Maintain Copies Of Your Medical Records

Medical Conditions Normally Waiverable

Written by
Published: August 14, 2008
Updated: April 24, 2019

Part two of the what will and what won’t keep you out of the United States Navy medically (provided in the cases listed a waiver is granted). Part one discussed conditions that normally would not qualify for a waiver – this installment discusses the conditions in which a waiver may be granted.

If you appear to be, in all other respects, qualified for enlistment but reveal a history of one or more of the following common conditions you must be advised that the treatment records or a written summary from your private or attending physician will be of value to the examining Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) physician during the pre-enlistment physical examination and may reduce the possibility of temporary medical disqualification.

If you are considering a future in the armed forces there is no time like the present to start gathering the records of your medical past. The medical records will be sent to the MEPS in advance for a medical review so having them ready will save you a ton of time. Having the records may also preclude you from having to attend outsourced consultations which could ultimately delay even further your enlistment.

Please keep in mind this list is not all-inclusive.

Medical conditions which are normally considered waiverable (information consolidated from MEPCOM and COMNAVCRUITCOM Instructions);

• Corneal refractive surgery performed with an excimer or femtosecond laser, including but not limited to photorefractive keratectomy (PRK), laser epithelial keratomileusis (LASEK), laser assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK), and small incision lenticule extraction, if any of the following
    conditions are met is disqualifying:
    • Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeded a spherical equivalent of +8.00 or -8.00 diopters.
    • Pre-surgical astigmatism exceeded 3.00 diopters.
    • Within 180 days of accession medical examination.
    • Complications, ongoing medications, ophthalmic solutions, or any other therapeutic interventions required beyond 180 days of procedure.
    • Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by at least two separate refractions at least 1 month apart, with initial refraction at least 90 days post-procedure, and the most recent of which demonstrates either more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision or more than +/- 0.50 diopters for cylinder vision.
  • History of airway hyper responsiveness including asthma, reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, after the 13th birthday is disqualifying, and waiver potential rests with the length of time one is without any symptoms (generally greater than three years) and the results of a current spirometry.
  • History of Orthopedic surgery or injury (ORIF, retained hardware, ACL or Arthroscopic, Bankhart repair, bunionectomy).
  • History of Gynecological disorders such as Endometriosis, Cervical Dysplasia, or abnormal PAP smear.
  • History of Cardiovascular disorders such as repaired congenital heart malformation or conductive disorder (WPW) treatment.
  • History of Abdominal/Gastrointestinal disorders such as Hernia repair (must be 60 days postoperative with release from care statement), GERD, hemorrhoids.
  • History of Neurological disorders such as back pain, surgery or asymptomatic mild Scoliosis, sleepwalking, childhood epilepsy, concussion.
  • History of Urinary disorders such as kidney stones, proteinuria, or childhood enuresis.
  • History of Psychiatric disorders such as mood, personality, conduct, or behavior disorder.
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is disqualifying if:
    1. A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work accommodations after the 14th birthday;
    2. A history of comorbid mental disorders;
    3. Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or
    4. Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.
  • History of Dermatological disorders such as mild skin disorders (i.e., acne, pilonidal cyst, contact dermatitis, urticaria, and warts).

If you have hypothyroidism that is controlled by medication, and you have two normal thyroid stimulating hormone tests within the preceding 6 months, you do not require a waiver for the condition because it is NOT disqualifying. You will be able to continue your medication for the condition during boot-camp. If your recruiter thinks otherwise, point him or her to the following Operational Notice:

NAVY RECRUITING COMMAND N3 -OPERATIONS NOTICE #26
MEDICAL GUIDANCE FOR PROCESSING ENLISTED AND OFFICER APPLICANTS

1. Purpose. To provide policy guidance regarding medical counseling for Future Sailors/Officer applicants.
2. Discussion. Information provided by the Navy and Marine Corps Public health Center suggests some female recruits/applicants have been advised to stop taking oral contraceptive (OCPs, sometimes called birth control pills or BCPs) and/or thyroid replacement medications before departing for initial training. Additionally, some female Future Sailors/applicants have been advised to have their IUDs removed and/or their implanted contraceptives (Implanon) would be removed at initial training.
3. Action. Effective immediately, recruiting personnel shall not advise Future Sailors/applicants to discontinue use of OCPs, to have IUDs removed, or to stop thyroid replacement medications.
4. NAVCRUITCOM (N35) will incorporate these policy changes into the COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131.2E and 1130.8J (Officer and Enlisted Recruiting Manuals).

