Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest

Navy MAVNI 2017

Updated: January 27, 2017

It is once again possible for a select group of applicants who are in the United States legally with an unexpired visa to join the Navy! No Green Card!

Yes, the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) pilot program for the Navy has been revitalized. The Navy’s original interest in the pilot program was short lived – beginning in 2009 and only staying around a year or so before being grounded.

The new program is a five year active duty enlistment as a Hospital Corpsman (Language). The MAVNI applicant must be eligible for and ultimately become a United States citizen — no exceptions.

Navy MAVNI selectees will provide cultural and language support to the Special Operations Forces of the United States Navy.

Currently, to apply for the Navy’s MAVNI program, male or female applicants must meet all the basic eligibility requirements for enlistment into the Hospital Corpsman rating (with a couple exceptions) and be able to pass an Initial Fitness Assessment.

The MAVNI Program requires a Tier I or Tier II education credential. All applicants must attain a 50QT or higher on the ASVAB test – the test must be one that has been administered at one of the Military Entrance Processing Stations. If a 50QT is not attained, a score waiver may be possible for otherwise highly qualified applicants [1].

Residency

An applicant must have a valid and unexpired visa that has been issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and it cannot have an expiration date that is before the date of leaving for boot-camp. Only visas issued to those granted political asylum, refugees, aliens admitted to the United States under temporary protected status, or those in a non-immigrant category of E, F, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, TC, TD, TN, U, or V are acceptable.

The applicant, for a minimum of two years prior to joining the Navy, must have maintained an eligible visa status, and during that two year period, the applicant must not have a single stint outside the United States that is greater than 90 days.

If the applicant has five or more trips outside the U.S. during that two year period, then additional approval must be granted before processing can occur.

Financial screening

If an applicant’s monthly debt exceeds 35 percent of their expected monthly basic pay or is more than 60 days behind in payment for any debt account, the applicant is ineligible for this program.

The current Navy MAVNI need

The current cultural and language proficiencies in need are;
Currently, the U.S. Navy is not accepting MAVNI applications.

• Iraqi (Iraqi Arabic, Farsi)
  • Pakistani (Pashtu, Urdu, Punjabi, or any combination thereof)
  • Levantine Arab (with French if possible)
  • Indonesia (Bahasa)
  • Malaysia (Malay)
  • India (Hindi, Punjabi)
  • Thailand (Thai)
  • Nigeria (Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba)
  • Bulgaria (Bulgarian, Russian)
  • Maldives (Dhivehi)
  • Albania (Albanian)
  • Yemen (Arabic)
  • Cameroon (French)
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina (Croatian, Serbian)
  • Serbia (Serbian)
  • Greece (Turkish)
  • Tunisia, Libya (Arabic)

The qualifications and requirements that I have outlined are just the highlights — they are not all inclusive. If you meet minimums outlined, and you have interest in MAVNI, I highly recommend that you contact your local Navy recruiter ASAP!

MAVNI Pre-screening questionnaire [PDF].

[1] COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1133.13A, approved July 30, 2015.

711 Responses to “Navy MAVNI 2017”

Chengi,

If the lawsuit is concerning those who are already on active duty, then you may be right. But if you are talking about MAVNI applicants — those waiting to actually ship to boot-camp; then this lawsuit does not affect them at all. MAVNI applicants are not in the process to become Naturalized citizens. And, no, of course not — a Naturalized citizen has the same rights as those who are natural born; however, keep in mind, something you may not be aware of, even some natural born citizens are denied a security clearance because their immediate family members are not US citizens. Also, keep in mind that having a security clearance is not a “right”.

2. Chengi says:

NCCM,
    Yes the lawsuit is for soldiers who have already naturalized.
    The lawsuit is that soldiers who naturalized under MAVNI program does not have the same opportunities.
    The lawsuit is not that “we are not getting security clearance” but the lawsuit is “we are not even been considered”.
    And as it turns out, to deny an entire group of people security clearance is unlawful.
    Now, one can apply for clearance and then then on investigating they can deny the person security clearance. That is the policy.
    But the fact that you cannot even apply for security clearance just because you happen to naturalize under MAVNI program is literally saying that “you guys are second class citizens”.
    I totally understand that security clearance is not a “right” but that is a determination to be made by a suitable agency after an investigation. Unless offcourse, Peter Levine (a$$h()l# who made this policy) had some oracle power in which case I think he should still be working as he is pretty valuable.

