MEPS Confirmation ASVAB Test

ASVAB Confirmation Test

Updated: February 4, 2016

For some time now I have been getting email questions regarding the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), specifically about the confirmation test and what is it about. I answered each question confidentially and tailored the answer to the individual, I will continue to do that, but those questions prompted me to put the regulation into, hopefully, an understandable way. So here it goes! (Remember, the AFQT score is what is used to indicate your aptitude for service; it is not, by itself, the score used to determine what Navy job you may qualify for – that is what the ASVAB line scores are used for.)

Confirmation testing applies to any person who was given a retest on any version of the (ASVAB) who’s ASVAB score increased 20 AFQT points or more than their previous test score, and the two tests are taken within 6 months of each other, they are required to take the confirmation test. If 6 months passed from the date of the retest then the confirmation test is not required no matter what the AFQT point increase may have been. The rule applies regardless if it was an enlistment or a student ASVAB when deciding if a confirmation retest is required.

If you fall into the above rule, and you complete a confirmation test, your AFQT from the confirmation test must be compared to the previous test. If your confirmation test AFQT is higher than the AFQT from the previous test, or the AFQT from the confirmation test does not decrease by more than half the value of the retest’s gain, then you have met the required criteria for a successful confirmation test. The results from the test that made you take the confirmation test in the first place becomes the score you will use for enlistment, not the confirmation test score.

If your confirmation ASVAB test AFQT goes down more than half of your initial point increase (retest AFQT minus previous test AFQT), you failed the Confirmation Test.

UPDATE: Per USMEPCOM Regulation 611-1, dated November 4, 2013 — effective December 4, 2013, the Confirmation Interview requirement is no longer required. The Confirmation Test is now officially a pass/fail test based on the score you achieve as defined in this post.

An example; If you got a 33 AFQT on the first test and two months later you take a retest and score a 59 AFQT. Because the test was within 6 months the 26 point increase of your AFQT will require you to take a confirmation test (unless you wait 6 more months). If on the confirmation test you scored a 45 AFQT which is 14 points less than the retest AFQT (greater than half of the 26 point increase) – you have failed the Confirmation test.

If you are required to take the Confirmation ASVAB Test, you will no longer be allowed to take the pencil and paper ASVAB tests. If you decide not to take the Confirmation Test, then after the 6 month minimum wait post the test that triggered the confirmation requirement, you may voluntarily retest at the MEPS only. Or, you may process using your last valid test score if it meets the minimum standard for the service you are applying (the score that prompted the confirmation test would not be a valid test unless you did take the confirmation test to make it valid).

The Confirmation Test process is not the same as a Verification Test process used to certify the PiCAT ASVAB.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

927 Responses to “ASVAB Confirmation Test”

1. johnson says:

I haven’t take the verification test yet .. i just received my recruiters text message and he said that i got a 31 score and my score didn’t qualified so i call him and talk to him if i can retake it again and yeah he said no.. and he recommend me to the army.. he didn’t say about the verification test he just recommend me to join the army..

Johnson,

Then I recommend that you find an Army recruiter in the next couple of days. The Verification test MUST be taken within 30 days of taking the PiCAT online.

3. johnson says:

sir Is there a chance that i can reset my picat score and join the navy instead of AF or ARMY

Johnson,

No, you can only take the PiCAT once. If you verify the PiCAT 31QT by taking the Verification Test, you will have a 31QT. If you don’t verify the score within 30 days, then you have to take the full ASVAB.

5. johnson says:

so what if i called the army recruiter and take the verification test and get a 36 should i switch branch ?

Johnson,

The verification test only verifies the score achieved on the PiCAT, it does not change the score. If you do not pass the verification test, you will automatically be started on the regular ASVAB. Please read the PiCAT page I linked to a couple of comments ago.

7. johnson says:

Is it possible that if i take the verification in the army and take the real asvab and if get a high score can i switch like in navy or coastguard ?