A note to everyone: The advice and prognostications delivered in the comments by NavyDoc are based on his years of experience as a MEPS Chief Medical Officer, and he is only able take into account the information you provide, so for a more definitive response, ensure you are thorough with the description of your issue(s).

Notice To All,

With the nearly 20 thousand medical related questions and answers available on this blog pertaining to the MEPS physical, it is very likely the answer to your question already exists within the Navy Cyberspace database. To that, I will be closing the ability to post a comment to this and the other medical pages. Please use the following search box to search the database for your answer.

If unable to find your answer after using the search function, as always, feel free to email me via the “Contact Me” link in the navigation bar, but understand, if it is obvious to me that you didn’t even attempt to use the search, I will ignore the question.

I would like to express my sincerest thank you to NavyDoc. You, Sir, have been amazing in answering over the past decade. If ever we have a chance to meet in person, dinner is on me.

2,924 Responses to “Medical Conditions Normally Waiverable”

1. Serious_Help says:

Navydoc,

I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out what documents to provide and what I should do in my situation. Is there any way I can contact you privately and ask some questions and explain where my confusion lies?

Serious_Help,

NavyDoc will not communicate privately.

To medical document submission, the correct answer is always, “all of them”.

3. Delaney says:

Hey!
    I have posted a couple times on this forum I believe. I was diagnosed with ADHD in 3rd grade. I say diagnosed loosely because I was never formally evaluated by a psychiatrist and properly diagnosed. My teacher wrote a letter to my parents about the fact I was hyper and talkative, and they took it to my pediatrician, and my pediatrician prescribed me ADHD medication. I stopped taking it in 6th grade, and have not taken it since. There was a prescription written from my pediatrician in 2015 for a non-stimulant, my mom used the medication as a scare tactic, but I never took it, and there was no more prescriptions after that one in 2015.
    I processed through MEPS and they permanently disqualified me due to the ADHD. I have since been to a psychiatrist to be formally evaluated, and I have paperwork stating that I do not have ADHD and I more than likely never had it. I submitted all of this paperwork, and was denied my waiver (in January 2018), due to “not having sufficient information about the last time I was prescribed or took ADHD medication”, but I was told by the Chief at my recruiting office, that NM3 said that by me submitting my appeal of the waiver denial would serve as my “official notice of being off ADHD medication”, and that after 6 months I can submit more paperwork to try to appeal the denial of the waiver, and that after 1 year I will be able to process with no issue, and I now have paperwork stating when the last time I was prescribed the medication (June 2015).
    What do you think my chances of obtaining my waiver, be submitting the paperwork they said I was missing?
    Respectfully, Delaney

Delaney,

If you have found the missing information they required of you the first time, then ensure it gets submitted. N3M will review it, and if they find compelling information to warrant reversing their original decision, then they will.

5. Jesse [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hello I’m currently waiting to hear back from meps I had legg calve perthes when I was 7 years old had surgery and it was fixed 100 percent that was 18 years ago I’m now 26 trying to join navy. I gave them all the dr notes from 1998 to 2004 every visit I had with him all there even a detail paper of what they did exactly. I also got a dr note from my dr saying not limits of motion and went to see a specialist on my own and gave me a paper saying in his professional opinion I would have to issues doing military work. The only thing that is left from the surgery is a scar and my hip they fixed the ball joint is 1mm larger then the left, which causes no problem no pain and leg length differences I wanted to know my chances of getting in thank you for your time.

