Felonies and Very Serious Misdemeanors Pg-9

Major Misconduct Offenses

Updated: November 2, 2015

694 Responses to “Major Misconduct Offenses”

Jenifer,

Your court records must be reviewed, but it sounds like you have a Major Misconduct Offense. The chances of a waiver are not very good, but it is possible. To be competitive, you will need a high ASVAB score and be an otherwise stellar candidate.

2. Kevin says:

I’m currently in the navy, I have a great record one pin and I’m getting charged with larceny. I gave security a detailed statement of the accident and all honesty it was a simple mistake, what are my odds of getting kicked out?

Kevin,

I have no way of knowing how your command will respond.

4. Drake says:

To whom it may concern,

I was arrested and convicted, at the age of 18, for Manslaughter. This was 10 years ago. My state changed the laws governing self-defense, a year after I was convicted; this means, under the new law, I would not have been found guilty. I have 1 felony on my record and no other marks to my record. I understand that this can technically be waived under the chart, but I have only been met with false hope thus far.

The circumstance involve my defending myself in a knife attack from a junky, whom had a warrant out for his arrest and had been in trouble with the law before, he was also 18. I was not given self-defense due to the wording of the old law, and was told I had an obligation to run away, even though he was attempting to use a knife against me. I have numerous mitigating circumstances working for me: military and law enforcement in my immediate family, college education (including a couple certifications), am a manager at a health supplements company, am married, am in excellent physical condition, with no drug history and got an 88 on my ASVABs.

What are my options? Thank you,
    Drake

Drake,

The military is not going to consider what the new law states — they are going to consider what the law was when you were arrested. For instance, it is legal to possess marijuana in Colorado now, but if you were arrested for possession before the law changed, you would still have to receive a waiver for that crime.

With today’s recruiting environment — one that has no problem finding people that do not require such waivers — waiver consideration for manslaughter is unlikely.

6. J. [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hello , I Have a Question and I would very much appreciate your time if you were to help me with it , when I was 15 ( I am not just about a month away from turning 18) I was involved in a Domestic Battery Incident ,with my Child’s mother , Even though there was no hitting or kicking or physical harm done (I pushed her to get her out of my personal space because she was up in my face spitting , headbutting , slapping me , I also have this on paperwork and in the information that was sent off , written and signed by the arresting officer ) I was still took in on Domestic Battery in the 3rd degree , it did not go to court , I Signed a Diversion Agreement , The charge was lowered to a Misdemeanor , I was put on probation for 3 months but got off in 1 month with good behavior , Since then I have no been involved in Any type of legal incidents , nor was I involved before , I don’t even have a traffic ticket on my record , I Disclosed this to my recruiting officer (Navy) , my ASVAB Score was a 57 , and I was going to take the SEAL challenge since he said I qualified for it , but we had to deal with the Legal Part which I disclosed to him about the domestic battery , He said he didn’t have enough knowledge of the Overall situation to give me a clear answer if it was going to be waiverable or not , he sent off the info.to be legally determined and I he said I should have an answer weather I can get in or not within 3 weeks , based on the information I have given you , is this situation (possibly) waiverable , do I have a good chance at still getting in ? Thank you for your time I look forward to hearing your response

J.,

If the charge was originally charged as a felony and was later reduced as part of a plea, then your chances of being able to join are greatly reduced. Everything will hinge on the verbiage in the court/police record, and like your recruiter, I don’t know how they will rule.

I do know one thing, however, it does not take three weeks to get a response. It should only take a couple of days once the legal department actually receives the records.

8. J. [Last name redated for privacy] says:

NCCM(Ret):

No it was not being charged as a felony , I did sign the diversion agreement to speed up the process and not have to waste time and money going to court with it , because I lacked the funds to be able to even afford to drive to the court house let alone a lawyer and court fees , but no it wasn’t being charged as a felony previously to signing the diversion agreement, just a misdemeanor from start to finish , so would me odds be good then to get a waiver or to get in in general ?and yeah that’s what I thought on the Legal determination, The PO1 there is the one that told me it would take about 3 weeks under the quote of “well there’s only one guy that does the legal determination, and he has to deal with a lot of other legal determinations, so that’s why it will take so long ”

Even one of the other recruiting officers there , disagreed with him on that statement , but there (for Me anyway) is no way in knowing the process so I don’t really have room to argue with a PO1 on if he’s right or not haha

But regardless of all that , since it was a misdemeanor through and through , does that increase my chances of getting into the Navy ?

