4 Responses to “Navy SRB Guidance as of June 2017”
Leave a Reply
Before asking a question, please read the article and comments -- your question may already be answered! Here is a site search to assist you:
Released June 21, 2017 via NAVADMIN 144/17, the latest Navy’s Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB) guidance update.
R 211445Z JUN 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUN//
SUBJ/SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS UPDATE//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/211611ZDEC16//
REF/B/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/121706ZOCT16//
REF/C/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/221403ZMAR13//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 284/16, SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS UPDATE (CORRECTED COPY). REF B IS NAVADMIN 225/16, ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY UPDATE (CORRECTED COPY). REF C IS NAVADMIN 070/13, NUCLEAR TRAINED SAILOR APPLICATIONS TO OFFICER COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS. REF D IS OPNAVINST 1160.8A, SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS (SRB) PROGRAM. REF E IS MILPERSMAN ARTICLE 1306-604, ACTIVE OBLIGATED SERVICE (OBLISERV) FOR SERVICE SCHOOLSY.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces revised Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB) award levels and reenlistment policy for Active Component (AC) and Full-Time Support (FTS). This NAVADMIN supersedes reference (a).
2. Decreased award levels are effective 30 days after notification through this NAVADMIN or posting on the Navy Personnel Command website.
3. Reenlistment requests for the following SRB award levels will be approved based on quota availability. SRB reenlistment requests must be submitted to Enlisted Career Administration/Enlisted Boards (PERS-813) via Officer Personnel Information System (OPINS) or Navy Standard Integrated Personnel System (NSIPS) 35 to 120 days in advance of the requested reenlistment date for the Sailor. Eligible Sailors desiring SRB reenlistment are encouraged to work with their chain of command as early as possible within their reenlistment window to maximize potential for SRB. PERS-813 maintains the current list of SRB eligible ratings/skills based on available quotas at the following website. Addendums to the current award message posted on this site provide notification of skill closures and supersede the current NAVADMIN. For those commands with limited internet access, command career counselors (CCC) should contact PERS-813 directly for the latest updates.
4. FTS SRB award levels are as follows: Tier 3: 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES NC 2186 0.0 1.0 0.0 5. AC SRB award levels are as follows (Note: a * indicates a level located in other sections of paragraph 5, a - indicates a reduction from previous award level). a. AC SRB Award Levels: Tier One: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AWS 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1 CS(SS) 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1, 2 CTM 9229 1.0 0.0 0.0 3 EOD 5333 2.5 -2.0 0.0 IT 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1, 3 ITS 27XX * * 0.5 3, 5 ND 5342 0.0 0.5 * ND 5343 0.5 0.0 0.0 STG 0000 0.0 -1.0 0.0 1, 4 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AM 7225 0.0 2.0 0.0 CTI 9SPA * -0.0 0.0 3 CTN 0000 0.5 * * 1, 3 EOD 5335 4.5 * * ETR(SS) 14XXA 0.0 1.0 * 2, 5, 6 FT 13XX 0.0 0.5 * 5 HM 8402 0.0 0.0 0.5 MT 33XX * 0.5 0.0 5 ND 5342 0.0 * 0.5 OS 0319 0.0 1.5 0.5 SB 5352 4.0 * * SO 5326 4.0 * * STS 0000 * 0.5 * 1 60,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CTR 