Updated: October 12, 2016
R 121706Z OCT 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/OCT//
SUBJ/ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY UPDATE//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/091453ZOCT15//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 237/15, ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY UPDATE TO BONUS MULTIPLES. REF B IS A CNO MEMORANDUM, ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY POLICY MEMORANDUM. REF C IS A CNO MEMORANDUM, ENLISTED SUPERVISOR RETENTION PAY POLICY MEMORANDUM. REF D IS TITLE 37 U.S. CODE, PAY AND ALLOWANCES OF THE UNIFORMED SERVICES.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN supersedes reference (a) and announces that reference (b) is superseded by reference (c).
2. Enlisted Supervisor Retention Pay (ESRP) provides a retention incentive to senior Navy nuclear-trained enlisted personnel with highly specialized skills. The legal authority for ESRP shifted from Section 355 of reference (d) to section 331 of reference (d) effective 4 July 2016. The following programmatic changes apply and are reflected in reference (c):
a. The minimum reenlistment length is 3 years instead of 2 years previously.
b. The maximum bonus amount for each year of obligated service is limited to $25,000. The implication of this limit is that the maximum ESRP bonus for a three year reenlistment is now $75,000.
c. All ESRP payments must be received prior to completion of 26 years of service. The implication of this limit is that any ESRP installment that would be due after 26 years of service will be paid in the final installment prior to completion of 26 years of service.
3. Award Multiples. No changes to ESRP bonus multiples are promulgated in this NAVADMIN. The current multiples are listed below.
a. ESRP Zones 1 multiples:
b. ESRP Zone 2 multiples:
c. ESRP Zone 3 multiples:
|Rating||PNEC||0-24 mos||25-36 mos||37+ mos|
4. Eligibility. Only Sailors assigned an active supervisory nuclear Navy enlisted classification (NEC) listed in paragraph 3 are eligible to reenlist for ESRP. ESRP requests for personnel being processed for NEC removal or restoration will be held in abeyance pending final resolution. Overall ESRP eligibility requirements are defined in reference (c). In addition, to encourage career progression and provide incentive for continued superior at-sea service, the following supplementary eligibility requirements remain in place for each ESRP zone:
a. ESRP Zone 1. In addition to the requirements of reference(c), be assigned an active nuclear supervisory NEC (see paragraph 3).
b. ESRP Zone 2. In addition to the requirements of reference(c), be a frocked chief petty officer or in the pay grade of E-7, E- 8, or E-9 on the date of the ESRP Zone 2 reenlistment.
c. ESRP Zone 3. In addition to the requirements of reference (c):
(1) Be a frocked E-8 or in the pay grade of E-8 or E-9 on the date of the ESRP Zone 3 reenlistment; or
(2) Have successfully previously served as, be currently serving as, or have accepted orders as a submarine engineering department master chief, nuclear aircraft carrier (CVN) leading chief petty officer, or CVN reactor department master chief.
5. Application Process. ESRP reenlistment requests will be submitted 35-120 days in advance of the member’s desired reenlistment date to ensure the approval message is released in a timely manner. Exceptions to this policy will be approved by the ESRP program manager on an individual basis.
a. Officer Personnel Information System (OPINS) Force Management System is programmed to process ESRP reenlistment requests and employs the same process used to request and approve selective reenlistment bonus reenlistment requests. Career counselors and personnel support detachments are familiar with this program and should use it as the primary method of ESRP request submission. The ESRP request type is 3AA for Sailors on active duty and 3BB for broken service requests.
b. In the event OPINS is not available, the command can e-mail (scanned copy of request), or mail the request directly to the ESRP program manager utilizing the format found in reference (c). If operational commitments limit the ability to submit ESRP applications via this manner, commands should submit the ESRP request via message to the immediate superior in charge, who can submit the OPINS request. ESRP requests sent directly to the ESRP program manager by message or mail may result in a processing delay.
c. E-6 and below Zone 1 Sailors not already obligated beyond 14 years of service will require an approved Career Waypoints (C-WAY) reenlistment quota. C-WAY submission and quota approval can be pursued in parallel with the OPINS request for ESRP.
d. A Sailor must be pre-approved for an ESRP reenlistment. ESRP approval will not currently notify the Defense Joint Military Pay System (DJMS) of the Sailor’s intent to reenlist. Until DJMS can be programmed to accept ESRP reenlistment payments, manual processing is required. Payments should post to the Sailor’s account within 14 days following the day the ESRP program manager receives notification of reenlistment. Initial payment will be authorized as soon as the contract execution is reflected in the enlisted master file (EMF). In order to ensure prompt payment, new contracts must be posted to the EMF in a timely manner.
e. Personnel support detachments and commands should contact Nuclear Propulsion Programs (N133D) vice Defense Finance and Accounting System to resolve any payment issues.
f. A Sailor with an approved pre-certification, who does not reenlist on the date specified in the pre-certification message, must resubmit a request to revise the reenlistment date and ESRP award amount.
6. Recoupment. Receipt of any ESRP bonus is contingent upon the fulfillment of the specific conditions of eligibility, service, and assignment of the ESRP program. A Sailor who fails to fulfill these specified conditions during the period of service agreed upon shall repay the U.S. Navy any unearned portion of the bonus. Situations requiring repayment are provided in reference (c).
7. Service Record Entry. An Administrative Remarks, (NAVPERS 1070/613), entry acknowledging recoupment policy via Navy Standard Integrated Personnel System is required to be entered into the Service Members record prior to execution of an ESRP reenlistment; examples are provided in reference (c).
8. ESRP-eligible Sailors and their command career counselors should review reference (c), which provides further program details. Reference (c) can be found on the nuclear enlisted community manager website.
9. Point of contact is N133D, at (703)604-5502/5491/5492/5493/DSN 664 or via e-mail at nxag_n133d3(at)navy.mil or bullnuke(at)navy.mil.
10. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//