Jesse,

I have not seen a person approved who has a history of LCPD — my personal experience, however, is very limited. I wish I could offer more. NavyDoc, a MEPS doctor, may be able to provide more insight as he may have experience with more cases.

7. Tilly says:

My son went to meps and was disqualified due to hearing, he took the test twice. He has never had an issue with hearing so was completely surprised by this. They recommended a waiver, which has been completed and sent in for consideration. I read in your forums that no hearing waivers have been granted in the past five years in any branch. I also found online the hearing thresholds changed in 2018. Because the hearing threshold is now even harder than before, do you think there will be an increase in hearing waivers now? Thank you for any advice you have. He did not have any loss above the 30db mark, which would have passed the prior thresholds I believe.

Tilly,

“Because the hearing threshold is now even harder than before, do you think there will be an increase in hearing waivers now?” — I have actually asked the same question, but have yet to receive an answer. For the Navy, CNRC N3M will use the MANMED as a guide (among many other factors) when making a determination if a waiver can and should be approved. In my question, I asked if they will follow the MANMED — it has the higher thresholds MEPS used to have. Now, the reason I am not sure is because the Navy also signed off on the new MEPS standard before they published the current levels. Also, what has not yet happened, the Navy has yet to tell MEPS they will entertain hearing waivers — their last guidance, unless something has gone out in the last two weeks, is that they will not entertain hearing waivers.

I wish I had the answer.

9. Tilly says:

So just to confirm, the navy makes the decisions for the marines?

Tilly,

Correct, the Marine Corps does not have its own medical personnel. They rely on the Navy for all things medical; Navy Corpsmen deploy with the Marines for battle field care. They process their medical waivers through BUMED.

Navy recruiting command has a staff Navy doctor that handles medical waivers for CNRC.

11. Natalie says:

My son has wanted to join the Navy his whole life. He went through MEPS and was told he needed a medical waiver. Just got news that because he was on HGH for 2.5 years (his blood tests show normal levels at this point) and he had a slipped epiphysis, that won’t let him in. Is an appeal possible – he is in excellent shape – wrestled in college, played football, ran track in high school – I can’t believe is dream is being crushed.

Natalie,

If the waiver was submitted and disapproved, there is no appeal. The Navy’s waiver authority (CNRC N3M) is the final say. He can try another branch of service.

13. Karen says:

Has there ever been a case of a knee replacement waiver for a commissioned medical position? I did Years of police work after the knee was done with no issues and then became a nurse and would like to go into a reserve position. Is the joint an absolute no? I have Ordered my surgery med records.

Karen,

I have never seen a medical waiver for a knee replacement, but if one was ever going to be considered and approved, it would be for a physician practicing in a very hard to find specialty. I have never seen waiver exceptions for nurses.

15. Zach says:

Hey Delaney I have a question for you. I’m literally In the same boat as you. Besides the 2015 prescription. If you didn’t get the prescription from 2015 do you think you would have got approved?

16. Delaney says:

Zach,
    I would like to think I would have been approved, but from what I understand, just the fact I was “diagnosed” with ADHD makes it difficult.
    I submitted paperwork again, and it was been sent to “Big Navy” in hopes it will be accepted and I will be approved the waiver.
    Submit your paperwork and see what they have to say, the answer is always no, if you don’t try.
    Let me know what happens,
    Delaney

17. Dave says:

My son was on Adderall for ADD, but has been off since May 2017. In reading the requirements for a waiver he meets all you have listed, with the possible exception of number 3. “The applicant has never taken more than a single daily dosage of medication or has not been prescribed medication for this condition for more than 24 cumulative months after the age of 14.“

He was 16 years 9 months when he stopped taking the meds, so is he outside the parameters of the above?

Just this week, he was rejected by N3M, but the Chief at the recruiting office has suggested perhaps they just need to see a greater time off the meds. Is the Chief being realistic or is this likely the end of the road? He has put all his attention into getting into the Navy, but I do not want him to keep his life on hold needlessly.

