Navy Cyberspace Surface Ship Website Header

Navy Reserve Canvasser Recruiter (CANREC) program

Navy CANREC Program

Updated: September 1, 2016

Are you an honorably discharged Navy Veteran currently serving in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) or a member of a Navy Reserve unit as a Selected Reserve (SELRES), and you are looking for options to get back in uniform full time? Or, are you getting close to getting out of the Navy, but would love the opportunity to continue to remain in uniform and work near your home town? If so, then the CANREC program may be just what you are looking for.

The Navy Reserve Canvasser Recruiter (CANREC) program is designed primarily as a temporary recall program for production recruiters to execute the Navy Reserve recruiting mission. The program is open for enlisted (E-4 through E-6) and officers (O-1 through O-3).

Eligible CANREC personnel who excel in their assignment may make application to the Full Time Support (FTS) program through the Navy Reserve Career Recruiting Force program.

Who can apply? From BUPERSINST 1001.40B;

  • a. Eligibility: Personnel applying for voluntary recall in the CANREC program must meet the below-listed criteria. Once approved for CANREC, there is no guarantee of future conversion to the FTS program.
    • (1) Applicant must have a valid driver’s license.
    • (2) Applicants must reside within 50 miles of their assigned billet.
    • (3) Applicant must be under contract within the following programs:
      • b. Selected Reserve (SELRES). Applicants must obtain Unit CO endorsement and meet all program requirements.
      • c. Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). Applicants must obtain favorable recommendation from the commanding officer (CO) of the nearest Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) and meet all
        program requirements.
      • d. Active personnel. Applicants are eligible to apply within 90 days prior to their End of Active Obligated Service (EAOS). All program requirements must be met prior to execution of orders. If approved, applicant will be issued orders for CANREC duty commencing not sooner than 31 days following EAOS. This 31 day break in service is required. Member must submit application via the Navy Recruiting District (NRD) responsible for the assigned billet.

Note: The requirement to reside within 50 miles from assigned billet is not necessary at the time of application; however, member must reside within 50 miles of assigned billet prior to executing orders.

Other restrictions such as High Year Tenure, police involvement, and being able to pass a physical among others exist – please see other requirements and the full instruction for more detail and specifics.

To start the application process, contact the Navy Recruiting District or Navy Operational Support Center closest to where you wish to be stationed.

Note: Be advised that each NRD has limited openings.

15 Responses to “Navy CANREC Program”

  1. Luis says:

    Good afternoon I’m prior service Navy active currently in the National Guard can I sign up for this program or would I have to switch to Navy Reserve than apply thank you.

  2. NCCM(Ret) says:


    Contact the local NRD, it may be possible to move forward with an approved DD form 368 (a conditional release from the National Guard) if you meet all the other requirements and the NRD you are applying to has an opening.

  3. Luis says:

    Thank you Master Chief will do my homework and contact NRD . Have a great day.

  4. HM1 [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

    Can members who are currently FTS roll into this program? I’ve been told, no. I walk into a recruiting station and 3 staff members/recruiters are FTS. Thanks

  5. NCCM(Ret) says:


    The answer is no. The FTS you encountered are members of the Career Recruiting Force (CRF); they are not CANREC. They may have very well started as CANREC and then applied to CRF, but they did not enter CANREC as an FTS.

  6. OS2 says:

    Currently in NYC. Got out of the service two months ago. Will I be able to get into this program if I was honorably discharged? How long does the process take?

    Best regards,


  7. NCCM(Ret) says:


    The process doesn’t take long at all as long as NRD NY has a CANREC opening. You will need the nearest Reserve center’s endorsement, too, so I recommend contacting them and the NRD to see if an opening exists there.

  8. Derek says:

    I’m currently applying for CANREC, but my NOSC said that I wasn’t able to because I’m under PRISE-R since I have to take the E-5 exam for getting that rate, but the recruiter said that I didn’t have to, I just had to drill one time with the NOSC which I have already done. Is it true that I can still apply for CANREC under the PRISE-R for prior service?

  9. NCCM(Ret) says:


    As a drilling Reservist, you must have your CO’s endorsement.

  10. Jay says:

    When going from RC to CANREC do you get an initial clothing allowance in the beginning? Then the year after goes to a replacement clothing allowance?


  11. NCCM(Ret) says:


    It is my understanding that the Reserve clothing allowance is handled differently; I do not know those differences. I highly recommend that you pose the question to your Reserve unit. I just don’t know the answer.

  12. NC1 Dora says:

    Jay —

    The clothing allowance will be given to you annually on the month that you come active duty as a CANREC. That will be considered your anniversary date, and you will receive BOTH of your recruiting clothing allowances around that same time every year.

    NC1 Stephanie Dora, NRD Pittsburgh

  13. Derek says:

    I have been approved for CANREC and just waiting on orders, I was told it would be at the most 2 weeks before I got them and this Friday will be the second week and I was wondering how long does it take to get orders for CANREC since that’s the only thing I’m waiting on? Thank you



  14. QIANQIAN [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

    I am a selected active navy reserve. But I have a lot of friends asks me how to get into the process, I want to apply for being a recruiter, but right now I am already in a cargo unit at Alameda NOSC, I don’t know if I still can apply this job be my full-time. where should I send the application for? and where can I get all my medical records from. the medical department never gives it to me.

  15. NCCM(Ret) says:


    You would contact Navy Recruiting District San Francisco; if they have an opening and you are eligible, they will process you for the program.

Leave a Reply

Before asking a question, please read the article and comments -- your question may already be answered! Here is a site search to assist you:

A Navy recruiting blog that delves into the military enlistment process and benefits of service. This is NOT an official United States Navy or government web site. The opinions expressed are my own, and may not be in-line with any branches of the government or military.

©Navy Cyberspace. All Rights Reserved.

Unless otherwise noted, content written by Thomas Goering, NCCM USN(RET).

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy