MILPERSMAN ARTICLE 1160-120, HIGH YEAR TENURE.
REF B IS NAVADMIN 143/17, MODIFICATIONS TO ENLISTED HIGH YEAR TENURE FOR ACTIVE AND FULL TIME SUPPORT PERSONNEL.
REF C IS BUPERSINST 1430.16F, ADVANCEMENT MANUAL FOR ENLISTED PERSONNEL OF THE U.S. NAVY AND U.S. NAVY RESERVE.
REF D IS NAVADMIN 252/17, MARCH 2018 (CYCLE 239) NAVY-WIDE PETTY OFFICER (E4-E6) ADVANCEMENT EXAMINATIONS FOR USN, FULL TIME SUPPORT, AND CANVASSER RECRUITER SAILORS.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces updates to the Navy High Year Tenure (HYT) policy by amending the E3 HYT length of service (LOS) gate for Active Component (AC) and Full Time Support (FTS) personnel. Revisions to reference (a) are forthcoming and will also encompass updates in the announcement made in reference (b). All other HYT policy contained in references (a) and (b) remains in effect.
2. The HYT policy of the Navy establishes LOS gates by paygrade. It is a vital tool used to manage the force and promote continuous advancement opportunity. Changes to Navy HYT policy are directly linked to Fleet readiness. As the Navy works to increase Fleet Fit/Fill, we have closely examined how we can expand retention of talented and experienced Sailors. Effective 1 February 2018, HYT policy for pay grade E3 AC and FTS Sailors is amended to reflect the new LOS gate of 6 years (vice 5 years).
3. For those personnel who have been planning to separate under current HYT
LOS, the following information and guidelines are provided:
- Obtaining permission to reenlist. Members who currently have approved HYT separation dates on or after 1 February 2018 must decide whether to cancel their HYT separation orders and remain on active duty or execute their orders as originally planned. For Sailors who decide to stay, permission to reenlist or extend to the new HYT date must be requested no later than 31 January 2018 from Bureau of Naval Personnel Enlisted Community Manager (BUPERS-32) for all non-nuclear-trained AC and FTS members, and Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (OPNAV N133) for all nuclear-trained AC members. Members in receipt of HYT separation orders who have executed any portion of those orders, to include movement of household goods or dependents, shall include this information in their request to reenlist or extend for consideration by BUPERS-32/OPNAV (N133) on a case-by-case basis. BUPERS-32/OPNAV (N133) will forward approved requests to PERS-40.
- Navy-Wide Advancement Exams (NWAE). Sailors must maintain advancement eligibility as outlined in reference (c) to participate in the March 2018 NWAE, cycle 239 as published in reference (d).
- Detailing Process.
- Sailors on sea duty (type 2, 3, and 4) who have not completed their prescribed tour as a result of the previous HYT policy will have their projected rotation date (PRD) extended at their present duty station to meet their normal tour length, or until their new HYT date, whichever is closest.
- Sailors assigned to shore duty (type 1 and 6) may be assigned to sea duty or other higher priority billets based on needs of the Navy and will have their PRDs established to match their new HYT date.
- Sailors who are not in receipt of HYT separation orders but are within 7 months of their newly established PRD must contact their detailer who can make a Career Management System Interactive (CMS-ID) application for them in the next CMS-ID cycle.
- Sailors who are in their normal 12-month negotiation window should submit an application via CMS-ID and will follow the normal detailing process.
4. Points of contact. For HYT policy related questions, commands and members may contact:
- BUPERS-32 for all non-nuclear-trained AC and FTS members at (901) 874-3234/DSN 882.
- OPNAV (N133) for all nuclear-trained AC members at (703) 604-5492/DSN 664.
- The Navy Personnel Customer Service Center at 1(866) U-Ask-NPC (827-5672).//
5. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled, whichever comes first.
6. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//