18. Dave says:

I found this in the Medical Considerations for Addmission to the Naval Academy:

“Academic skills defects, such as learning disabilities or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
    are not disqualifying if academic success can be demonstrated without the use of classroom accommodations,
    and no medication has been used in the past 12 months, with good grades.”

And this on another site, dated April 9, 2018, just three months ago:

“Under the new standards, ADD/ADHD is disqualifying only if the applicant has been treated with ADD/ADHD medication within the previous year and/or they display signs of ADD/ADHD.

For applicants with a previous history of ADD/ADHD who have been off medication for more than one year, and they do no demonstrate significant impulse activity or inattention during MEPS processing, the MEPS examining official may find them qualified for military service without submission of a waiver.

A records review is still required. Any history of being evaluated or treated for ADD/ADHD must be documented. As a minimum, all treatment (if any) within the previous three years must be submitted to MEPS, in advance, as part of the medical pre-screening. Full medical records are required if the applicant was ever treated for ADD or ADHD with any medication other than Ritalin, Adderall, or Dexedrine, or if there were any additional psychiatric symptoms, such as, but not limited to, depression.

MEPS may require school transcripts to demonstrate acceptable academic performance for the year without medication.”

Dave,

That is fine, I have no idea what sites you are looking at — the “another site” is flat wrong, and the Naval Academy doesn’t use MEPS, but the MEPS current instruction dictates (as of May 6, 2018),

a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder [is disqualifying], if with:

2. A history of comorbid mental disorders;
    3. Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or
    4. Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

20. Dave says:

I included the other references as information only; though it seems irrelevant.

As I stated, he has been off meds since May 2017, so he has met the one year requirement.

As to educational/occupational impairment, we submitted his full HS transcripts; he just graduated with a 3.9 GPA and on the Presidential Scholars List. He has also been taking classes at Miami University since he was 15 and those transcripts were submitted as well. He earned almost all A’s as a Senior while off medication. As for occupational, he has worked since last June at a part-time job while finishing HS.

He has NOT been to MEPS, we have only submitted all his records. So, understanding there is no appeal, is it realistic he could re-apply say after fall semester showing continued strong academic performance?

Thank you for your time in helping all of us who look to you for guidance.

Dave,

Since he has yet to go to the MEPS, N3M was not disapproved a waiver; they have only decided not to allow him to process. As to how long they want him to wait, I have no idea — I don’t know if his recruiter’s command might have a point of contact to ask what the expectations for another shot might be. Without explanation, I would think they expect him to wait the full two years.

22. Dave says:

“The full two years”?

Dave,

Based on what I have read so far, the only reason for the disqualification is, “Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or” — once that period is over, unless there is more in the medical records, I would think he would no longer be disqualified.

24. Dave says:

Forgive me, I am not familiar with the reference to having been prescribed meds within the last 24 months; it is not in the section you have published above. Can you direct me to the pertinent instructions?

We submitted his ENTIRE medical history since 12/2010 from the only doctor he has ever seen. Other than the script for adderall, there we only 2 or 3 other visits for minor illness.

Dave,

My apologies, I, for whatever reason, forgot to update that standard when it changed on May 6th. I have just updated it to the new standard (same as the comment I made to you previously). The instruction MEPS uses for medical is DoDI 6130.03, “MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR APPOINTMENT, ENLISTMENT, OR INDUCTION INTO THE MILITARY SERVICES” — approved, March 30, 2018, but did not become effective until May 6th.

26. Lia says:

Hi Doc,

Does the navy still normally waive astigmatism up to 5 diaopters?

Thanks!

27. Dave says:

Thank you, sir. Evidently the recruiters are not aware of that change as they were focusing on the no meds for one year. But it does sound as if he should be eligible in another year.

I was a Naval Aviator and have reminded him several times when applied to AOCS, I received a rejection letter at first, then an acceptance letter a few weeks later.

Thank you again for your time.

