MEPS Confirmation ASVAB Test

ASVAB Confirmation Test

Written by
Published: February 20, 2009
Updated: March 3, 2020

For some time now I have been getting email questions regarding the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), specifically about the confirmation test and what is it about. I answered each question confidentially and tailored the answer to the individual, I will continue to do that, but those questions prompted me to put the regulation into, hopefully, an understandable way. So here it goes! (Remember, the AFQT score is what is used to indicate your aptitude for service; it is not, by itself, the score used to determine what Navy job you may qualify for – that is what the ASVAB line scores are used for.)

Confirmation testing applies to any person who was given a retest on any version of the (ASVAB) whose ASVAB score increased 20 AFQT points or more than their previous test score, and the two tests are taken within 6 months of each other, they are required to take the confirmation test. If 6 months passed from the date of the retest then the confirmation test is not required no matter what the AFQT point increase may have been. The rule applies regardless if it was an enlistment or a student ASVAB when deciding if a confirmation retest is required.

Confirmation testing cannot be given at a school or MET site, it will only be conducted in the MEPS and it is a full version containing all sections of the ASVAB.

If you fall into the above rule, and you complete a confirmation test, your AFQT from the confirmation test must be compared to the previous test. If your confirmation test AFQT is higher than the AFQT from the previous test, or the AFQT from the confirmation test does not decrease by more than half the value of the retest’s gain, then you have met the required criteria for a successful confirmation test. The results from the test that made you take the confirmation test in the first place becomes the score you will use for enlistment, not the confirmation test score.

If your confirmation ASVAB test AFQT goes down more than half of your initial point increase (retest AFQT minus previous test AFQT), you failed the Confirmation Test.

UPDATE: Per USMEPCOM Regulation 611-1, dated November 4, 2013 — effective December 4, 2013, the Confirmation Interview requirement is no longer required. The Confirmation Test is now officially a pass/fail test based on the score you achieve as defined in this post.

An example; If you got a 33 AFQT on the first test and two months later you take a retest and score a 59 AFQT. Because the test was within 6 months the 26 point increase of your AFQT will require you to take a confirmation test (unless you wait 6 more months). If on the confirmation test you scored a 45 AFQT which is 14 points less than the retest AFQT (greater than half of the 26 point increase) – you have failed the Confirmation test.

If you are required to take the Confirmation ASVAB Test, you will no longer be allowed to take the pencil and paper ASVAB tests. If you decide not to take the Confirmation Test, then after the 6 month minimum wait post the test that triggered the confirmation requirement, you may voluntarily retest at the MEPS only. Or, you may process using your last valid test score if it meets the minimum standard for the service you are applying (the score that prompted the confirmation test would not be a valid test unless you did take the confirmation test to make it valid).

The Confirmation Test process is not the same as a Verification Test process used to certify the PiCAT ASVAB.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

1,158 Responses to “ASVAB Confirmation Test”

Emmanuel,

Is what possible?

Yes, any retest would be another full version of the ASVAB.

2. Emmanuel says:

Because someone just commented saying about confirmation test after d 6months long wait and also does assembly object counts on d AFQT score?

Emmanuel,

No, assembling objects is not used when calculating the ASVAB AFQT.

4. Emmanuel says:

So why do they have d section for Assembly Object

Emmanuel,

Read the page I have linked to in my previous comment. The AFQT only determines whether or not you can join; the individual line scores determine what jobs you can do.

6. Emmanuel says:

So let’s say you with Navy recruiter and you took the ASVAB test and pass can you decided to switch to the Active duty

7. Bhavish says:

So I just took the PICAT exam from my understanding is when passed I take the verification exam and normally I’m a nervous test taker so what if I pass the exam but at a lower score will I still take the full ASVAB or will I continue on but with a lower score.

Bhavish,

The PiCAT Verification Test does not produce a score like the ASVAB Confirmation Test does. The Verification Test only verifies the score you achieved on the PiCAT was a reflection of your work. If you pass the Verification test, then the PiCAT score stands — if not, your PiCAT score would not be valid and you would have to take the ASVAB to attempt a qualifying score for enlistment.

9. Junior says:

Can I join without taken the confirmation test after 6 month ?

what others choices I have with out taken the confirmation test ?

Junior,

After six months, you must retake the ASVAB at the MEPS if you did not take your Confirmation Test.

11. Devonte says:

Do I have to take the asvab confirmation test if I switch branches?
    For an example, if my branch is the Navy; I got a 38 on the asvab and I was required to take the confirmation test in 10 days, if i switch from the Navy to the Army in those 10 days; would the Army require it?

Devonte,

The ASVAB is not service specific. If MEPS says you need a Confirmation Test after taking the test for the Navy, then you need a confirmation test no matter what branch you process for.

13. Syed says:

Please help me, I am so confused. I live in NYC. I took the picat test from my home. After that I met with my recruiter and fill up some forms for process to meps. At the time I asked what kind of test I have to take at meps, he said Asvab. But I talked about verification test but he ignored. Also he want me to write a letter officially, why I joint in military? Can you explain anyone please. I am so confused.

Syed,

Many recruiters use the PiCAT as a practice test for the ASVAB; their thinking is you learn from the PiCAT, and then do even better on the ASVAB. It is not what the PiCAT was designed for, but sometimes that is how it is used.

15. CJ says:

Okay , I am completely confused , this question may clear up a lot for the lost ones out there. I took my ASVAB the first time, scored a low 25, took it the second time my recruiter told me I scored 20+ points higher and that I had to take ANOTHER test (confirmation of course). I was confused at first, this chat gave me a little insight. But my recruiter is telling my that the Confirmation Test is like the Verification Test. 30 questions & 30 minutes to do them. I’ve seen in the this chat, “It’s a full version of the asvab”, so what is it really. A full version of the asvab ? Or 30 questions? (ASVAB Confirmation Test).

CJ,

According to the latest version (released, January 10, 2019) of USMEPCOM Regulation 611-1, Personnel Selection and Classification Enlistment Qualification Tests;

“b. Confirmation testing applies to applicants who were administered retests on any form of the ASVAB within 6 months of their previous test. There is no distinction between enlistment and student ASVAB when deciding if a confirmation retest is required. Confirmation testing will be conducted in the MEPS (see Chapter 6 for further guidance pertaining to the Honolulu MET sites). The confirmation test score will not be used as the score of record for enlistment. The confirmation test will be administered as a complete test.

17. CJ says:

So is it another full version of the ASVAB or just 30 Questions with all sections ?

CJ,

I thought the bolded statement, “The confirmation test will be administered as a complete test.” made it clear it was a full version of the ASVAB. My apologies.

19. CJ says:

????Sorry good sir, these recruiter’s just be lying to me so I like to 2nd question. My apologies, Thankyou for the information and clearing this up for me.

20. THS says:

Took the ASVAB, and failed it, never got any details as to where I needed the additional work. I studied for a month, with tutors and 30 days later took it again. I was told I got 20+ points higher, but my recruiter says he doesn’t have a score to give me. He says I must take a confirmation test, recruiter says they think I cheated. 4 days later I take the confirmation test at Meps, and a day later I get the score from the test that triggered the confirmation (i passed), and was given probable a boot camp date. I was happy I passed, but after thinking It over, I realized my new score didn’t qualify me for the JOB I wanted. I decided I would take the test in 30 days, now that had a exact idea of the areas that I needed to work on to improve my overall score. But, when I spoke with my recruiter he told me that I would have to wait for six months to take another ASVAB. I was sure I had another chance before having to wait six months, but the recruiter said the confirmation test was counted as of my tries. I felt cheated. How could this test count bad an actual test when the score doesn’t even count, and I’m obligated to take the test or forces to wait six months. I feel like I am being punished for working hard and preparing for the retake ASVAB and doing well. I’m what are my options!?!

THS,

You do have to wait six months from the date of the Confirmation Test before you can take another retest. A Confirmation Test is given to confirm the point increase from the first test to the retest was a true picture of your ability. It isn’t a test given because they thought you cheated; if they actually had that belief, it would be based on much more than a score increase — they would not have given you a Confirmation Test; they would have immediately invalidated the test, and would make you wait six months with all future testing having to be completed at the MEPS.

22. Josh says:

I took my ASVAB already with a recruiter went to MEPS and took a confirmation test then I got disqualified for a scar I had so I didn’t get to chose my job but sense then I’ve became interested in a job that my score isn’t high enough for so would I be able to retest even after taking a confirmation test at MEPS and going through all the initial paperwork

Josh,

As long as you are not in DEP, you can retake the ASVAB six months after the date of your Confirmation test.