9149 0.0 1.5 2.0 3 EOD 5335 * 4.5 * FC AEGIS 0000 3.0 * 0.0 1, 4 HM 8403 0.0 2.5 1.5 HM 8425 0.0 1.5 1.0 HM 8427 3.5 0.5 0.0 HM 8494 0.0 2.5 1.5 IS 3913 0.0 1.0 0.5 3 ITS 27XX * 0.5 * 3, 5 MMA(SS) 42XXA * 0.5 0.0 2, 5, 6 MMW(SS) 42XXB * 1.5 * 2, 5, 6 SB 539XB 6.0 * 0.0 5, 6 SO 539XA 6.0 * 0.0 5, 6 75,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CTI 9520 0.0 2.5 2.5 3 CTI 9ARB 1.5 2.0 0.0 3 CTI 9CMN 2.0 2.0 0.0 3 CTI 9PES 1.5 0.0 0.0 3 CTI 9RUS 1.5 0.0 0.0 3 CTI 9SPA 2.0 * 0.0 3 CTN 9326/27/28 5.5 5.5 5.5 3 CTN 0000 * 2.5 2.0 1, 3 EOD 5335 * * 4.5 ET(SW) 0000 0.0 0.5 0.5 1, 2, 4 FC 0000 0.0 -0.5 0.5 1, 4 ITS 27XX 0.5 * * 3 SB 5352 * 5.5 * SB 539XB * 6.0 0.0 5, 6 SO 5323 6.5 * * SO 5326 * 5.5 * SO 539XA * 6.0 0.0 5, 6 90,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES ND 5341 0.0 0.0 4.5 SO 5323 * 6.5 * 100,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES EMN(SS) 3354/64 -5.5 8.0 0.0 2, 7 EMN(SW) 3384/94 -5.0 -7.0 0.0 2, 7 EOD 5337 0.0 5.5 5.5 ETN(SS) 3353/63 -11.0 9.0 0.0 2, 7 ETN(SW) 3383/93 7.5 -7.5 0.0 2, 7 MMN(ELT)(SS)3356/66 -10.0 8.0 0.0 2, 7 MMN(ELT)(SW)3386/96 -8.5 -7.5 0.0 2, 7 MMN(SS) 3355/65 -8.0 9.0 0.0 2, 7 MMN(SW) 3385/95 -6.0 -7.0 0.0 2, 7 SB 5352 * * 6.5 SO 5323 * * 6.5 SO 5326 * * 6.5 STS 0416S 0.0 -0.0 7.5 6 Tier Two: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES CS(SW) 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1, 2 HM 8401 1.5 * 0.0 8 YN(SS) 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1, 2 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AC 0000 1.5 1.5 0.0 1, 4 Seabee 5931 0.0 3.0 1.5 Seabee 5932 2.0 1.0 0.0 CTT 9135 0.0 0.5 0.0 3 GSM 0000 0.0 0.5 0.0 1, 4 HM 8401 * 0.5 0.0 HM 8493 2.0 0.5 0.0 HM 8541 0.5 1.5 0.0 IC 0000 0.0 1.0 * 1, 4 MMA(SS) 42XXA 1.5 * 0.0 2, 5, 6 MMW(SS) 42XXB 2.0 * * 2, 5, 6 MR 4402 0.0 0.5 0.0 MT 33XX 0.5 * 0.0 5 60,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES Seabee 5933 0.0 0.0 3.0 CTR 9169 1.0 1.0 0.0 3, 9 ETV(SS) 14XXB * 0.5 * 2, 5, 6 75,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES FC AEGIS 0000 * 3.0 0.0 1, 4 STG 0416 0.0 4.5 5.5 4 STS 0000 0.5 * * 1 Tier Three: 30,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AG 7412 * 1.0 0.0 8 AWF 8235 1.0 1.0 0.0 AWS 7886 0.0 1.0 0.0 AWV 8229 1.0 0.5 0.0 CTT 0000 -0.0 0.0 0.0 1, 3 EO 0000 0.5 0.0 0.0 1 ETR(SS) 14XXA * * 0.5 2, 5, 6 ETV(SS) 14XXB * * 0.5 2, 5, 6 FT 13XX 0.0 * 0.5 5 HM 8506 0.0 0.5 0.0 HM 8708 0.0 0.5 0.0 HM 8753 * 0.5 0.5 HT 4955 1.0 0.5 0.0 IC 0000 0.0 * 1.0 1 MA 2005 -0.0 0.0 0.0 MMW(SS) 42XXB * * 0.5 2, 5, 6 STS 0000 * * 0.5 1 45,000 DOLLAR AWARD CEILING RATING NEC ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C NOTES AG 7412 1.5 * 0.0 8 AWO 0000 1.0 0.0 0.0 1, 4 Seabee 5633 -0.0 -0.0 0.0 HM 8753 0.5 * *
(1) Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) 0000 (commonly referred to as quad zero) is listed here to establish that Sailors in these ratings/career fields can hold any or no NEC and still be qualified for the SRB provided they meet all other applicable non- NEC related criteria.
(2) Subsurface or surface designation does not mean an individual must be subsurface or enlisted surface warfare specialist qualified, but it indicates the component of the rating in which they can reasonably be expected to serve. Training, qualifications, and previous or projected duty assignments at sea will indicate the appropriate rating component. When using the force management system and the OPINS to input a SRB precertification request, use the rating (with appropriate suffix designation/NEC) as specified in this NAVADMIN. For example, a surface electronics technician with no NEC would submit ‘ET(SW)’ on precertification for rating.