Lia,

As long as the eye is otherwise healthy, waivers up to 5 diopters have been considered and approved by the Navy.

Dave,

In my comment where I described the current MEPS guidance, I wrote, “The Navy will entertain a waiver to that mandatory disqualification only if no medication in the last year, and no educational/occupational impairment.”

That guidance was put out by CNRC in January 2018 by the CNRC that just did his change of command last week. I don’t know if his relief rescinded his January guidance (I doubt it), but that is what the recruiter is going off of.

30. Ayona'lee says:

Hi years ago I was in a car accident and had to have screws put in my ankle. I was also born with club feet but it was fixed when I was a baby. I tried joining the Navy years ago but when I sent my medical records,they didn’t approve me to go to MEPS. I believe my recruiter told me that i could try again if i had the screws removed. I didn’t see this in the disqualification list so do you think I should try again?

Ayona’lee,

Hardware in the ankle is PDQ. Waiver is on a case by case basis, depending largely on whether or not the doctor at MEPS can feel your hardware. If not approved to process again, ask your recruiter if it would be possible to try and gain permission from the waiver authority to have MEPS provide a physical so they can at least examine the ankle.

32. Ayona'lee says:

I’m that case should i have the hardware removed first and then try to join again?

Ayona’lee,

I never recommend surgery just so you can attempt to join. I do recommend having them relook at your record since it has been a few years since your last look.

34. Henry says:

Does having high blood pressure prevent you from enlisting in the Navy

Henry,

36. Tim says:

Many thanks for all your help. My 18 year old son wants to join the Marine Corps, but has some sleepwalking history after 13 years old. He seems to be able to prevent his sleepwalking by avoiding video monitors (gaming, videos, movies, etc.) for at least an hour before sleeping, and by exercising vigorously each day. I gather from your site that sleepwalking may be eligible for a waiver. Can you offer any guidance on whether he might be able to obtain a waiver, and if so, under what circumstances?

Tim,

NavyDoc is the best person to ask this question, I apologize for the inconvenience, but if you could copy and paste your question to this medical page, he should be able to help. He stopped answering on this specific page a while back to focus on the two main medical waiver pages.

38. Tim says:

Many thanks NCCM(Ret)!

39. Anita [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

I have a question. My son is a pre-dental college student. He volunteers at a low income dental clinic. The university where he volunteers did a Quantiferon Gold blood test, routine screening with HEb B. It was positive for TB exposure.

Chest xray negative. Subsequent skin test- PPD, negative.

He intends on starting dental school in exactly two years, and has been working wiht a naval recruiter in the hopes of obtaining a navy scholarship to pay for dental school. He is a top candidate per the recruiter and per the school. He needs to apply for both by May of this year, in order to start about 2 years from today..

We aren’t quite sure what to do, and have asked our PCP to run this by an infectious disease Dr. First, we know it is possible to have a false positive blood test. This is probably given there was no reaction on a subsequnet skin test.

We also understand that once positive, you are always considered positive. So, perhaps he should just start treatment, instead of trying to prove it’s a false positive. We’re not quite sure.

Here’s the quesiton: If he starts treatment now, assuming it’s latent tb, would this delay everything now by the length of the treatment? Is it possible to get a waiver on that 2 year timeframe?

Thank you.

Anita

Anita,

His recruiter could send his medical records to MEPS for a prescreening evaluation to verify his condition, but a positive PPD without symptoms is latent TB. If he cannot prove that he had a CDC-approved course of treatment, he will be PDQ. Once treatment is successfully completed, he would no longer be disqualified. He would not be able to process until the treatment is complete.

The guiding instruction (DoDI 6130.03) states: “History of latent tuberculosis infection, as defined by current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, unless documentation of completion of appropriate treatment [is disqualifying].”

41. Darby says:

Good morning,

Are the markers/clips left after a breast biospy disqualifing?

