Public Law 81-351, Career Compensation Act of 1949, 63 STAT. 802-841
Public Law 81-351, also known as the "Career Compensation Act of 1949", signed by President Truman on the 12th of October 1949, is an Act "To provide pay, allowances, and physical disability retirement for members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Coast and Geodetic Survey, Public Health Service, the reserve components thereof, the National Guard, and the Air National Guard, and for other purposes."
Public Law 81-351, 63 STAT. 802-841 :
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That this Act may be cited as the "Career Compensation Act of 1949".
Title I -- Table of Contents and Definitions
SEC. 101. This Act is divided into titles and sections according to the following table of contents:
Table of Contents
Title I -- Table of Contents and Definitions
- Sec. 101. Table of contents
- Sec. 102. Definitions
Title II -- Provisions Relating to Basic Pay and Special Pays
- Sec. 201. Basic Pay
- Sec. 202. Service creditable in computation of basic pay.
- Sec. 203. Special pay -- Physicians and dentists.
- Sec. 204. Incentive pay -- Hazardous duty.
- Sec. 205. Special pay -- Diving duty.
- Sec. 206. Special pay -- Sea and foreign duty.
- Sec. 207. Special pay -- Reenlistment bonus.
Title III -- Provisions Relating to Allowances
- Sec. 301. Basic Allowance for subsistence.
- Sec. 302. Basic allowance for quarters.
- Sec. 303. Travel and transportation allowances.
- Sec. 304. Personal money allowance.
Title IV -- Provisions Relating to Retirement, Retirement Pay, Separation and Severance Pay for Physical Disability.
- Sec. 401. Establishment of a temporary disability retired list.
- Sec. 402. Temporary disability retirement, physical disability retirement, and disability retirement pay.
- Sec. 403. Separation and severance pay for physical disability.
- Sec. 404. Periodic physical examinations.
- Sec. 405. Recovery from physical disability.
- Sec. 406. Termination of temporary disability retirement pay.
- Sec. 407. Reappointment to the active list of officers placed on the temporary disability retired list.
- Sec. 408. Physical disability resulting from intentional misconduct or willful neglect.
- Sec. 409. Rank or grade in which retired.
- Sec. 410. Cessation of benefits upon separation.
- Sec. 411. Members or former members heretofore retired for physical disability.
- Sec. 412. Definition of active service.
- Sec. 413. Regulations.
- Sec. 414. Powers, duties, and functions.
Title V -- Miscellaneous Provisions
- Sec. 501. Training duty with or Without pay of Reserve and National Guard personnel.
- Sec. 502. Active service credit in Coast and Geodetic Survey.
- Sec. 503. Payments based on purported marriages.
- Sec. 504. Contract surgeons.
- Sec. 505. Enlisted persons--Clothing allowance.
- Sec. 506. Allowance--Shore patrol duty.
- Sec. 507. Pay and allowances--Enlisted men--Philippine Scouts--Insular Force of the Navy.
- Sec. 508. Pay and allowances--Cadets and midshipmen.
- Sec. 509. Assimilation to pay and allowances of commissioned officers.
- Sec. 510. Daily rate of pay and allowances.
- Sec. 511. Retired and retainer pay of members on retired lists or receiving retainer pay.
- Sec. 512. Retired pay of members and former members of reserve components.
- Sec. 513. Retired pay grade of certain warrant officers and enlisted persons.
- Sec. 514. Retired members and former members serving on active duty.
- Sec. 515. Provision to retain present compensation and to limit the application of the Servicemen's Dependents Allowance Act of 1942, as amended.
- Sec. 516. Provisions relating to increase of retired pay by active duty.
- Sec. 517. Saving provision and amendments relating to members of the Marine Band.
- Sec. 518. Saving provision relating to former Lighthouse Service and former Bureau of Marine Inspection personnel.
- Sec. 519. Saving provision relating to members and former members receiving retirement pay on date of enactment of this act.
- Sec. 520. Saving provision relating to laws providing for pay repealed by this act.
- Sec. 521. Provisions of the Public Health Service Act amended and repealed.
- Sec. 522. Provision relating to retirement of officers specially commended for performance of duty in combat.
- Sec. 528. Amendments of the act of June 3, 1916 (39 Stat. 190; 41 Stat. 776).
- Sec. 524. Amendment of the act of February 18, 1946 (60 Stat. 20).
- Sec. 525. Amendments of the act of June 5, 1942 (56 Stat. 315).
- Sec. 526. Amendment of the act of May 27, 1908 (35 Stat. 418).
- Sec. 527. Amendment of section 4 of the Naval Aviation Cadet Act of 1942 (56 Stat. 737).
- Sec. 528. Amendment of section 4 of the Army Aviation Cadet Act (55 Stat. 240).
- Sec. 529. Amendment of the act of June 30, 1941 (55 Stat. 394).
- Sec. 530. Amendment to the National Defense Act.
- Sec. 531. Acts and parts of acts repealed.
- Sec. 532. Authorization for appropriations.
- Sec. 533. Effective date.