9. J. [Last name redated for privacy] says:

*update* I have just found out via my lawyer that since I signed the diversion agreement that all the charges that I previously stated were all dropped and dismissed , I also was never “arrested ” I was “detained” not arrested

If this helps your viewing on this
    I would appreciate it if you were to tell me how this looks as in being able to get into the Navy

J.

For DV related charges, they must be reviewed by the legal department. For military conduct waiver purposes, adversely adjudicated crimes are the treated the same as ones that were sent to a jury trial with a guilty finding. The military is considering a waiver for the actions you took; not just the charge you got — because of the laws concerning DV charges, extra scrutiny is applied.

11. Zach [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

When I was 17 I was charged with assault on an officer, the charge was dropped through HYTA. Will I qualify for the air force?

Zach,

The charge was adversely adjudicated and must be considered as if a guilty finding by the courts happened — for the Air Force part of the question, you would need to ask your local Air Force recruiter.

13. Jake [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hi was convicted burglary and I got felony. I done with my community service and probation, and after one year they gave me a early termination for my case and I got misdemeanor. My question is, I can still join to the navy?

Jake,

You require a waiver for a Major Misconduct Offense (what the court does after a charge has been adversely adjudicated is totally irrelevant). Whether or not you can join will depend on your education level, ASVAB scores, work history, and whether or not the hiring needs of the Navy at the time you attempt to process makes such waiver consideration plausible.

15. K.D. says:

NCCM,
    I am considering the ANG. My recruiter advised me that the charge of Grand Theft is a non-waiverable offense. I have a GT charge from 1998, whereas I completed probation (18 months), paid restitution (joint and several with another offender), and the disposition was adjudication withheld and was to be later discharged upon completion of the prior mentioned items. To my understanding, the adjudication of withheld is non-bearing to the military. The probation and restitution, however is. In 2014 I had my record sealed. I understand that it can still be seen by the people that need to see it. Since the record is sealed I do not have details of the case and I only remember what I have listed here considering it was 20 years ago and I was a juvenile when it happened (adult when charged).

Are there any conditions that will allow a waiver at the current time? I am college educated, a director of sales for a large automotive group, married with 3 children; basically an upstanding citizen and have not been in trouble since this incident. My brother-in-law is in the Army (1SG) and he advised to list the offense as discharged and give a detailed explanation of the events as I remember them. I want to ensure that I do not get past MEPS, Basic, etc. and then run in to a roadblock thereafter.

Thank you in advance for your time and response.
    -K.D.

K.D.,

With a Major Misconduct Offense, you require a waiver by the General in charge of recruiting for the ANG. I do not know if the ANG will consider such waivers; it is likely that they don’t as the Air Force is VERY strict about Conduct waivers. You may want to try the Army National Guard.

17. Brandon says:

I am 20 years old and have one failure to appear in court charge. Two petty larceny charges. And two arson charges. All of these charges are misdemeanors but I was wondering if I am still able to enlist .

Brandon,

Having two Major Misconduct Offenses (arson) renders you ineligible — no waivers authorized.

19. Dijon says:

I’ve been waiting on a waiver regarding a charge I had 2 years ago when I was 18. A friend and I was charged with simple burglary and immediately released after being booked and going to our initial hearing (no jail time or bond needed) as long as we came to court. After 3 court dates the charge was dropped from both of us (judge and prosecutor refused). We didn’t get probation, community service, or have to pay any fines. Completely dropped. Talked to my recruiter a few days ago regarding the waiver and his supervisor said it’s now at the top of the command (I think that’s what it’s called – correct me on that). He feels confident that I should be okay. But what are my chances like? I’ve heard sad stories about recruits with felony convictions on their record, but I’ve never heard anything about anyone with just a felony charge that was refused unconditionally.

Dijon,

If the charges were dropped without ANY conditions, then the charge will be listed in your application, but it will not require waiver consideration. It sounds like your case is being reviewed at the CNRC Legal department.

21. Dijon says:

What’s the difference between the CNRC and the waiver command? Because my recruiter had me write a written statement describing the case and how it turned out, we went got the court documents, police report, a paper from the courthouse proving it was dropped without any conditions…then he sent it all up somewhere (I assumed the waiver command but now I’m confused). He did say it shouldn’t be a problem at all. Did we go about it wrong or something?

22. Dijon says:

CNRC legal department, I meant. I know what the CNRC is.

Dijon,

One of two folks will determine whether a waiver is required or not — it is either the EPDS (the local Navy recruiting command’s processing supervisor) or CNRC’s legal department (CNRC is the Admiral; the Admiral has many departments that make up his command, e.g. legal, public affairs, operations, etc.). Being the charge was originally a felony, the EPDS more than likely would send it to CNRC legal for an official ruling. It sounds as if everything is happening as it should.

24. Mushroom says:

I was 18 charged for theft (shoplifting) $50-$500 which is a class c misdemeanor in my state. I was charged guilty to a reduced plea of disorderly conduct-class c. I did 0 jail time and paid a fine. They did not require me to take any special classes. I’m 25 now and finished my bachelors in nursing but don’t have my license (because board is still evaluating my papers and criminal background). What is my conviction in the military? Am I eligible for a waiver and how high/low are the chances of me getting into the Navy? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

25. Mushroom says:

PS. Should I talk to a recruiter or officer?

Mushroom,

Based on what you wrote, you have a single Misconduct Offense. No matter how the state may ultimately classify it, any theft of property offense of a value of $500 or less is considered a Misconduct Offense (unless the state originally classified it as a felony). A NRD Commanding Officer Eligibility Determination will be required before you can join. For general enlistment, approval is very likely if you have a high ASVAB score along with your excellent educational accomplishments. For an officer program, your entire history will be evaluated and compared to others applying to the same program — the blemish on your record can prove to be a big hurdle because you will be competing against numerous others who have a clean record.

Mushroom,

Oh, and with a four year degree, always start with an officer recruiter — if the officer recruiter does not think you are competitive, he/she will suggest you seek out an enlisted one.

28. BeatriZ says:

Hello. Im interested in joining the navy and already talked to a recruiter. I haven’t disclosed with my recruiter that I’ve paid a civil demand for shoplifting. At the incident, I was brought to their room, signed papers and actually paid the civil demand. No cops were involved nor did I go to court. If If don’t disclose this with my recruiter, and by the time MEPS comes around I intend on disclosing that incident, will there be such an offense? And should this require a waiver?

Beatriz,

You must disclose the event. To whether it requires a waiver depends on the amount stolen.

30. Sabourin says:

My name is Sabourin I am now 30 years old and when I was 20 years old I got convicted of aggravated assault what happened was I was at a house party and they were people were fighting and I had kick the lake guy in the leg and I considered that aggravated assault now the charges are dismissed and I am currently working with the Navy recruiter and he believes I have a chance but I was trying to get some insight on other people thought if I really do have a chance

31. Jonathan says:

Hello I have a question. When I was 15, I commuted grand theft of construction equipment. It is a felony. It was deferred ajudication and it was a juvenile record. I’m now 26 and have a wife and 2 boys. What are my chances of being able to enlist? I plan on getting my record expunged even though it’s still accessible by government personnel.

Sabourin,

If the charge was originally a felony, then the waiver is going to be more difficult to get; either way, if your recruiter is working with you, then he/she must think the waiver has a good shot at approval — that is a good sign.

Jonathan,

If you are only getting the charge expunged thinking it will somehow help you with a waiver — don’t waste your money. Having a charge expunged means nothing when processing for the military.

You need two waivers, Dependency and Conduct. Approval for the dependency waiver will be based on your debt compared to your projected military basic pay. The Conduct waiver will depend on the needs of the Navy, your ASVAB score, work history, education level, and other factors. I highly recommend contacting a recruiter to go over the details and specifics.

34. Jonathan says:

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking to 2 different army recruiters and 1 said with that in my record I cannot join and he stated they aren’t handing out waivers at this time. The other said if I get it expunged, it will help my chances. I was talking to army recruiters because I’m not sure if I want to join the navy or the army because I do have a wife and 2 kids. My debt is low, just some old bills I haven’t got to yet. My work history is not great. Mainly seasonal jobs at most. I have a GED and no college as of yet. I was planning to goto college for welding this january, get a certificate while I take care of those bills on my credit, pay for the expungment to clear my record and then apply.

35. James [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hello, I was 18 and was charged with a grand theft charge and I am currently 25 going on 26 and have not been in trouble since. i get letters of recommendation from officers, and other peoples. do you think I have a shot of getting a waiver for enlistment?

Jonathan,

The recrutier that told you that having a charge expunged may help you is wrong. The only charge that having a charge expunged (or it having a possibility of being expunged) is that of domestic violence; and that does not even help with the waiver, it allows consideration of the waiver because otherwise, DV charges would ban the person from joining. To your case, it will make zero difference — as a matter of fact, it can actually make it harder if the waiver authority wants the actual court document but it was destroyed. If this is the only reason you want to have the charge expunged, as I said before, don’t waste your money.

James,

Waiver consideration will depend on your education level, the needs of the service, your ASVAB score, and many other factors. Major Misconduct waivers are very tough to get. I recommend contacting a recruiter for more specific information as it would related to your case.

38. Samuel [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

I was charged with two felonies when I was 14 now I’m 18 can I get a waiver or is there any way I can enlist?

Samuel,

It would depend on many factors such as; what the charges were, your education level, ASVAB score, work history, and whether or not the local command is willing to forward such a waiver.

40. Dijon says:

I posted somewere on this site awhile back about my simple burglary (that was dismissed with no conditions) waiver. It was a problem about it being almost 3 months and not getting anything back about it. Turns out, when it was sent up to Tennessee (00J) it wasn’t endorsed – so it just got shredded.

So we go all of that fixed up last month. Couple says ago my recruiter said that his command and MEPS (or something like that) approved it, but it was still to be sent back up to Tennessee for one last approval.

My only question is how long, from the time it gets there, would it usually take to get a word back regarding it?

Sabourin,

Use the Contact Me link in my blog’s navigation bar — you can send your question to me that way.

Dijon,

CNRC Legal is pretty good about getting an answer back within a day or two — the only hold up comes when legal decides they want to have a specific question answered — to get the answer, they may place a call to your local district attorney; that can take time if they play phone tag.

43. Christian [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

I’m 18 and just got bailed out of county in Arkansas my y offenses were 11 felonies breaking and entering and Possession of a stolen firearm I never done bad in my life and I’m scared can u tell me what’s gonna happen?

Christian,

I would suspect that your lawyer will do his level best to try and reduce the amount of jail time you may have to serve. Eleven felony counts is a lot; good luck.

45. Chriss says:

I was charged at 16 with terroristic threat and the case was closed I am now 18 Could I go to army?

Chriss,

I do not know if the Army is currently considering waivers for Major Misconduct Offenses.

47. Seth says:

I was given a citation for possession of Marijuana. Wasn’t arrested or fingerprinted. All charges were dropped. Year later, police report of lsd use (not possession) no charges/wasn’t arrested. What should I do

Seth,

You ensure that each incident is listed in your application when applying.

49. dillon says:

Can I go to any branch of the military with a disorderly conduct and an ai

Dillon,

I am assuming that you were not initially charged with a felony and that the AI is alcohol intoxication. If my assumptions are correct, enlistment processing to join the military is possible; perhaps even likely if you have good education and ASVAB scores.

51. Gee says:

Reposting so I can select to receive notifications. Anyways, I am a 23 year d female. When I was 18, I got a charge of petty theft and completed a diversion program successfully. When I was 19, I was found on another crime and was charged with 3rd degree grand theft and I was on probation for a year and completed it. What would be my next steps to join the the service?

Gee,

Based on your comment, you require a waiver for the Major Misconduct (Grand Theft) and Misconduct (Petty Theft) Offenses. Any possibility of waiver consideration will depend on Navy recruiting mission requirements, your education level, ASVAB score, work history, etc. Those conduct waivers are difficult to get, but possible. You need to seek out your local Navy recruiter as have him/her review your background to see if the waiver processing could move forwarded.

53. Abdulla says:

I was arrested and went to jail for a day for “assault with a deadly weapon.” The charges were dropped by the D.A before I even went to court because they found out that I didn’t do what I was arrested for. Will I be able to join the military for that?

Abdulla,

As long as the court record bears the disposition you describe (dropped unconditionally), then although the charge must be listed in your application, you would not require waiver consideration for it. If the charges were reduced to a lesser crime, then you court records would need to be reviewed; if you took a plea to the lesser charge, then for waiver purposes, it is likely that you will require a waiver for the original felony.

55. Kevin [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hello so I’m a veteran that has been discharged from the Army since 2008 discharged with a general under honorable conditions. After I came back home from the military I got into some trouble haven’t been in trouble since. I was charged with an accessory after the fact and Grand Theft Auto. My question to you is would the army consider me for a waiver. Considering that I am prior service and that I haven’t had any contact with the law in over 8 years??? now

Kevin,

You have a few issues; first, if your reenlistment code is not favorable, then you cannot reenlist (with a General discharge, the RE-code is generally not favorable). Secondly, you have been out of the military for an extended period of time — that makes it tough, and third, and most important, you have been arrested since your discharge. The Navy would not process you. As for the Army, you would need to ask them.

57. John says:

I made a mistake at work right before I left for work during the month of august and lost at total of 750.24 in profit. I am truly remorseful and I paid the store all the money in return before the case was filed. I just graduated college and had aspirations of applying to be an officer. It’s filed under theft scheme due to the period the money was lost. My court date is April 24, 2017. I am going tomorrow to the court house to give the judge a letter stating my remorse, my proof of paying back what I owe, and my military interest. I have no history of any other theft related schemes. This falls under a misdemeanor.

John,

By providing the letter and paying back the money, your charge will be considered adversely adjudicated no matter how the court documents its final disposition. You will require a Conduct waiver for a Major Misconduct Offense due to the amount of money concerned. You cannot attempt to process until all court requirements have been completed and the case is closed. Conduct waivers for Major Misconduct offenses are very difficult to achieve.

59. Dilon says:

Five years ago I pled guilty to two cases of 3rd degree burglary, and grand larceny. It all occurred in the same day, same offense. The judge ran OT concurrent and give me 4 years probation which I completed with no trouble.Will this prevent me from enlisting?

Dilon,

Based on what you wrote, you have four Major Misconduct Offenses (they cannot be grouped because each charge was a result of a separate conscious action — it doesn’t matter that they occurred on the same day). With four Major Misconduct Offenses, you are not authorized waiver consideration.

61. Brandon says:

Hi, I’m in a middle of a big mistake I done at work and lost my job over. I stole 2 items that equal to about a grand together. I talked to the detective that sat me down and he said no felony charges if I hand them over and I did right away. So after a few days I’m starting to wonder if I would get a charge for grand larceny but it would only be a misdemeanor if anything from what 3 lawyers told me and 3 other cops. If it gets brought down to be only a misdemeanor, can I still join the army? Or would I have to bring it down or try to get a petite larceny misdemeanor? I really need help on this

62. Brandon says:

I’m only 18 with no criminal record at all if that helps the case and make your answer more easy for me to understand. I really want to fight for my country and I made a horrible mistake but I turned everything over. And all I want to know is if I can atleast enlist in the military

Brandon,

For military waiver purposes, theft of property that has a value of greater than $500 is a Major Misconduct Offense — it does not matter how the state may classify it (felony or misdemeanor). Once all of your court requirements are completed (fines paid, etc.), then a waiver may be possible as long as you are otherwise fully qualified.

64. Katie says:

I was involved in an abusive relationship with a guy who almost killed me. I retaliated and went to jail for one night got out on PR but the charge isn’t domestic violence. It was for assault. It needed up getting dismissed but my recruiter said that even though it was dismissed there was still a charge at some point. He said there is some law that says something about not being able to carry a weapon if I have that charge but then he also said there is a possibility my charge doesn’t fall under that law. Can I get this waived possibly so I can join the army?

Katie,

Any and all domestic violence related crimes must be reviewed by the military branch’s recruiting legal department to see if the adversely adjudicated charge meets the standard as defined by the Lautenberg amendment. Once they do that, they then determine the waiver authority. Based on the very limited information you provided, a waiver should be possible — to whom the waiver authority may be, I have no way of knowing.

66. MM says:

My husband has always had an interest in joining the military. When he was 16 the girl he was with at the time, pressed charges on him after he broke up with her. He was 16 at the time, wasn’t charged with rape, but charged with a GSI. He is now 22 and hasn’t gotten into any trouble since then. Is there any possibility he is able to enlist in any branch?

MM,

Any adversely adjudicated sexual misconduct offense would render him ineligible for waiver consideration. The policy as dictated by law is that one would receive an automatic, permanent disqualification if ever convicted of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault, incest, carnal knowledge, forcible sodomy, sodomy of a minor, prostitution involving a minor, indecent assault, assault with intent to commit rape, assault with intent to commit sodomy, indecent act with a minor, indecent language with a minor, kidnapping of a minor (by a person not a parent), pornography involving a minor, attempt to commit any of the foregoing, conspiracy to commit any of the foregoing, any other sexual offense, or solicitation to commit any of the foregoing, or if you are required by any state or federal court, statute, or administrative regulation, to register as a sex offender. No waivers are authorized.

68. Christian says:

Hi, I have a felony from 2011, and is a 3rd degree felony. Me and my brother had got in a fight when he was 12 and the neighbors called the cops on us, and I got arrested for child abuse. Is there anyway I could join the military since that’s the only felony I’ve got?

Christian,

Not sure how two kids getting into a fight leads to a felony child abuse charge. Bring your court records to a recruiter for review and a determination.

70. MM says:

Thank you for responding, he was not convicted, he was adjudicated. I’m not sure if its the same thing or not. He did not serve any prison time.

MM,

All charges are ultimately adjudicated. It is how a final disposition is reached — they are adjudicated; if not adjudicated, then they are still open — his case is no longer open. He plead to a lesser crime, so he was adversely adjudicated. The charge he was adversely adjudicated for renders him ineligible for military service.

72. robert says:

i was arrested when i was 19 for theft. if i completed everything ( probation, etc.) it would be dropped to a misdemeanor. which it was 7 years ago. will i be able to get a waiver and enlist? thank you

Robert,

A theft charge will always be a Major Misconduct Offense if the amount stolen was over $500 in value or if it was initially charged a felony even if later reduced as a result of a plea.

A waiver for a single Major Misconduct Offense is possible if the applicant is otherwise fully qualified.

74. Worried says:

NCCM,

I’m currently looking into OCS accessions for the Navy. However, I’m worried that I may be DQ’d for Major Misconduct. My first semester of college (3 years ago), I used marijuana once. I took Xanax on a single occasion. On one other separate occasion I used Percocet (which I was legally prescribed for wisdom tooth surgery) in a manner inconsistent with the physician’s directions. None of these instances had police involvement or anything of that nature. This is the entirety of my involvement with illegal substances and I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere near them. Since then, I have transferred to a different school and have maintained an excellent conduct record and achieved a 3.9 GPA. Other than what I described above, I think I’m a competitive applicant. My main question: is my history eligible for a waiver? I was confused by the waiver chart, as it seems to simultaneously say that 1-2 instances can be waived and that they’re ineligible.

Worried,

Based on what you described, you don’t require a Conduct waiver — you require a Drug Abuse waiver. The local commanding officer is the waiver authority.