(3) A SRB approval for all CT, IS, IT, and ITS ratings will be contingent upon the Service Member having a current single scope background investigation (SSBI), an active SSBI or recent submission of a SSBI package. Commands must verify the Service Member has a current SSBI, active SSBI, or has submitted a SSBI package and make note of this in the comments section of the precertification request.
(4) E-3 to E-6 personnel only.
(5) X is used as a placeholder to identify where multiple NECs within a rating are eligible for a stated award level. Service Members in the specified rating that hold a NEC that includes the numbers preceding X or XX are eligible for SRB. For example, SO 539XA includes SO 5391 and SO 5392 or 14XX includes all subsurface electronics technician navigation NECs beginning with 14.
(6) Letters appearing with a NEC are only for administrative use.
(7) Reenlistment bonuses for nuclear trained personnel:
(a) Reenlistment compensation for zones 1 through 3 nuclear trained personnel holding a nuclear supervisor NEC shall be provided under the Enlisted Supervisor Retention Pay (ESRP) Program in line with policies and procedures detailed in reference (b) along with current ESRP multiples.
(b) SRB entitlement for eligible nuclear-trained Service Members who reenlist after applying for an officer program will be held pending selection results. For nuclear trained personnel only, the date on which conditional release is approved by Nuclear Propulsion Program Manager (N133) as directed in reference (c) is considered the date of the application to an officer program.
(8) E-4 to E-6 personnel only.
(9) E-3 to E-5 personnel only.
6. Sailors must reenlist within 90 days and in the same fiscal year as their End of Active Obligated Service (OBLISERV (EAOS)), except in the following cases:
a. Nuclear trained Sailors.
b. Sailors eligible for combat zone tax exclusion (CZTE) are authorized to reenlist anytime within the same fiscal year as their EAOS. These Sailors, along with CCC must annotate in the remarks section of the precertification request whether they are currently CZTE eligible or serving in a qualified hazardous duty area. A condition of approval of their precertification request is that the reenlistment of the Sailor occurs in a month during which CZTE qualification applies.
c. Sailors who received an Early Promote in block 45 of their most recent regular periodic evaluation will be allowed to reenlist early any time within the fiscal year of their EAOS. No transfer, concurrent, or special evaluations will apply. Sailors advanced within the 12 months prior to their EAOS will be allowed to substitute the last regular periodic evaluation in their previous pay grade. Personnel must e-mail a signed copy of the evaluation to PERS-81 once their precertification has been submitted. This requirement is only for those that fall under the provisions of this paragraph.
7. SRB Submission Requirements
a. Commands are required to submit SRB reenlistment requests to PERS-813 via OPINS or NSIPS 35 to 120 days in advance of the requested reenlistment date of the Sailor. Requests submitted less than 35 days prior to the requested reenlistment date will be rejected. However, commands may contact PERS-813 for waiver eligibility and procedures. Sailors must have an approved SRB request before reenlisting. The servicing personnel office is responsible for verifying the reenlistment, posting the contract, releasing the first payment, and verifying the master military pay account.
b. Career Waypoints – Reenlistment (C-WAY-REEN). Commands are authorized to submit SRB reenlistment requests prior to a Service Member receiving a C-WAY-REEN quota. However, the C-WAY-REEN quota request must be submitted. In these cases, the SRB request will not be processed until the Service Member has received C-WAY-REEN confirmation. SRB requests without C-WAY-REEN approval will be rejected in OPINS to keep the command informed of potential SRB approval issues. Once a Service Member has an approved C-WAY-REEN quota, the command should contact PERS-813 to clear any rejections. Failure to submit a SRB reenlistment request within the required 35 to 120 day submission window due to awaiting a C-WAY-REEN quota does not meet eligibility requirements for a 35 day submission waiver.
c. Sailors with approved SRB requests who do not reenlist on the date or for the term specified in the precertification message must have their command contact PERS-813 to initiate a reenlistment cancellation to avoid placing Sailors in an overpaid status.
d. To validate an inoperative extension of enlistment and expedite processing of a SRB request, include the following information in the remarks paragraph of the request: term, narrative reason, authority, and execution date of all inoperative extensions. Failure to verify extension will cause processing delays and may result in rejection of the request or an approval at a lower amount.
e. Sailors must obtain an approval for extension from PERS-813 in order to minimize the potential for loss of SRB eligibility.
f. For FTS SRB reenlistment requests, use one of the below listed type codes:
(1) CODE 1RR, Immediate Reenlistment for FTS SRB.
