Medical Conditions Normally Not Waiverable

Medical Issues Not Normally Waivered

Updated: October 15, 2017

Many people who are considering the United States Navy as an option wonder if there may be some mental or physical condition from their past which may preclude them from serving. This post is the first of a two part series which will talk about medical conditions and possibly answer your “would I make it with” questions. Today I will list the medical issues/conditions which will not be considered for a waiver.

For those issues with time conditions they are listed as such – like a severe head injury has a five year waiting period, the waiting period is in place to reduce the possibility there were no long term effects from the injury. Conditions that become aggravated while serving on active duty could in the long run be considered “service connected” which in turn could lead to future disability benefits. By restricting some known medical issues, such as the ones listed below, will ultimately save the taxpayer’s money.

Before posting a question, please take the time to read through the comments because you may already had your specific question answered via someone else’s question.

Generally the Navy will not waive the following conditions (conditions listed in COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8J);

• Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), AIDS Related Complex (ARC), HIV Antibody, or history of any of the above.
  • Single kidney – regardless of cause.
  • Loss of an arm or leg.
  • Seizure disorder with seizure and/or medication within five years.
  • History of Cancer with treatment within five years (except basal cell carcinoma).
  • Diabetes Mellitus Type I or Type II.
  • Loss of one eye.
  • History of Cataract surgery.
  • History of any Keratoconus (protrusion of the cornea).
  • History of Glaucoma.
  • History of Aphakia (lens replacement of the eye).
  • Severe Allergic reaction (Anaphylaxis) to insects or food.
  • Cirrhosis.
  • Corneal transplant history.
  • Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis (Intestinal ulcers).
  • Severe deformities of the mouth, throat, or nose that interfere with speech or mastication of ordinary food.
  • Severe Scoliosis (spine curvature greater than 30 degrees) or Kyphosis and Lordosis (greater than 50 degrees) when measured by the Cobb Method.
  • History of eating disorders: Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia.
  • Headaches, recurrent, severe, which require prescription medication or interfere with daily activity.
  • Hepatitis, chronic: Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C carrier.
  • Malignant Hyperthermia/Hyperpyrexia (adverse reaction to anesthesia).
  • Multiple Sclerosis (nerve disease involving muscle weakness and uncoordination) and Muscular Dystrophy (progressive atrophy/wasting of the muscles).
  • Severe orthopedic injuries that result in functional limitations secondary to residual muscle weakness, paralysis, or marked decreased range of motion.
  • Otitis Media (middle ear infection/inflammation), chronic or currently active.
  • Pes Cavus (abnormally high arches of the feet with increased extension of the toes), severe, symptomatic (other than routine orthotic use).
  • Pneumonectomy, removal of entire lung.
  • Pregnancy (except for prior service processing for affiliation).
  • Prosthetic replacement of joints.
  • Psychiatric Conditions: Schizophrenia; Major Depression, recurrent; Bipolar Disorder; Panic disorders; Sexual disorders; and Personality disorders, severe.
  • History of Retinal disease or detachment.
  • Chronic skin disorders. Atopic dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis.
  • Spinal Fusion, greater than two vertebral spaces, congenital or surgical involving any number of vertebrae, by any method.
  • Current drug and/or alcohol abuse or diagnosed substance dependence.
  • History of Neurofibromatosis.
  • Congenital (birth) heart defects that have not been repaired.
  • History of intestinal bypass or stomach stapling.
  • Severe head injury within the past five years.
  • Anabolic Steroid Use within the previous two months is not enlistment eligible.

If you have hypothyroidism that is controlled by medication, and you have two normal thyroid stimulating hormone tests within the preceding 6 months, you do not require a waiver for the condition because it is NOT disqualifying. You will be able to continue your medication for the condition during boot-camp.

A note to everyone: NavyDoc is a Chief Medical Officer for a major Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS), and only takes into account the information you provide, so please be as thorough as you can with the history and description of your issue.

6,825 Responses to “Medical Issues Not Normally Waivered”

1. navydoc says:

jon,
    Self-harm is reviewed for waiver on a case by case basis. Submit a current psychiatric evaluation addressing your current function and any diagnosis to MEPS along with your medical prescreen paperwork.

2. Jessica says:

My son is still waiting on MEPS to send back a yes or no for my son to join the Marines. I know the Marines is a sub-division of the navy. He is getting frustrated with calling his recruiter and being told there’s no word yet and it’s now been 2 months since the final request for paperwork was sent. he is now considering changing to Navy instead since the Marines have not been successful. If he moves over to the Navy, would it take as long since they follow the same regulations? He has been trying to join for over a year now.

3. Eman [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hey Navydoc,

I was wondering how long should it take to hear back from MEPS? I started enlistment process last October of 2016 and handed over my medical papers to be submitted to my recruiter (211 pages) I had a jaw surgery in December of 2015. Every time I contact my recruiter I get the same response “waiting on MEPS” I’ve recently (July 2017) switched recruiters because others were saying that my recruiter might not be working to his full potential. I switched explained the situation to my new recruiter and now he’s hit a dead spot waiting on a MEPS to MEPS transfer and can’t get the transfer because there’s a “violation” I’m completely lost and don’t know who to contact or ask for help because when I asked my new recruiter about what to do he said ” I don’t know I’ve never encountered this”

4. Jason [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Hello, I am 21 and I recently had an abscess drained at a dermatology clinic. It was behind my right ear (by the crease of my ear but still on the lobe).

I had an abscess once before on the left ear when I was 12 but it came to a head pretty fast and drained by itself before my parents brought me to the doctors.

I was wondering if having an abscess drained recently would DQ me from enlisting in the Navy (or any other branch)? What might they say at MEPS? My dad served 20 years in the Navy and I would like to serve at least 6!

5. navydoc says:

Jessica,
    If the waiver request is at BUMED, there is no limit to how long they can take. If it is at MEPS, your recruiter should receive an update within 5 working days of when it hits the doctor’s desk. That doesn’t mean that it’s not sitting in someone’s drawer at either the recruiting office or MEPS liaison office, as only medical has a 5 day turn around deadline.

Waivers from N3M, which is the Navy waiver authority, are generally done within a month.

If you tell me what your son’s DQ condition is, I might be able to give you a more specific answer, as there are some issues the Marines will never waiver.

6. navydoc says:

Eman,
    See the answer above.

7. navydoc says:

Jason,
    You will need to submit the records from the dermatologist.

8. Jessica says:

Hello, his dq was for reflux. He had it as a baby and had surgery when he was 10 months old. When his biological father would get visitation until he was 2 he was still symptomatic. After his father stopped visiting he no longer had vomit episodes. As a teenager in high school he took omniprezole unti his junior year but didn’t see a specialist it was for occasional complaints of heart burn, like most people it happened after over indulging in greasy food. They said since he was still symptomatic after his surgery he would need a waiver but still didn’t clear him to go to MEPS. They asked for all his records from his high school years which I provided. That was 2 months ago. My son continues to reach out to his recruiter who just says he hasn’t heard anything yet. My son is ready to join and is considering changing to a different branch such as the navy since nothing is happening on the Marines side.

9. Jessica says:

I should also clarify that he was not dependent on meds after his surgery. His visits to his gi specialist after surgery was for follow up and after vomit episodes with his father to ensure surgical site was still entact.

10. Al says:

Hey
    I was wondering if i can still join the navy because i’m missing some teeth and my 5 teeth in the front is partial denture. Is this a disqualification for joining?