Darby

42. Aaron says:

OK I have a question, Sense at least 1995 I have been told that I have ADHD. My concern is I do not have nor can I locate any documents that state that I have been diagnosed ADHD. I have been been told by multiple recruiters to mark that I do not have it as I cannot provide documentation. However I was told by a navy chief to document it since it’s self reported. I do not want to cause a issue where I could potentially get fined or worse. I had a situation last week where I submitted a to 07 cama and it was found that I’ve already submitted a form last year that reported I had ADHT. And it immediately disqualified me. I spent 10 minutes trying to get waived on the phone. And they were able to wave it. But during those 10 minutes I was told that I should put everything down on the form but what should I put down should I put down what I have been diagnosed what I have been told? And if this is self reported, does this should I still declare it or should I just marked no on the 2074

Aaron,

Listen to what the Navy Chief told you.

44. Darby says:

Sorry NCCM, I just realized this morning that I posted my question in the wrong forum. Feel free to delete my post from 8-19-18.
    Have a great day!
    -Darby

45. Jonathan says:

Hey I have a pin in each hip from a surgery in 2012 for Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. (SCFE) I was 12 years old when I had the surgery. Can I get a waiver?

Jonathan,

A waiver is possible; however, based on those who a waiver submitted and followed up on this website, the chances of approval do not appear great.

47. Phillip says:

Good afternoon

I broke my ankle in middle school and i still have a pin in it (retained hardware). I have absolutely zero limitations and have played soccer at the club and high school level and a year of volleyball. I have never had any residual pain or swelling and no limitations in the range of motion. My recruiter is telling me that there is zero chance of me getting a waiver. Of course i am devastated but i refuse to give up. If i can get recommendations from my surgeon as well as my orthopedist, can that help me “push” the recruiter to help get me thru? I really don’t want to give up on this. Especially after seeing that this is condition of thing is listed under Conditions normally waiver-able.

Phillip,

Retained hardware in the ankle is PDQ. A waiver is on a case by case basis, depending largely on whether or not the doctor at MEPS can feel your hardware.

49. Phillip says:

Thank you for that. How can i go about getting my recruiter to at least get me to that point in the process? Right now, I feel like he just threw me away telling me there is zero chance for me to get a waiver. I am in the process of getting letter from my surgeon and ortho. I get that the recruiter is the first line in this and no disrespect but i’d like for someone higher up int he food chain to tell me i’m done. This injury happened 9 years ago. I’ve been hearing “you have a lazy recruiter”.

50. Rebecca says:

My son has Neurofibromatosis 1 also know as NF1 Von Recklinghausen’s disease Von Recklinghausen’s or neurofibromatosis
    He wants to join the military but we are unsure if his NF will keep him from being allowed any advice is helpful

Rebecca,

According to a response NavyDoc provided in the past, no branch of service will consider a waiver for NF1.

52. Garrett says:

Hello, I had childhood asthma was required by the school to have a inhaler there I never took it I currently play college sports. I was diagnosed the ADHD never took medicine but I did have a IEP. I also went to counseling for a bad relationship where she self harmed when I left age (16). And I have a penicillin allergy. I got rejected in 2017 Iam now 18 are my chances slim?

Garrett,

Yes, the ADHD with IEP would disqualify you (it doesn’t matter if you took the medications — only that you were diagnosed and prescribed them), and a waiver unlikely.

54. Steph says:

Hi!!!

Great forum!I have a question, I am a 29 year old female. I recently took the asvab about 4 weeks ago and passed, everything was great, i filled out the information on my own in the Nasis website. I gave all of my biographic information to the recruiter i am working with. Everything seems to be okay from that part. The issue is that about a year ago I had a breast reduction, not because i needed, i lost a lot of weight and wanted my body to fit better. I did this reduction with a doctor overseas, I got all of the paperwork, it’s not a huge pile of it, because of course this was a cosmetic surgery not a necessity. I have all of the medical exams i got for it and all of the medical assessments made by the cardiologist and the surgeon. I provided all of that to the recruiter. I have NEVER had a medical issue in my entire life. This was literally my first surgery or even stay in a hospital overnight. My issue is, I am reading the forum, and MEPS is suppose to disqualify you, before you can get a medical waiver? Did my recruiter applied for a waiver before my going to MEPS? Can that happen? Is my “Medical Condition” what’s holding me up from going to MEPS? Is my surgery waiverable or not?

I also like to put out that I am a very active person. I weight lift, cardio train 6 days a week. Heavy weights at that.

My recruiter does really communicate with me, so I honestly don’t know whats going on. Should I change my recruiter?

Can you provide me with some clarity of what is going on?

Thanks,

Steph,

Steph,

Breast reduction surgery, after a six month minimum waiting period post surgery, is not disqualifying; however, depending on how many pages of medical records you have, it may take quite some time to get a response. MEPS has up to 30 business days (not calendar days) to provide an answer depending on the number of pages submitted for review.

56. jacob B says:

I was diagnosed with a cough when I was eleven and given an inhaler, the doctor noting suggestive of asthma. The last time I refilled it was when I was 12 in 2012. Unfortunately When I went to the doctors for leg injuries on my records it passed on until I was 14 that I was continuing with the prescription. When I was 16 I was brought in for shin splints and as a side note the doctor noted
    “Also will have coughing when he runs. Patient denies this, but mother says she sees him coughing. Will sometimes give him his brother’s Albuterol inhaler. Usually he refuses to use it, denies any problems with coughing, breathing or asthma. Denies allergy symptoms.” In all my records it reads “lungs/pulmonary normal, no distress”

Along with all of my records I took a pulmonary function test with overall normal results and sent in a doctor’s note stating “Results from a current pulmonary function test came out as normal. He does not nor ever has had a history of asthma.” I sent in record proof of never having a refill since I was 12 I also have ran varsity cross country/track for 4 years and my mother’s comment was the only problem. Will I be disqualified for this? Would I need a waiver for it? I am trying to join the Marine Corps Thank you for your advice and input.

57. Vsn4113. says:

In 2013 I was disqualified for my medical history. But I don’t believe this to be right (I was denied over something a previous physician of mine said that was Taken out of context), after my waiver was denied i was told I was out of luck with the navy. Am I able to try another branch? Thanks

Vsn4113,

Yes, all the branches have their own medical waiver authority, so you can absolutely try another branch of service.

59. Noel K. says:

Hello Doc,
    I was disqualified with USMC last year. I had PRK pre-op refraction adding up to 9.75 on one eye. Adding up to this my comment to my optometrist about my eyes feeling dry, my waiver was disapproved. Since then I processed with Army and signed the contract as a reservist. The MOS is not exactly what I wanted (Army reserves only has support MOS), and I keep thinking about what could’ve happened if I appealed with more check ups. Dry eye is due to excessive surfing, and something I shouldn’t have fret about to my optometrist. Anyhow, I know a transfer from Army reserve to USMC reserve is possible via DD-368. My question is:

1. After couple years of service, if I process with Marines again, will the past history of DQ get in the way? My understanding is an applicant’s packet (i.e. USMIRS) ends up with whichever branch he/she signs with, and DQ history in the packet will not be considered for a new reenlistment, especially after 2 years.

2. I will still need eye waiver. Needs of the Corps may have changed by then and the same waiver (with more recent follow up) could have a chance. However, will BUMED still have my medical record, and denial history, and will this act against me?

Nothing will be certain until then, but knowing my possible options down the road would help me plan out my careers better.