The DoD is opening a pandora box with their argument that MAVNI has lived in US for a lot less time. One can be US citizen born abroad based on their parents. Lived abroad their entire life and can join US military. One can get green card thru marriage in 6 months and join the army. Citizens of Palau, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands may also join the US armed forces without any scruitinity.

DoD has already granted ETP to plaintiffs in hope that they will dismiss the case. They know they are wrong. But the plaintiffs are proceeding so that entire MAVNI’s can get a relief.

Chengi,

“to deny an entire group of people security clearance is unlawful.” << I don't know if that it a true statement. Again, natural born US citizens can be denied the process of a clearance altogether if their parents (or siblings) are not citizens and are from specific countries. To otherwise start the process for a clearance, they would require a waiver. Regardless, because the program does change at the whim of DoD, the Navy has decided not to use the program at all -- it is currently unlikely that the Navy will dip their feet in again. The first tried it in 2009 with mixed results, and then the current evolution; I would be surprised if they were to ever move forward again with MAVNI (unless SPECWAR pushes for it again). I wish I have a more positive outlook for MAVNI, but that is how I see it today.

4. Chengi says:

NCCM,
    It is unlawful to deny security clearance to an entire group of people. I think the point is subtle but important.
    Currently, if you are naturalized based on MAVNI route, you cannot get security clearance just because you gained you are a MAVNI.
    To make a point, allow me demonstrate a point.
    To draw some sort of analogy:
    “People living in Hawaai cannot get security clearance because they live in Hawaai”.
    Me: What? Why?
    DoD: because they live in hawaai..

This reasoning is unlawful. You cannot deny an entire group to
    Each security clearance is case by case basis.
    Now, no one is saying, everyone who is living in hawaai should get security clearance as you are right.. getting a security clearance is not a right..

But the process is pretty straightforward. The service requests for Security Clearance, then OPM conducts its investigation.. And then it is whatever it is. That is what happens with every other US citizen.
    But, for MAVNI’s that’s not the case.

And I echo your sentiment. This program should not be opened until all the mess is sorted out. This hurts everyone. The DoD, military and it actually impacts the applicants the most.
    I think army has a different experience than navy. On every evaluation they did, Army does says that soldiers enlisted via MAVNI (on an average..) perform better than their counterparts (earning titles from soldier of year, commissioning as officers, winning medals in olympics and just following orders). I say this with all humility with the intention to make a point that these soldiers are equally dedicated as regular soldiers and have embraced this great country.
    I hope in the end, all this is just a bump in road and things smoothen out.

Chengi,

I understand what you are saying, I am just telling you that your line of thinking is wrong. OPM only processes clearances that are forwarded to them for consideration. I clearance request will not be forwarded unless the minimums for the clearance are met. An example, a person may be joining the Navy, and while they are picking their job, the record may be flagged to contact the security manager for whatever reason — police involvement, medical history (psyc stuff), family member’s country of origin, etc. — the Job classifier must then gain permission to put that person into the job, meaning that they were otherwise ineligible for the clearance, and the security manager granted permission to otherwise move forward; if the security manager does not provide that permission, then the person cannot join into that job — OPM would not receive this person’s package for consideration.

Your expectations and understanding of the process is off by a few degrees.

I do hope everything works out.

6. Kiran says:

I met the requiter and showed my I-797. I’m on the TPS I entered in the US with K1 visa. He said I am not eligible. My question is,
    MAVNI program no longer for TPS holder?
    Thank you!

Kiran,

As it states in the article, “Currently, the U.S. Navy is not accepting MAVNI applications.”

8. Kk says:

Seems like army is moving forward with fs already completed basic training and advanced training. Hopefully they should open the program anytime soon.

9. Kk says:

NCCM(Ret)

Your concern about the security clearance is resolved within the military for enlistee, what’s your word on navy starting the program back again? I know they haven’t still started the enlisting process but wanted to know your take on the subject.