11. Ben says:

I had surgery on my pinky finger of my left hand. I have some limited range of motion in the finger but not that limited. I can touch all fingers to my thumb, pick up a pin and make a fist. There is a small screw in my pinky I was wondering if this would require a waiver? Thank you

12. Tucker says:

Hello NavyDoc,

I had ulcerative colitis as a child and surgery to remove affected part of my colon. The surgery was in November of 2000, and I have had no issues since. I am a critical care nurse now and interested in joining the navy nurse corps. Any chance this is possible for me? I know it is a critical need. The list includes UC, but does not state active or history of. Unlike Crohns, UC is curable with surgery (as it has been in my case). Any info would be especially helpful. Thank you!

13. navydoc says:

Tucker,
    History of UC is not usually waived by any service.

14. navydoc says:

Ben,
    You will need to submit your orthopedic records, but you should be fine.

15. navydoc says:

Al,
    You must have at least 20 functional teeth (or dentures) and not need any immediate restoration work that needs to be done.

16. navydoc says:

Jessica,
    When someone needs a waiver, MEPS does not just let them come in. The waiver authority for the service needs to tell MEPS to bring that person in because the service is willing to give a waiver. If the waiver authority does not tell MEPS to do a physical, it is because they will not grant a waiver. Waivers are dependent on the needs of the service. The Marines don’t give many waivers because they fill their recruit quota with qualified applicants. The Army has not made recruiting quota the past 2 years, even with waivers for medical issues and criminal history, so they give a lot of waiver.

17. Sara says:

Can you send a link to the DoDI 6130.03 that the Navy uses to help approve/disapprove medical waivers? Thank you

Sara,

When considering a waiver, the Navy uses RTC and first enlistment discharge statistics and the Navy MANMED. The DoDI 6130.03 is used by MEPS as a guide to determine who is eligible and who is not — the ones that are not may have their disqualification waived if the waiver authority considers and approves it.

19. Jessica says:

What are the chances of getting in the Navy? Have they made quota?

20. navydoc says:

Jessica,
    The new fiscal year starts today. So no one has yet been signed for 2018.

21. navydoc says:

Sara,
    Just google DoDI 6130.03. However, as NCCM mentioned, the DoDI has nothing to do with waivers. It is the medical fitness standards for the entire DoD. Then each service makes waiver determinations on people who do not meet the minimum standards in the DoDI. Each service has what it will and will not waive, based on need for bodies to fill billets, and how well people with that disqualifying condition have done in the past on active duty (i.e., are they hard to treat, need specialty care, frequently need follow up, often undeployable, etc)

22. Sara says:

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately there are multiple versions of the 6130.03. The one on navy.mil qualifies me and the others don’t.

23. Patricia says:

My son was born with a VSD he had surgery to repair his heart when he was 2 year’s old. Will he be able to enlist?

24. Navydoc says:

Sara,
    What is your DQ condition?

25. navydoc says:

Patricia,
    Congenital heart defects have been discussed ad naseum on this board. ALL heart/chest surgeries are PDQ; waivers will be considered with submission of current (no more than 90 days old) echocardiogram and evaluation by your private cardiologist.

26. Navydoc says:

Maddie,
    Submit a current cardiology exam including EKG and echo (within past 90 days) along with your DD 2807-2 to your recruiter to give to MEPS. You cannot bring records to MEPS; they must go through your recruiter.

27. Shay says:

I have a rash on my calf muscle and it is dark I am not sure what it is but will that get me PDQ and I also have a waiver

28. navydoc says:

Shay,
    You cannot have a waiver if you have not yet gone through MEPS. Without seeing the rash, I cannot tell you whether or not it is DQ. If you are supposed to ship out, and have a rash, you cannot go until it is treated and resolved. I would advise you to see a dermatologist and get a definitive diagnosis.

29. Mitzie says:

My son went to boot and was medically discharged. He has talk to many recruiters and had to get his medical Records for reenlisting. They received his records and turned the paper work of clearance that he does not have chrohns disease. Every time he calls no answer or they tell him it was sent to medical Dr. And they have no answers. So was these papers sent or they sitting in someone’s drawer. It has been at least 7 months. His heart is into being in the !Marines, but the army wants him to sign papers, after reviewing his records. I don’t want him to regret this decision and enlisting in the army. I would like a phone number to speak to someone to find out what is going on with this process if all possible. Everyone he speaks to is saying haven’t heard anything. If you could lead us into the right direction it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.

30. B. W says:

Navydoc,
    Im interested in the Aviation side of the navy. I wanted to ask here first and get your opinion. I have mild pectus excavatum which has never been an issue and like I said it is mild so I’m not necessarily worried about it but I also have a rather large vericocele on the left side that is larger than the testicle. I have never had any pain or discomfort with it but I was curious to wether it was a waverable PDQ or if I need to have it treated before I go to the Meps, or if its a no go altogether. I look forward to your response!

31. M.S. says:

Navydoc,

I am interested in the Army’s 18x program once I graduate with my bachelors in a little over a year. The main thing I’m worried about is that I have been to the emergency room quite a few times.(1) I cut my finger pretty deep when I was about 2-3 years old and required stiches, parents rushed me to the ER. (2) Broke my arm near my elbow when I was about 5 and had surgery on it, not sure if there is any hardware. Possibly a pin was placed but if there was I think it has been removed. I have never had any complications or had to see a doctor since. (3) I went scuba diving in high school and when I surfaced, I had a nosebleed and my face felt a little numb. Felt fine after about 5 minutes on the surface but EMTs were still called and said I had to go to the ER because they said it was “neurological.” It was mainly just precautionary to go they said. ER docs said I just had a remnants of a slight sinus infection (from a cold I recently had most likely) and was released shortly after. Never mentioned neurological issues and that may have just been from infection. During an MRI of sinuses they discovered I had extremely mild scoliosis but I do not believe it was a diagnosis, definitely not with measurements. I have been checked by my physician multiple times afterwards and his tests always came up negative for scoliosis. (4) Fractured my fifth metatarsal skimboarding but did not even need a cast, just small boot that went up to my ankle. No issues since. Not sure if this was even an ER visit, possibly just clinic. (5) Passed out on a morning run at a military high school. Just made a mistake and went too hard without proper hydration or nutrition. I was trying to make a sports team. Made competition team eventually anyway and never had other issues. No head injury or concussion occurred and was released from ER a few hours later. This was the only time I have ever passed out.
    I apologize for the long list but look forward to hearing any information you may have. Nothing was ever a serious issue I believe, except maybe the arms surgery, and I have been in perfect health ever since all that. It’s just these ER visits. Thank you.

32. Austin says:

I’m 19 I was diagnosed with Von Willebrands Disease and was wondering if I could get waived to join the navy or any branch of service

Austin,

NavyDoc has answered this question before with;

I do not usually see waivers granted for any of the bleeding diatheses.

34. Nicole. says:

Hello! I want to enter the navy and sent an email requesting information and when they call me I said I have a plate and screw in my forearm since I was 10 years old, to repair a fracture but that is completely healed and that is not prevent me from any movement and the person on the phone from the navy said I was not qualified. Can I get a waiver for that, should I tried it again???

[also] I have had some syncope(fainting) episode like 3 years ago , i went to cardiologist and he said no heart problem just a typical episode that can happen. Should I mention that to the MEPS? Since you say they can look all my medical records? Or should I see it as any faint episode since there’s no heart problem and not tell them . If you think I should say it, how is the best way and is it possible a waiver?

[Combined two separate comments from the same person — NCCM]

35. navydoc says:

MS,
    Submit your medical records for review. If you do not have the records from your elbow surgery, get a current ortho consult, including x-rays, and give to your recruiter.

36. navydoc says:

BW,
    If your varicocele is large and your testicle is starting to atrophy, you need to get it repaired. Pectus excavatum is evaluated on a case by case basis.

