3 Responses to “Navy SRB Guidance, December 2019”
Leave a Reply
Before asking a question, use the site search!
If you are unable to successfully complete and send this form, please feel free to send me an email with your question.
Written by Thomas Goering, NCCM USN(RET)
Published: December 2, 2019
Updated: December 7, 2019
Just in time for the Christmas holidays, the Navy released an update to the Selective Reenlistment Bonus and its pilot program currently running for Pay for Performance. It appears most eligible ratings see an increase over the previous message, especially so in Zone A.
The Navy’s Selective Reenlistment Bonus is calculated by multiplying your basic pay (times) number of SRB eligible months reenlisting for (divided by 12) then multiplied by the SRB award level for your zone. Zone A is 2 to 6 years, Zone B is 6 to 10 years and Zone C is 10 to 14 years of active service. To give you a good estimate of what your SRB may be, use that formula with the appropriate basic pay amount taken from the military pay chart for 2020 (effective January 1, 2020 — until that date, the Basic Pay amount will come from current Basic pay amount).
R 021614Z DEC 19 MID510000756566U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS AND PAY FOR PERFORMANCE PILOT UPDATE DECEMBER 2019//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/111600ZJUN19//
REF/C/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/081433ZAPR19//
REF/D/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/171350ZJUL17//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 129/19, SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS AND PAY FOR PERFORMANCE PILOT UPDATE JUNE 2019.
REF B IS TITLE 37 U.S. CODE SECTION 331, ENLISTED BONUS PROGRAM.
REF C IS NAVADMIN 085/19, ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY UPDATE.
REF D IS NAVADMIN 177/17, NUCLEAR TRAINED SAILOR APPLICATIONS TO OFFICER COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS AND MODIFICATION TO FY-19 NUCLEAR LIMITED DUTY OFFICER IN- SERVICE PROCUREMENT BOARD PROCESS.
REF E IS OPNAVINST 1160.8B, SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS PROGRAM.
REF F IS MILPERSMAN ARTICLE 1306-604, ACTIVE OBLIGATED SERVICE (OBLISERV) FOR SERVICE SCHOOLS.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces revised selective reenlistment bonus (SRB) award levels and reenlistment policy for Active Component (AC) and Full-Time Support (FTS), updates to the pay for performance pilot (a Sailor 2025 initiative) and changes to how future SRB award levels will be announced.
SRB award levels and reenlistment policy listed in this NAVADMIN supersede those contained in reference (a). Additionally, it expands the pay for performance pilot program, a Sailor 2025 initiative designed to better reward our top Sailors, where eligible Sailors can receive an additional 0.5 multiple or *kicker* in their SRB multiple if they meet specific criteria outlined in paragraph 6. Finally, all future SRB award level updates, to include the addition and closure of skills, will be published on the SRB website as opposed to being published via NAVADMIN. This change is part of a concerted effort to increase the agility of the SRB program by publishing updates more frequently. Updates will be posted on MyNavy Portal (MNP) under the *SRB* tab at Website. SRB policy updates will continue to be announced via NAVADMIN. SRBs aid in manning the Fleet by ensuring retention of qualified talent in critical skills, while the pay for performance pilot under Sailor 2025 rewards superior performance.
2. Increased award levels are effective immediately and decreased levels are effective 30 days after the release of this NAVADMIN.
Annual bonus amounts may not exceed $30K per 12 months of additional obligated service as stated in reference (b). Additional bonus calculation information can be found via MNP.
3. Reenlistment requests for the listed SRB award levels will be approved based on quota availability. SRB reenlistment requests for FTS are currently not being accepted. SRB reenlistment requests for AC must be submitted to the Community Management Support Branch (BUPERS-328) via Officer Personnel Information System (OPINS) or Navy Standard Integrated Personnel System (NSIPS) 35 to 120 days in advance of the requested reenlistment date for the Sailor. Eligible Sailors desiring SRB reenlistment are encouraged to work with their chain of command as early as possible within their reenlistment window to maximize potential for SRB. For information on the current list of SRB eligible ratings/skills based on available quotas and to ensure all requirements and timelines are met, visit MNP. Addendums to the current award message are posted on this site and provide notification of skill closures and supersede the current NAVADMIN. For commands with limited internet access, command career counselors (CCC) should contact BUPERS-328 directly for the latest updates.
4. AC SRB award levels are as follows (Note: A * indicates a level located in other sections of paragraph 4, a – indicates a reduction from previous award level and a + indicates an increase from previous award level. The and + are used solely to represent a trend):
a. SRB Award Level Updates:
Tier One: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AWR 0000 +2.0 * 0.0 1,4 CS(SS) 0000 +2.5 0.0 0.0 1,2,11 LS(SS) 0000 +1.0 0.0 0.0 1,2 ND M1DV 0.0 +2.5 0.0 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AWS 0000 +3.0 * 0.0 1,11 EOD M02A +4.5 * 0.0 ETR 0000 +2.0 0.0 0.0 1,2,12 FT 0000 +2.0 -0.0 +0.5 1,4 MT T3XA * -1.0 0.0 5 ND M2DV +2.5 +1.5 0.0 OS W17A 0.0 +3.0 +2.5 OS W27A 0.0 +3.0 +2.5 60,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CTI 771B 0.0 2.5 2.5 3 CTN 771B 0.0 +2.5 2.5 3 CTR C19A 0.0 -2.0 +3.0 3 CTR 771B 0.0 +2.5 2.5 3 CTT 771B 0.0 2.5 2.5 3 EOD M02A * 3.5 0.0 FCA 0000 -0.0 * 0.0 4,9 HM L01A 0.0 +3.0 +2.0 HM L02A 0.0 +5.0 +4.0 HM L10A 0.0 +4.0 +3.0 HM L28A 0.0 +5.0 +2.0 IS K13A 0.0 2.5 0.0 3 ITS 74XA * -0.0 0.0 3,5 SB O52A +5.5 * * 75,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CTI 813A 0.0 +4.5 +4.5 3,10 CTI 9ARB +3.0 +2.0 0.0 3,10 CTI 9CMN +3.0 +3.0 +1.0 3,10 CTI 9KOR +0.5 0.0 0.0 3,10 CTI 9RUS -3.0 +3.0 * 3,10 CTN 0000 0.0 -0.0 -0.0 1,3 CTN H14A 7.0 * * 3 CTN H15A 7.0 * * 3 CTN H16A 7.0 * * 3 EOD M03A +6.0 5.5 +6.5 ET(SW) 0000 * 1.0 0.0 1,2,4 FC 0000 * -0.0 +2.5 1,4 ITS 74XA +2.0 * 0.0 3,5 SB O52A * +6.0 * SB O9XB +6.0 0.0 0.0 5 SO O23A +6.5 * * SO O26A +6.0 +6.0 * SO O9XA +6.0 0.0 0.0 5 90,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CTN H14A * 7.0 +7.0 3 CTN H15A * 7.0 7.5 3 CTN H16A * 7.0 7.5 3 ND MMDV 0.0 0.0 +7.0 SO O23A * +6.5 * STG 708B 0.0 3.5 4.5 100,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES EMN(SS) N14O 5.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 EMN(SS) N14S 5.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 EMN(SW) N24O 5.0 6.5 0.0 2,6 EMN(SW) N24S 5.0 6.5 0.0 2,6 EOD M04A 0.0 +7.0 -6.0 ETN(SS) N13O 10.0 9.5 0.0 2,6 ETN(SS) N13S 10.0 9.5 0.0 2,6 ETN(SW) N23O 8.0 6.5 0.0 2,6 ETN(SW) N23S 8.0 6.5 0.0 2,6 MMN(ELT)(SS) N16O 10.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(ELT)(SS) N16S 10.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(ELT)(SW) N26O 8.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(ELT)(SW) N26S 8.0 7.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(SS) N15O 7.5 9.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(SS) N15S 7.5 9.0 0.0 2,6 MMN(SW) N25O 6.0 5.5 0.0 2,6 MMN(SW) N25S 6.0 5.5 0.0 2,6 SB O52A * * +6.5 SO O23A * * -0.0 SO O26A * * +6.5 STS 708B 0.0 +5.5 +5.5 Tier Two: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES HM L00A +4.0 * 0.0 7 HM L35A 0.0 +4.0 0.0 STG 0000 +2.0 0.0 0.0 1,4 YN(SS) 0000 +1.0 0.0 0.0 1,2 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AC 0000 +2.0 * 0.0 1,4 CB B16A 0.0 * +1.0 CB B17A +2.0 +2.5 0.0 CTI 9HEB +1.0 0.0 0.0 3,10 CTR C23A +3.0 -0.0 0.0 3,8 CTT C02A 0.0 -0.0 0.0 3,4 CTT C15A 0.0 +2.5 0.0 3,4 HM L23A +1.5 +1.5 0.0 HM L27A +4.0 +3.0 0.0 HM L32A +0.5 +3.5 0.0 IC 0000 * -1.0 * 1,4 MT T3XA +3.0 * 0.0 5 60,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AC 0000 * 3.5 0.0 1,4 CTT C04A +3.0 +5.0 0.0 3,4 ETV 0000 +2.5 +0.5 +0.5 1,2,12 HM L00A * +4.5 0.0 7 75,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CB B16A 0.0 4.0 * CB B18A 0.0 0.0 +6.0 CTI 9RUS * * +1.0 3,10 FC 0000 +2.0 * * 1,4 FCA 0000 * 3.5 0.0 4,9 STS 0000 +3.0 0.0 * 1 Tier Three: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AM 763B 0.0 +2.0 0.0 4 AO 0000 +2.0 0.0 0.0 1,4 AWF 0000 +1.5 0.0 0.0 1,4 AWR 0000 * +1.5 0.0 1,4 DC 0000 1.0 1.0 0.0 1,4,11 EM 0000 +1.0 0.0 0.0 1,4,11 EN 0000 1.0 0.5 0.0 1,4,11 ET(SW) 0000 0.5 * 0.0 1,2,4 GSM 0000 1.5 0.0 0.0 1,4,11 HM L31A +2.0 0.0 0.0 HT 0000 1.0 1.0 1.0 1,11 MM(SW) 0000 1.0 1.0 0.0 1,4,11 MR 0000 1.0 0.5 0.5 1,11 NC 0000 0.0 +1.0 0.0 STG V47B 0.0 +2.5 0.0 7 STG V56B 0.0 +2.5 0.0 7 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AG J00A +2.0 0.0 0.0 7 AWF G20A +2.0 +3.0 0.0 AWO 0000 +1.5 +2.0 0.0 1,4 AWS 0000 * +1.5 0.0 1,11 CB B03A +2.5 +2.5 0.0 HM L24A +3.0 +2.0 0.0 HM L37A +2.5 +3.5 +2.5 HM L39A 0.0 +2.0 +1.0 IC 0000 +1.0 * 1.0 1,4 STS 0000 * 0.0 +1.0 1
(1) Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) 0000, commonly referred to as quad zero, is listed here to establish that Sailors in these ratings/career fields can hold any or no NEC and still be qualified for the SRB provided they meet all other applicable non- NEC related criteria.
(2) Subsurface or surface designation does not mean an individual must be subsurface or enlisted surface warfare specialist qualified, but it indicates the component of the rating in which they can reasonably be expected to serve. Training, qualifications and previous or projected duty assignments at-sea will indicate the appropriate rating component. When using the force management system and OPINS to input an SRB precertification request, use the rating (with appropriate suffix designation/NEC) as specified in this NAVADMIN. For example, a surface electronics technician with no NEC would submit *ET(SW)* on precertification for rating.
(3) An SRB approval for all CT, IS, IT and ITS ratings will be contingent upon the Sailor having a current Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) or Tier 5 investigation, an active SSBI/Tier 5 or recent submission of an SSBI/Tier 5 package.
Commands must verify the Sailor has a current SSBI/Tier 5, active SSBI/Tier 5 or has submitted an SSBI/Tier 5 package and make a note of this in the comments section of the precertification request.
(4) E-3 to E-6 Sailors only. Sailors selected for E-7 advancement are not eligible for SRB.
(5) X is used as a placeholder to identify where multiple NECs within a rating are eligible for a stated award level. Sailors in the specified rating who hold an NEC that includes the numbers preceding X are eligible for SRB. For example, SO O9XA includes SO O91A and SO O92A, and T1XB includes all subsurface Electronics Technician navigation NECs contained in T1XA series.
(6) Reenlistment bonuses for nuclear-trained Sailors.
(a) Reenlistment compensation for zones 1 through 3 nuclear-trained Sailors holding a nuclear supervisor NEC shall be provided under the Enlisted Supervisor Retention Pay (ESRP) Program in line with policies and procedures detailed in reference (c) along with current ESRP multiples.
(b) SRB entitlement for eligible nuclear-trained Sailors who reenlist after applying for an officer program will be held pending selection results. For nuclear-trained Sailors only, the date on which conditional release is approved by Nuclear Propulsion Program Manager (OPNAV N133) as directed in reference (d), is considered the date of the application to an officer program with the exception of Seaman-to-Admiral-21 Nuclear Option (STA-21(N)) and Limited Duty Officer (LDO). For STA-21(N) and LDO, the application deadline is considered the suspense date.