(2) CODE 1RB, Broken Service Reenlistment for FTS SRB.
(3) CODE 1RC, OBLISERV to Train and Reenlist for FTS SRB.
8. Acceptance of a NEC-specific SRB contract indicates an agreement between the Sailor and the Navy to use skills attributed to the NEC during the enlistment of the Sailor to meet fleet readiness requirements. In subsequent tours, a Sailor must be willing to be detailed during the normal projected rotation date window to an available billet within the SRB contracted NEC, consistent with sea- shore flow requirements. Lateral conversions must follow reference (d), paragraph 12d. Lateral conversion requests will normally not be processed more than nine months before the EAOS. Conversions to a rate with a lower award level normally will not be approved. Personnel in a closed-loop NEC can reenlist by the NEC only.
9. Reference (d), paragraph 12e, provides OBLISERV to Train (OTT) guidance. Requests are to be submitted to PERS-81 extension desk via e-mail.
A copy of the authorization message should be retained by the Sailor until the SRB reenlistment on graduation day from the course of instruction. Use code 1CC (1RC for FTS) for OTT SRB request in OPINS or NSIPS. Additionally, OBLISERV requirements for schools are provided in reference (e). OBLISERV will be determined based on the course length as provided in paragraph 3.b. of reference (e). Paragraph 3.c.(1) no longer applies.
10. In keeping with Department of Defense (DoD) policy, personnel who accepted an enlistment bonus for extended enlistment (EBEE), as reflected on their Enlisted Bonus Payment Checklist (NAVCRUIT 1133/52 (Enlistment Guarantees, New Accession Training Program Enlistment Guarantee or Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program Enlistment Guarantees)), are not authorized to use this inoperative extension time in the SRB calculation. Sailors who have inoperative extension time through a 5-year obligation or 6-year obligation program, or as authorized in the Control of Conditional Short Term Extensions NAVADMIN, may continue to have up to 24 months of inoperative extension time count towards the SRB calculation provided the reenlistment results in a new EAOS that is at least 24 months day-for-day past the current extended EAOS. This calculation is performed automatically by PERS-813. Local commands are not authorized to cancel or change extensions for the purpose of immediate SRB reenlistments. Commands must verify and annotate on the precertification request whether any inoperative extension time noted is part of an EBEE contract.
11. Repayment policy is governed by section 373 of Title 37 of U.S. Code, Chapter 2, Volume 7A, of the DoD Financial Management Regulation (FMR), and reference (d), which collectively determines when repayment of the unearned portion of a bonus is required or not required but left to Secretarial discretion, or prohibited. Section 373 of Title 37 of U.S. Code requires repayment with certain exceptions. As a general rule, repayment of any unearned portion of a bonus will be sought.
12. To ensure all requirements and timelines are met, visit the following SRB page of the NPC website.
13. The point of contact for a Sailor who has reenlisted and has not received their SRB payment, or has questions concerning the taxation of their SRB and annual installments, is the servicing pay office or personnel support detachment of the Sailor. SRB tax information is also discussed in DoD FMR, Volume 7A, Chapter 44, table 44-1, rule 7. The point of contact for a Sailor with questions regarding the SRB program or any information on their on- line personnel account is their CCC. For technical questions or clarification, CCCs, not individual Sailors, are encouraged to contact MMNCM James Lucky, PERS-813, at (901)874-3215/DSN 882 or via e-mail at james.lucky1(at)navy.mil, or Mr. Francisco Palomo at (901) 874-3915/DSN 882, or via e-mail at francisco.palomo(at)navy.mil, or the SRB Help Desk at (901)874-2526/DSN 882.
14. We will continue to assess retention behavior and adjust SRB award levels accordingly.
15. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or cancelled, whichever comes first.
16. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//
Your SRB is calculated by multiplying your 2017 basic military pay (times) number of SRB eligible months reenlisting for (divided by 12) then multiplied by the SRB award level for your zone. Zone A is 2 to 6 years, Zone B is 6 to 10 years and Zone C is 10 to 14 years of active service.
Before asking a question, please read the article and comments -- your question may already be answered! Here is a site search to assist you:
A Navy recruiting blog that delves into the military enlistment process and benefits of service. This is NOT an official United States Navy or government web site. The opinions expressed are my own, and may not be in-line with any branches of the government or military.
©Navy Cyberspace. All Rights Reserved.
Unless otherwise noted, content written by Thomas Goering, NCCM USN(RET).