37. navydoc says:

Mitzie,
    If he was medically discharged from Navy boot camp, it is unlikely the Marines will grant a waiver. He needs to be in touch with his recruiter, or, if he feels his recruiter is not being responsive, he can ask to talk to the recruiter in charge. Recruiters want to get people to sign contracts, so if they are not pushing his paperwork through, it usually means the answer is no.

38. Tom says:

Navydoc,

I have been pdq’d for tinea versicolor by meps after getting two consults (first by civilian doc then again by meps doc). My waiver was denied by the Army National Guard. My recruiter has sent it for appeal and we haven’t heard anything back.

Can you share more information about possible avenues to pursue in getting the appeal? I scored 87 on my asvab and am physically fit. My drawback is bad credit. No criminal or drug background.

Thanks

39. navydoc says:

Tom,
    Tinea versicolor is treatable. See a dermatologist for appropriate treatment and submit your records to your recruiter.

40. Christina says:

Doc,

I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy two years ago from an IUD that was implanted improperly. No issues including no menopausal issues since. Is this a PDQ?

41. Insurmountable says:

Good morning,

I know that the ARMY stipulates that Bilateral detachment of Retinas is a DQ. I read that you had not seen a waiver recommended or approved back in 2013.

Has that changed?

If a person were to chose to go non combat, medical or clerical, could a waiver still be issued or even possibly approved? I do want to join, and I am willing to go through over a year of medical record war and submitting paperwork as if trees are going out of style.

I want to serve, and realistically the rest of me is healthy and my score was high. However, I am female and I do not know if that matters at all for the probability of recurrance. Mine was caused by trauma in a work related injury.

My astigmatism falls within guidelines as does my myopathy.

I have read only of a single account were a single detached retina was waved. My eyes are stable and it has been 9 years since the surgery to correct the detachments.

Any information or even words of encouragement would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

42. Lorina says:

Hi Doc, My son has food sensitivties. Would he qualify for the navy?

43. navydoc says:

Christina,
    Hysterectomy/oophorectomy is not DQ. It is a little unusual to remove both ovaries in a pre-menopausal woman unless there was some issue with them. Submit your records for review.

44. navydoc says:

Insurmountable,
    The Navy will not waive any history of retinal detachment.

45. navydoc says:

Lorina,
    Your question is too vague.

46. Tracy says:

Hi Navy Doc, my son is thinking of joining next year. He has a few medical issues that Im not sure if they will prevent him from joining. He has oral allergies to fresh fruits, no food allergies Usually just tingling in the mouth. He takes over the counter allergy medicine. He also has an old knee condition that started after playing sports, went to the Dr and was told its olsgood schlatters. He hasnt had any pain or symptoms for over 5 years now. And he had a mole removed from his scalp. The mole was tested and diagnosis is melanocytic nevus. Is that a disqualifier? He doesnt have any other moles and it doesnt bother him. Thank you

47. M. says:

Navydoc,

I am a musician and recently auditioned for the Navy Fleet Bands and was accepted. After making it into the music program, I began the process of enlistment. I knew that I had some scoliosis though had never had any formal diagnosis or treatment because it has never caused me pain – I am in good physical condition and run and work out routinely without issue. My recruiter advised that I get a civilian doctor to x-ray my back and measure the Cobb angle. It came back as 33 degrees. I understand that above thirty is not normally waiverable, but my recruiter said that he had talked to someone at MEPS who told him that in rare instances 30-35 or so is. He submitted the pre-screening form and I was rejected for the scoliosis. I was very disappointed (I went to college for 8 years as a music student and joining one of the military bands, especially the Navy band, has been a major goal), however I recognize that the decision is likely unalterable and that I have no choice but to accept it. Nonetheless, I have a few questions which I would like answered and I hope that you may be able to help. I know scoliosis is a popular topic on this thread and I apologize if my questions have been addressed before.

1. Have you ever seen scoliosis in the 30-35 degree range waived, or do you think my recruiter was misinformed by his contact at MEPS?

2. If you have seen a few degrees above 30 waived, what factors may have led to those cases being waived?(what did they have going for them that I don’t?)

3. Would the fact that I auditioned and was accepted as an MU to fill an undermanned position have any bearing on the decision, or was that totally irrelevant? (My recruiter said that that was a circumstance which would be taken into account, and, while I don’t think he was outright lying to me, I question if he was actually certain of that)

4. What is the medical reasoning for setting the bar at 30 degrees? I understand that very severe cases of scoliosis can lead to problems with flexibility and core strength or even restricted breathing, but I do not suffer from any of these problems. While the scoliosis is easy to spot under a medical examination, it is not readily apparent in my normal posture – my shoulders rest at the same height, etc. My doctor has said that he doesn’t think the difference between 30 and 33 degrees is significant to my health. I imagine that it is probably matter of statistics.

5. I do not want to totally give up on my goal of playing in the military bands. Is there a chance that the Army or Air Force might waive the scoliosis even though I was rejected by the Navy? (I know that I would have to audition with their music programs, but that is a separate issue.)

Thank you for time.

48. Bry says:

Hello Navydoc,

In the process of applying to be a Marine JAG. I have had two separate incidents where I strained my neck and shoulder, once in 2012 and 2015. Both were a result of overtraining and excessive weightlifting. I experienced pain in my neck and shoulder, and some numbness and tingling down my arm. The x-ray and MRI I received showed no injuries. I was diagnosed with a cervical strain each time.

Both injuries were treated with rest, muscle relaxers and physical therapy. The injuries eventually resolved each time after I incorporated more stretching and stabilizing exercises, as well as a focus on perfecting my form. Each injury lasted a few months. I have had no symptoms since March 2016. Do I have anything to worry about?

49. Shneur says:

Is a minor disc bulge waiverable?

Not pressing on spinal cord or neural foramen, not pressing on anything. No sciatica , no numbness no nada. Just a very tiny disc bulge/protrusion.

I’m not talking about a herniated or ruptured disc because I know That’s not waiverable I get that.. but a very minor disc bulge.
    2 orthopedic evaluations from 2 different doctors both gave a physical exam and cleared me. On top of that it wasn’t a serious injury.

Can a tiny disc bulge be waiverable?

50. Christina says:

Navydoc,

She removed them upon my request. I was prone to cysts. Just benign cysts but they were painful. So we decided to take them both to save a step in the future.

51. Jonathan says:

Navydoc,

About 5 years ago I had a testicle surgically removed. The last checkup I had showed I was ok. Do you think this would be a disqualifier?

52. Ernie says:

So my son made a appt with the dermatologist he is currently in a school in Connecticut he’s had a form of rash since boot camp in chicago and when he made the appt the receptionist ask to see what he was being seen for and right away asked if it was psorasis my son has no idea what they will do from there he is in school for submarine

Jonathan,

This question has been asked numerous times. Having only a single testicle is disqualifying, no matter the reason. A waiver for having a single testicle is possible provided the remaining one is fully functional and the underlying cause for the absence of the other is not itself disqualifying (cancer, etc.).

54. Amber says:

I am a registered nurse interested in the health professions scholarship program and the opportunity to become a nurse practitioner. I have a vestibular schwannoma that I will have removed in the spring. It may or may not cause complete hearing loss on the operative side. I was told no waiver for complete hearing loss would be given. Also, an air force recruiter said that I would have to wait five years after a craniotomy to apply for service…is this accurate information and is it true for every branch? Thanks.

55. navydoc says:

Amber,
    There is no simple answer. Until your surgery is done and your recovery is complete, we are just guessing. Hearing loss greater than the minimum standards (no more than 35dB at 500, 1000, 2000 Hz, 45 dB at 3000 Hz and 55 dB at 4000 Hz)is never waived by any service. Craniotomy could possibly be waived if the waiver authority feels your issue has stabilized, but expect at least a 6-12 month waiting period before anyone would even be willing to look at your paperwork.