(7) E-4 to E-6 Sailors only. Sailors selected for E-7 advancement are not eligible for SRB.
(8) E-3 to E-5 Sailors only. Sailors selected for E-6 advancement are not eligible for SRB.
(9) FCA SRB eligibility contingent upon holding an Aegis Weapon System baseline technician or element supervisor NEC.
(10) CTIs must meet minimum language readiness standard(L2/R2) for SRB eligibility, unless they possess a valid *Inability to Test* waiver from the Navy Language, Regional Expertise and Culture Office (OPNAV N13F). Sailors holding a CTI NEC must be differentiated by the Enlisted Manning Code (EMC). Only Sailors having one of the following NECs and assigned in the respective EMC are eligible for SRB:
(a) NEC: 813A/9RUS, EMC: B516.
(b) NEC: 9ARB/9HEB, EMC: B511.
(c) NEC: 9CMN/9KOR, EMC: B512.
(11) Sailors are eligible for a +0.5 pay for performance SRB kicker contingent upon meeting all requirements specified in paragraph 6 below.
(12) For submarine Sailors only.
5. Sailors must reenlist within 270-days of their end of active obligated service (EAOS), except in the following cases:
a. Nuclear-trained Sailors.
b. Sailors who must obligate service (OBLISERV) to execute a permanent change of station move will be allowed to reenlist early any time within 1 Calendar Year of the detachment month, but not later than the date of detachment from the last intermediate duty station.
6. The pay for performance program is being piloted as part of the Navy’s overall talent management process improvement effort called Sailor 2025. Sailor 2025 is modernizing personnel management and training policies and systems to more effectively identify, recruit and train talented people and
manage the force while improving warfighting readiness. Eligibility and submission requirements are as follows:
a. To be eligible, Sailors must:
(1) Be in the EM, EN, GSM, MM(SW), DC, HT, MR, CSS or AWS rating.
(2) Have received two Early Promotes (EPs) in block 45 of their three most recent periodic evaluations. Block 8 may indicate REGULAR, FROCKED or SELECTED. Block 10 must be checked for periodic. No transfer, concurrent or special evaluations will apply. Evaluations are not limited to performance documented in the last three years. The intent is to evaluate the last three periodic evaluations, irrespective of how far back in a career that may go, so as not to limit eligibility to only those who have served at a single duty station for at least three years.
(3) Have not received Non-Judicial Punishment within the last 3 years.
(4) Have not failed any part of the physical fitness assessment in the last 3 years.
b. Commands must submit a NAVPERS 1306/7, Enlisted Personnel Action Request, requesting the SRB kicker, signed copies of the evaluations of the Sailor and a printout of their physical readiness information management system data to BUPERS-328 once their precertification has been submitted. This requirement is only for those who fall under the provisions of this paragraph.
c. Award ceiling cap values under $100,000 will be raised by $5,000 for Sailors eligible for the performance kicker. For example EN Zone A award ceiling will be raised from $30,000 to $35,000 for Sailors who qualify for the performance kicker. Award ceiling caps will not be adjusted over $100,000 under these provisions.
7. SRB Submission Requirements
a. Commands are required to submit SRB reenlistment requests to BUPERS-328 via OPINS or NSIPS 35 to 120 days in advance of the requested reenlistment date of the Sailor. Requests submitted less than 35 days prior to the requested reenlistment date will be rejected. However, commands may contact BUPERS-328 for waiver eligibility and procedures. Sailors must have an approved SRB request before reenlisting. The servicing personnel office is responsible for verifying the reenlistment, posting the contract, releasing the first payment and verifying the master military pay account. Commands shall immediately notify the Military Pay and Compensation Branch (OPNAV N130), when a Sailor fails to maintain eligibility in the skill for which SRB was paid (e.g., loss of security clearance, medical disqualification, loss of eligible NEC, misconduct) or when a Sailor has an approved separation with a remaining SRB contract obligation.
b. Career Waypoints – Reenlistment (C-WAY-REEN). Commands are authorized to submit SRB reenlistment requests prior to a Sailor receiving a C-WAY-REEN quota. However, the C-WAY-REEN quota request must be submitted. In these cases, the SRB request will not be processed until the Sailor has received C-WAY-REEN confirmation.
SRB requests without C-WAY-REEN quota approval will be rejected in OPINS to keep the command informed of potential SRB approval issues.
Once a Sailor has an approved C-WAY-REEN quota, the command should contact BUPERS-328 to clear any rejections. Failure to submit an SRB reenlistment request within the required 35 to 120-day submission window due to awaiting a C-WAY-REEN quota does not meet eligibility requirements for a 35-day submission waiver.
c. Sailors with approved SRB requests who do not reenlist on the date or for the term specified in the precertification message must have their command contact BUPERS-328 to initiate a reenlistment cancelation to avoid placing Sailors in an overpaid status.
d. To validate an inoperative extension of enlistment and expedite processing of an SRB request, include the following information in the remarks paragraph of the request: term, narrative reason, authority and execution date of all inoperative extensions. Failure to verify extension will cause processing delays and may result in rejection of the request or approval at a lower amount.
e. Sailors must obtain approval for an extension from BUPERS-328 in order to minimize the potential for loss of SRB eligibility.
8. Acceptance of an NEC-specific SRB contract indicates an agreement between the Sailor and the Navy to use skills attributed to the NEC during the enlistment of the Sailor to meet Fleet readiness requirements. In subsequent tours, a Sailor must be willing to be detailed during the normal projected rotation date window to an available billet within the SRB contracted NEC, consistent with sea-shore flow requirements. Lateral conversions must follow reference (e), subparagraph 12d. Lateral conversion requests will normally not be processed more than 9 months before the EAOS. Conversions to a rate with a lower award level normally will not be approved. Personnel in a closed-loop NEC can reenlist by the NEC only.
9. Reference (e), paragraph 16f, provides OBLISERV to Train (OTT) guidance. Requests are to be submitted to BUPERS-328 extension desk via e-mail. A copy of the authorization message should be retained by the Sailor until the SRB reenlistment on graduation day from the course of instruction. Use code 1CC for OTT SRB request in OPINS or NSIPS. Additionally, OBLISERV requirements for schools are provided in reference (f). OBLISERV will be determined based on the course length, as provided in paragraph 3b of reference (f). Paragraph 3c(1) no longer applies.
10. In keeping with Department of Defense (DoD) policy, Sailors who accepted an enlistment bonus for extended enlistment (EBEE), as reflected on their Enlisted Bonus Payment Checklist (NAVCRUIT 1133/52, Enlistment Guarantees, New Accession Training Program Enlistment Guarantee or Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program Enlistment Guarantees), are not authorized to use this inoperative extension time in the SRB calculation. Sailors who have inoperative extension time through a 5-year obligation or 6-year obligation program may continue to have up to 24 months of inoperative extension time count towards the SRB calculation provided the reenlistment results in a new EAOS that is at least 24 months day-for-day past the current extended EAOS. This calculation is performed automatically by BUPERS-328. Local commands are not authorized to cancel or change extensions for the purpose of immediate SRB reenlistments. Commands must verify and annotate on the precertification request whether any inoperative extension time noted is part of an EBEE contract.
11. Repayment policy is governed by section 373 of Title 37, U.S. Code, DoD Financial Management Regulation (FMR) Chapter 2, Volume 7A and reference (e), which collectively determines when repayment of the unearned portion of a bonus is required or not required but left to Secretarial discretion or prohibited. Section 373 of Title 37, U.S. Code, requires repayment with certain exceptions. As a general rule, repayment of any unearned portion of a bonus will be sought.
12. Sailors who have reenlisted and have not received their SRB payment or have questions concerning the taxation of their SRB and annual installments should work with their Command Pay and Personnel Administrator to contact the servicing pay office or personnel support detachment to resolve those issues. SRB tax information is also discussed in DoD FMR, Volume 7A, Chapter 44, table 44-1, rule
5. The point of contact for a Sailor with questions regarding the SRB program or any information on their on-line personnel account is their CCC. For questions regarding current award levels, check the SRB website, then click on the *SRB* tab. For technical questions or clarification, CCCs, not individual Sailors, are encouraged to contact BUPERS-328 at (901) 874-3215 or (901) 874-3915/DSN 882 or via e-mail at mill_incen_pays(at)navy.mil or contact the SRB Help Desk at (901) 874-2526/DSN 882.
13. We will continue to assess retention behavior and adjust SRB award levels accordingly.
14. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled, whichever comes first.
15. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//
If you are unable to successfully complete and send this form, please feel free to send me an email with your question.
A Navy recruiting blog that delves into the military enlistment process and benefits of service. This is NOT an official United States Navy or government web site. The opinions expressed are my own, and may not be in-line with any branches of the government or military.
Unless otherwise noted, content written by Thomas Goering, NCCM USN(RET).
©Navy CyberSpace. All Rights Reserved.