24. CJ says:

Pass the ASVAB the first time , don’t think “hey I got a second time, and maybe even a third time if I don’t pass”…. NO, pass the first time, it will make your life sooo much easier trust me , I’ve went through all 3 and it was such a hassle , took months on end , I probably could’ve been in by now if I passed the first time but hey, it is what it is. Moral of the story , pass the first time, get that tutor and study hard the first time, because if you fail the first time, and go crazy studying the 2nd time and pass you gotta take a confirmation test (weird but…). That confirmation test isn’t what it seems , it has way more questions on each section than it did the first 2 and the time frames are different. There are way more questions and if you are only prepared for those 15 … I don’t know what to say. My recruiter never hit me back regarding my scores after my confirmation test. Each day I woke up I was on the edge of my seat awaiting that “Hey , congrats you passed”. Well it didn’t end that way, and after the first week my hope kinda died down anyway. Hey texted me instead of calling me regarding my scores .. hence what I said , my heart sunk when he told me I didn’t pass. I asked by how many points I was off or what score did I get. He couldn’t supply me with an answer which was weird because they have to tell you your score. So I felt like it was a sign , like I wasn’t even suppose to be going to the military. A lot of people I know HATE the military and that’s with a passion. The whole time i’m going through the process, I’m just thinking of leaving , and I was trying to get shipped out fast . But hey, things are going to change and if they do just go with the flow. Because your life is already written out in stone for you, everything & every bodies is. Time is going to keep ticking and is going to keep moving regardless , and if your not in that state “Hey , no biggy” and brush it off, then it’s going to be tough. Lol moral of the story , pass the first time , and things will go a lot smoother for you ! Trust me …

25. JHANNEN says:

HI , I WANT TO KNOW IF THE VERIFICATION TEST HAS THE SAME QUESTIONS AS THE 3 HOUR TEST THAT I TOOK ?

Jhannen,

The Verification test is a short test taken to verify a PiCAT score. The questions are not the same. The article you posted to is about the Confirmation Test; it is a complete retaking of the ASVAB, and it is used for the reasons stated clearly in the article.

27. Michael G says:

Hey so I took the AVAB the first time I panic scored a 13 in 30 minutes my ma was upset that I didn’t stay to take the test I froze so I was told I could retest I waited 30 days but I waited like 30 plus days took the second test both times at the MEPS place located in Chicago Illinois each time my ma took me and patiently waited the second time I tested scored a 33 I am 18 just getting out of high school 2020 a hard year so I got in the car United States Airforce didn’t score high enough so several months go by United States Marines Corp reached out to me I’m so excited did everything they asked but bad knews hit I have to retake the test cause I failed the first time and pass the second time what do I do what test is next please can someone help me thanks. I just want to join the service.

Michael G.,

Your 33QT score would not have been confirmed if you didn’t take and pass the Confirmation test within 6 months, so it was invalidated (I am assuming six month has passed). So, now, you must retake the ASVAB at MEPS. If six months hasn’t passed since your test that resulted in the 33, then you must go to MEPS and take a Confirmation Test — if you pass the Confirmation Test, then it would validate the 33QT. Either way, you have another ASVAB test to take.

29. Ann says:

I scored 26, then 2 months later 55. During confirmation the test glitched as I was starting Ar. The proctor put in code but it skipped entire section. It said AR completed and just went to next section. I told proctor I didn’t do it, he said maybe u don’t need to, just go on with the test. Anyway, I said how will I get 41 without that section? I told my recruiter after the test and he said we have to wait for your scores. I told him that I didn’t do that entire section there is no way I could pass the confirmation. He told me they gave him the AR scores over the phone- they were 24??? How could they be 24, I didn’t answer one question, not even the example. He said he is going to complete paperwork for an appeal. What does that mean? How long will it take? Has this happened before? Will I have to wait 6 months to retest?

Ann,

Unless MEPS determines there was an issue and approves an exception to policy, you will have to wait six months to retest.

31. Daniel says:

Hi! i tried looking all over the blog to seek answer but seems like i could not, but I took the asvab test around august 2019 and scored 32 for the navy.. and this year of 2021 January. I retest to be eligible for the Airforce and scored a 64! the bottom of the paper says Invalid.. is that normal? The recruiter have not said anything about it yet. Thank you!

Daniel,

You would have to ask your recruiter if there is an issue. Was the 32 you scored back in 2019 the first and only test you had ever taken previously? Did you require a Confirmation Test back in 2019, but didn’t take it? Did you take the test this month at the MEPS or a local testing site?

33. Daniel says:

Hi! thank you for answering. I actually took the asvab 3 times in 5 years. one was from 2015 scored a 40 and eventually just went to college. then August 2019 scored a 32. and that’s from the navy. did not have to do confirmation since i even did physical and all and was in DEP program waiting for so long and no any new recruiters tried helping me. so i went airforce. Took the test January 7,2021 scored a 64. and all those times i only took the test at MEPS. actually just got ahold of the recruiter and he’s new to the station. recruiter said the Score did reflect in there system already and it is indeed 64. i guess, i just wanted confirmation it might have said invalid but it is valid? Thank you so much NCCM!