HPSP is extremely competitive. Those who need waivers are rarely selected.

56. navydoc says:

Ernie,
    I only deal with accessions medicine. Your son needs to see his unit’s medical department.

57. navydoc says:

Shneur,
    Your question has been asked and answered dozens of times.

58. navydoc says:

Bry,
    You need to submit your records. The highest risk factor for a back/neck injury is a previous back/neck injury, so record review is paramount in making a fitness determination.

59. navydoc says:

M,
    Waivers for scoliosis are rare, but not impossible. Bottom line is ALWAYS needs of the service.

Normal spines have less than 10 degrees of scoliotic deviation; 30 degrees was chosen by the military because there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and people with curves greater than 30 degrees have a large amount of imbalance in the spinal support system (one side has shortened muscles/ligaments, the other has elongated muscles/ligaments)

60. navydoc says:

Tracy,
    He will need to submit his records for review.

61. Destiny says:

I allegedly am allergic to sulfa drugs and had a heart mummer at birth that went away shortly after. This is according to my mother and is mentioned in all of my medical records up until I turned 18. However, after being sent on a wild goose chase by MEPS to find proof of this, there are zero records of either of the two because the records no longer exist. I was born at Naval Base Camp Pendleton and have waited to have them send me all the records the have (from my birth until now) and all they sent me back was the recent pre-commissioning screenings I had done by them. What am I supposed to do about this?

Destiny,

Military hospitals and clinics normally send your medical record to a central depository two years after your last visit. You can request copies of your records.

According to the Tricare website, the form you need to send in and the address you need to send it to:

Send a completed NA FORM 13042 to:

National Personnel Records Center
    Military Personnel Records
    1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis, MO 63138-1002

63. Nelms says:

I went to meps in June for the Marines. I passed everything except I went to get physical the next day and they DQ me for bunions. I didn’t know they were bunions till they told me. I got them measured and x rayed. I know for a fact my bunions aren’t over 15 degrees. I next went to a podiatrist who wrote me a letter saying I can join because I don’t need surgery. My feet don’t hurt they are inherited and so I
    lost hope.

Also I have to get a moral waiver for an embezzlement charge from 5 years ago it was a misdemeanor of 211.11, I was 18. Since then I have graduated 2 colleges and I haven’t been in trouble since, but they DQ me for the bunions not the charge.

I played basketball all my life even through college, ran track and I worked full time jobs. I workout on my own and run long distance before daily workouts. I don’t know what to do I feel discouraged about trying again but my family insisted I try the navy recruiter, so i am. I’m just a little discouraged because this will be my second recruiter and I waited almost 4 months for a no and I just don’t want to wait and start over just to get another no. I’m want to try again and I’m in that process right now. I just hope they don’t say no. It’s been my dream since I was a child.

How long do medical waivers take? How long do moral waivers take? What do you think I should score on the ASVAB to not worry about the waivers? Should I be worried they will say no?

64. terrie says:

Navydoc:
    in RE: optic nerve coloboma,
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    There are no pupil or eyelid issues. Vision acuity is within range acceptable for service with glasses. This diagnosis has never affected vision, balance or ability to work/play. Visual Field is within acceptable range and the rate assigned has no vision requirements. Without pupil/eyelid coloboma, can this be considered for waiver?
    Thank you again.

65. Yofrayray says:

This is dumb but… basically in 2013 I had a surgery in the web of my left hand because I had a splinter stuck inside. Later in the week I got it removed. NO STITCHES, no overnight stay, went home the same day in some white gauze. Am I good navy doc?