Johnson,

The ASVAB is good for all branches of service, so your score can be used by any branch. Because you take a test for one branch does not obligate you to that branch. However, keep in mind that if a recruiter does test you, they fully expect that you plan to process for them. It would be a total waste of their time to test applicants who did not plan to join their service.

Also, while answering your questions, I have been assuming that you graduated high school, or at least have an equivalent Tier I education credential.

Also, keep in mind that if you fail to verify the 31QT, it means the verification test shows that when you scored the 31 that was a fluke and you more than likely would score lower on the proctored ASVAB. I recommend that you ensure you are prepared.

Links provided for your additional research.

9. Johnson says:

what if I wait like a year ? is it possible to get in again ? because I’m just wondering if my 31 score(not verified) will be voided or it will be my score forever ? because i don’t wanna join in the army

Johnson,

Under current policy, you can never take the PiCAT again. You can only take it once.

Site update: I have added a search function to the blog using Google’s custom search. It only searches this website. The search bar is currently just above where one would add a comment. As the site’s cache updates, it will be seen on all blog pages that allow and have comments.

The search results will be made available within the content of the same page you originate the search.

I hope this helps, and am sorry it took so long to find a site search option to implement.

12. johnson says:

Okay sir I have one more question.. I don’t want to verify my 31qt score so I have to wait like 30 days to take the full asvab right ?.. If I score well in the full ASVAB do I have a chance to enlist in the NAVY again since I didn’t passed my picat test ? my picat is 31 but where should I take the full asvab in the army recruiter or navy recruiter?

13. Christian says:

If I got a 61 on the ASVAB what do I need for the confirmation test or what do I have to score over

Christian,

Have you taken an ASVAB test other than the current 61QT within the previous six months? If so, what was that score?

15. Christian says:

Yes my score was a 38

Christian,

Then you need to score at least a 50QT on the Confirmation Test to confirm your 61QT (61-38=23; 23/2=11.5; 38+11.5=49.5=50QT).

17. Christian says:

Can you explain how the scoring works I read it but I didn’t understand it and which score are they going to keep

Christian,

I did the math and put it in my comment. You must score higher than one half the difference when added to the first score (your 38). The difference between the two scores (your 38 and 61) is 23 points; half of that is 11.5. 38 + 11.5 is 49.5, so you must score a minimum of a 50QT to make the 61QT become your new score of record. If you do not get the 50QT, then the 61QT becomes invalid and your 38QT becomes your score of record again. If you are going to retest again, you must wait six months from the date of your Confirmation Test, and that test MUST be taken at the MEPS.

19. Christian says:

20. Christian says:

One more question how is this test shaped is it longer shorter same length a different version what will be on it

Christian,

As you stated that you had read the article, you may have skipped this paragraph; “Confirmation testing cannot be given at a school or MET site, it will only be conducted in the MEPS and it is a full version containing all sections of the ASVAB.”

22. Michael says:

I took the ASVAB in high school but that was 5years ago and I dont remember my score and my recruiter said that it had been to long any ways so then I retook the ASVAB via PICAT and scored an 85 What should I have to score in the confirmation test at MEPS?

Michael,

If you haven’t taken two ASVABs within a six month period, there is no way you would be required to take a Confirmation Test. Are you confusing the Confirmation Test with the PiCAT Verification Test?

24. Josh says:

Will there be anyone watching you take the confirmation test at meps?

Josh,

Yes, of course. The only non-proctored test is the PiCAT itself (the PiCAT’s Verification Test is proctored).

26. Bob says:

I have never done the asvab. My recruiter gave me the afqt pre test at the recruiting office and I scored well. He set me up for the picat and I scored well on that. Now I’m scheduled to go to meps next week and take a confirmation test. I don’t have any history of test scores besides the picat. Is it even possible to take a confirmation test without having an asvab score?

Bob,

Read the article to the end. It states the Confirmation Test is not the same test as the Verification Test one must take to verify a PiCAT score.