Regards,

60. Cris says:

Hey Doc,
    I see you have published some stuff about scaphoid fractures, so I’m sorry if this is a repeat but I fractured my scaphoid a few weeks ago but will not need anything more than a cast for a few weeks. I am seeking admission to the naval academy is it possible that if I wait till my cast is removed and bring documentation showing I am cleared to my physical, I will not be DQ’d? Thank you for your time this site has been super informational for me :)

61. Jessica says:

I was diagnosed by the family doctor with ADHD in 1994 along with 3 of my siblings and medicated until 1997. I requested to restart medication in 2009 when returning to college and was discontinued in 2013. I subsequently earned 2 Associates with honors without the medication. They also have letters of recommendation from my employer. My recruiter told me MEPS is requesting a letter from a doctor but does not specify what exactly they are looking for. I submitted one from an MD and it was insufficient. I have copies of my medical record from MEPS and, as far as I can tell, they have me medically PDQ’d due to “a history of ADHD with comorbidity.” I was not aware of the comorbidity, but it doesn’t matter because it’s there. I haven’t been on any medication since 2013. Is my recruiter asking for another letter actually something that will be considered? I saw you mentioned that the Navy will entertain a waiver to that mandatory disqualification only if no medication in the last year, and no educational/occupational impairment. I meet both of those. If am able submit another letter, what should it contain? At this point I am waiting to see a psychologist to get an official ADHD assessment as that was something that was never done.

62. Zach says:

What’s going on doc, will a high school iep for ADHD stop me from joining the military even though I have been off the meds for a decade

63. Zach says:

If so can I get a wavier

64. Nicole says:

Can I be disqualified from joining military with HPV virus?

Nicole,

You can be, yes. You need to have your medical records reviewed; make sure they include pap results.

66. Nicole says:

Even with no treatable symptoms?

67. Nicole says:

Can I ask if there is a situation where it wouldn’t be disqualifying? I’ve been totally blindsided by this 3 weeks away from ship out. Just want to know what I’m up against.

Nicole,

Each time NavyDoc answered the question, he never did delve into specifics; only that the pap results needed to be reviewed. The instruction states, “Abnormal gynecologic cytology within the preceding 3 years [is disqualifying], including but not limited to unspecified abnormalities of the Papanicolaou smear of the cervix, excluding atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance without human papillomavirus and confirmed low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. For the purposes of this issuance, confirmation is by colposcopy or repeat cytology.”

Nicole,

Not being a doctor, I don’t know what most of that means, but i recommend getting your documents to MEPS ASAP so you can find out what needs to happen next. I really hope everything works out.

70. Camryn C. says:

How would USMC MEPS approach me, a 17 year old (I plan on enlisting after I turn 18 and graduate) female who has been medically diagnosed with ADHD in 2009 at the age of 8 years old? I have been prescribed medication, Ritalin (taken in elementary school, but discontinued use before beginning of 5th grade) and Vyvanse, and I have been taking Vyvanse since day one (not literally, but since my diagnosis at age 8 I have been taking it) daily (minus the days I had forgotten to take it), and I am still taking it to this day. I have many, many, many Vanderbilt forms filed by my past teachers and by my parent/guardians that could be used for academic ability/behavior evaluation. I have struggled with my weight issues ever since I was a toddler, and only within the last 5 years have I actually taken initiative to drop the weight. I have yo-yo’d with my weight so much, and I’ve taken an interest in the Marine Corps as a way of maintaining the discipline it takes to sustain a healthy and thriving lifestyle suitable for me. I’ve beaten myself up way too much to be disqualified because of my medicated ADHD, and I can only start to believe that it is the determining factor for passing the medical evaluation at MEPS. It would absolutely break my heart beyond belief if it were to come to those terms…
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, as I feel like if I don’t act now, I’ll only be booted out and my dreams will be crushed.

71. Kandis says:

I don’t see acute pancreatitis.. can that be waived? And with a hernia what if it was not operated on and it’s small? I’m asking for a friend. I already did my 4 years and got out.

Kandis,

The hernia would have to be repaired; the medical treatment records for the pancreatitis would need to be reviewed.

73. Marc [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

How long will it take for my asthma bumed waiver to get approved for marines? If no signs at all of asthma checked by a doctor.

Marc,

The Marine Corp is the only service that uses BUMED for enlistment medical waivers. Those waivers take about 4-6 months.

©Navy CyberSpace. All Rights Reserved.