66. Sean says:

Howdy Doc,
    I have 11 years in the Army National Guard, 8 enlisted & 3 commissioned as a 2LT Chaplain Candidate. I left the Guard to do ministry internationally and am now back in the States. A foreign physician diagnosed me with narcolepsy and I have been on medication for about 2.5years. Looking back I have probably suffered from it since college and yet have managed to obtain a BS, MS, and MDIV as well as my previous NG service including a deployment to Iraq for OIF I. From what I have read, narcolepsy is a disqualifying condition. Since I am interested in coming into the Reserves as a Chaplain is there any possibility of a waiver? What can I do to help my cause?

67. artie says:

Hi Doc,

First of all, thanks for your service – both in the military and answering people’s questions here!

I was in an accident where something smashed into my shoulder. It resulted in an AC joint separation, with these results from an MRI:

IMPRESSION:
    1. Acromioclavicular joint separation. There is edema in the coracoclavicular ligaments without complete discontinuity. Correlation with Zanca view radiographs is recommended to grade the injury.
    2. Posterior and inferior labral tear with complex tearing inferiorly. There is then a shallow cleft continuing through the anterior inferior labrum which is favored to represent extension of tear. In the anterosuperior quadrant there is either tear of anterosuperior labrum or extension of tear through a normal foramen.
    3. Negative for rotator cuff tear.

I was advised by the orthopedic surgeon NOT to operate on it. Naturally, I followed a medical professional’s advice. It’s now about 10 months later, and I’ve since been selected as an officer for the USAF. This accident happened after I submitted my forms for the board, so I of course disclosed all of the above. At the moment, my shoulder is not painful and has full ROM, though it does make some noises every now and then – I got a signed note from the ortho stating this and submitted it to MEPS. My question is this: I expect this to be a PDQ, but do I need to get surgery to get it waived? Or is surgery only necessary on a case by case basis?

My worst case situation is waiting a long time to hear about a waiver getting denied, when I could have just spent that time recovering from surgery for a proper waiver.

68. Dan says:

I was diagnoses with hypermobility at meps, even though I’ve never been diagnosed with that.Never had any problems with any of my joints ever, so this confused me.I have a consult(orthopedic) scheduled for me by Meps and recruiter. So here’s the question: Should I not get my hopes up and be prepared to be crushed or do I have a chance of getting the waiver?

69. navydoc says:

artie,
    It is unlikely that you will receive a waiver for a labral tear that has not bee surgically repaired. However, as a surgeon, I never advise people to have surgery just for a military waiver, because the waiver may still be denied. Have surgery only if your surgeon feels it is the right medical treatment for you.

70. navydoc says:

Sean,
    Narcoloepsy is unlikely to be waived, even in a chaplain candidate.

71. navydoc says:

Yofrayyay,
    Having a splinter removed is not DQ.

72. navydoc says:

Nelms,
    ASVAB scores have nothing to do with medical waivers. Marines are loathe to waive orthopedic issues.

73. navydoc says:

Dan,
    I would imagine that MEPS is waiting for the results of your orthopedic consultation.

74. Colleen says:

Dr., my son had strep throat and either Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome or Rheumatic Fever 7 years ago at the age of 11. Echos and EKGs done for three years subsequent showed no heart damage at all. His records include a diagnosis of “Rheumatic Fever with no heart involvement.” I’ve found conflicting information online about whether this is waiverable. I’ve seen both “History of Rheumatic Fever” and “Rheumatic Fever within last 2 years” as DQ. Do you know if having rheumatic fever as a child DQs him from joining the Navy? His recruiter is advising him that since it wasn’t a cut-and-dried diagnosis he can just answer “no.” However, there is the question about other hospitalizations, and he was hospitalized during that time. Thanks for your time.

75. Navydoc says:

Colleen,
    History of rheumatic fever is PDQ. Waiver will depend on review of his medical records. If he has no sequela, I think waiver would be considered.

His recruiter should not be telling him to omit his medical history. I would tell my son to find an honest recruiter.