10. Juan says:

According to the recent article on Washington Post, CI will not be conducted on MAVNIs and thousands FS are subject to deportation.

Washington Post link redacted due to requiring subscription to view — title of article is “The Pentagon Promised Citizenship to Immigrants Who Served Now it Might Help Deport Them”

Juan,

You wrote, “thousands of FS are subject to deportation” — what is FS? If you are referring to Future Sailors? The Navy hasn’t even enlisted 50 MAVNI applicants — as a matter of fact, you may be able to count the total on both hands.

12. Samuel says:

Has anyone in this group been schedule for their CI interviews yet? my recruiter said they starting to do them slowly. Is that true?

13. Kk says:

Samuel,

As far as my knowledge they have cancelled all the CI interviews and they are planning to cancel the whole program. I am really sorry but I am in the same boat as you are. Hopefully something changes up in near future will be good for all of us.

Thanks

14. Samuel says:

Congresswoman spoke on our behalf, do you think will change anything after what happen at the town hall meeting?

Samuel,

I do not think it will change anything. No branch of service has an obligation under law to use the MAVNI program. They can freely choose to use it or not.

16. Ana says:

How old do I need to be so I can join MANVI?

Ana,

For the Navy, MAVNI is closed, but if it was open, the maximum age is 34; the minimum age with parental consent would be 17.

18. Samuel says:

When will there be an update regarding the mavni future soldiers awaiting basic training?

Samuel,

Quit using different email addresses and names.

The Navy has no plans to reopen MAVNI. For any information about the Army, you would have to ask them.

20. kun says:

is there mavni program for reserve ?

Kun,

No, there is not a MAVNI Reserve program.

22. Ritta says:

I would like to know when is Navy-Mavni for the year 2017 is going to open. Also, if a person speaking hindi language, citizen of India is eligible to join as a cultural advisor via mavni program. Kindly guide me.

Thanks.

23. Ritta says:

I called my recruiter this morning and she said that Navy-mavni shall open on october 2017. I just want to make sure it does.
    Thanks

Ritta,

Although discussions are taking place, the Navy still has no plan in place to reopen MAVNI. Once I hear a change to that, I will indicate it here and update the requirements (if there is a change, the current requirements will be different).

25. Paranoid says:

Really? Are there discussions taking place? I hope they end up fruitful but not expecting any positive outcome though :(

26. Kk says:

NCCM(Ret),

Does the current hold on any mavni processing effect navy? I thought it was for all branches of military. Also If navy is opening up its program that would be great.

Kk,

The Navy’s MAVNI program is currently cancelled — it isn’t on hold. All applicant processing has been terminated. If the program was to reopen, all applicants would need to meet any new program requirements. All prior applicants would be starting from scratch (if they qualify under any new program’s requirements/needs). Where discussions may have taken place, there has been absolutely no commitment made to reinstate the program. As before, if any concrete information comes out, I will post it here. Otherwise, continue with what other plans for your future you may have started.

28. Ritta says:

Who is Petty Officer and how can I contact or email him/her?. Kindly guide me.

Thanks.

Ritta,

No idea what you are asking. A Petty Officer in the Navy refers to a non-commissioned officer — it could literally be thousands of people.

You can contact your local recruiter, but the Navy IS NOT processing MAVNI applicants because the program is currently CANCELLED.

30. Kk says:

NCCM(Ret),

Just checking back, any updates?

31. Ritta says:

Any update on Navy-Mavni for fiscal year 2018???

Ritta,

No update. So far, the Navy is not planning on moving forward. When I hear differently, I will post here.

No update yet specifically meant for the MAVNI program; however, for general information: Effective, October 13, 2017, all Non United States Citizen (Green Card holders, etc.) MUST have their initial background investigation completed before leaving for boot-camp.

Those already in the delayed entry program whose investigation is not yet completed may be rolled out to a new date to allow enough time for its completion.

34. Kk says:

NCCM,

Thanks for the updated information.

35. Juan says:

My petty officer sent me a message today after one year of silence, asking me how’s everything going, and am I still interested in the NAVY MAVNI program?? LOL he said the program may start to roll again, and he is working on the old paperwork..

36. Ritta says:

Thats good to hear Juan. I hope the MAVNI program opens soon.