Navy SLRP and Enlistment Bonus Update (JUL 1, 2015)

July 2015 SLRP and EB Update

Updated: December 7, 2015

UPDATE: New update for December 2015.

Effective 01 July 2015, the Navy Student Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is suspended as no ratings or programs are currently eligible.

The Navy also reduced the number of ratings and programs currently eligible for an enlistment bonus from 13 to seven. For those who enlist into the Delayed Entry Program on or after July 1, 2015, in the ratings defined in the chart and ship to boot-camp in the corresponding months, are eligible for the listed amounts (payouts occur when established criteria is met (e.g., graduate “A” school, earn NEC, etc., discuss individual rating payout requirements with your recruiter and the rating classifier at the MEPS!)).

2015 Navy Enlistment Bonus Ratings, Effective July 1, 2015
Rating Ship Months FY EB
AIRR OCT-SEP Any $8,000
CTI-ATF OCT-SEP Any $10,000
EOD-ATF OCT-SEP Any $8,000
ND-ATF OCT-SEP Any $8,000
Nuke OCT-SEP Any $11,000
SB-ATF OCT-SEP Any $8,000
SO-ATF OCT-SEP Any $12,000

Information gathered from COMNAVCRUITCOM message, subject, “ACTIVE DUTY ENLISTMENT BONUS (EB) AND ENLISTMENT LOAN REPAYMENT” dated R 301923Z JUN 15.

22 Responses to “July 2015 SLRP and EB Update”

1. Christopher says:

Is the slrp going to receive funding again? I really want to enlist as a ctn, but didn’t jump fast enough… now I would rather wait since I have 45k in student loan debt… and a 10k bonus for cti isn’t going to cover it.

Christopher,

I have no idea if they will restore the incentive anytime soon; usually, the changes occur yearly, this latest one was only after a few months. If you wait for the incentive to return, you may be waiting longer than it would have taken to earn much more than that while serving — especially when you consider the EB and the fact that LRP funds paid out is also taxable as income.

3. Christopher says:

Well… I’m too fat right now, anyway… my hope is for the new fiscal year to bring a good slrp option… I’d much rather have even 75% of 45k paid off, than receive 7.5k cash after the EB is taxed as well.

But I suppose I will just gave to see how things go with my weight loss over the next few months.

4. Ryan says:

This will not affect contracts already in force, correct? I am shipping Aug 12 as an IT with SLRP.

Can you also enlighten me as to when or if I will receive confirmation of LRP being approved for me? My packet was completed and accepted within the required timeframe (early May), but the recruiter keeps telling me region (Houston) has no further information.

I, like so many others it seems, was after the elusive CTN rate but didn’t get it. Hopefully IT is a good deal!

Thanks for all your help and info.

Ryan,

Call 901-874-9283 or email cnrc_lrp-eb[at]navy.mil (“[at]” = @) and ask them — it is the SLRP desk at CNRC. I am afraid if it is not part of your contract as indicated on your contract annex or if not annotated in the PRIDE system, you won’t be able to get it. If it was part of your contract and annotated in the PRIDE system prior to the July 1 date, then you will get it.

6. Ryan says:

Thank you for the answer and for that contact information. It is in fact on my contract, and in PRIDE (I’m told).

Regards

7. Mark says:

One thing to remember is that Income based repayment plans for student loans only take your base pay into account. Since you’re in the military, anything left over after 10 years or 120 qualified payments will be forgiven under the public service forgiveness plan. If you have a household size of 3, then your payment will be $0 (which still counts as a qualified payment) as long as you make $2500 per month or less which shouldn’t be a problem until you’re E-6 if you’re enlisted. If you’re a commissioned officer, that’s another story. In any case, payments are never more than 10% of your discretionary income.

Mark,

I agree! Each person should weigh all the options including PSLF — I wrote a short article bringing it to attention just last month.

9. James says:

Why FTS are not eligible for enlisted bonuses?

James,

Bonuses are given out for basically two reasons; one, it’s a job few people want to do, or two, it’s a job few people can do. FTS ratings with their so few billets compared to active duty don’t really meet either of those.

11. James says:

To be specific why Career Recruiters (Nec 2186) are not eligible if they are FTS? Its a job few can do or want to do.

James,

FTS CRF has never been a hard fill as far as I know — at least it wasn’t when I was the CRF Program Manager. Active duty CRF had its challenges, but those converting would not be eligible for an enlistment bonus as they are already in.

13. Chet says:

Is the DEP PQS program still in place to advanced to E2 while at RTC? My recruiter doesn’t seem to think so. Thanks

Chet,

Yes, according to the Standards Transition Acknowledgement Requirements and Training guide (START guide page 29) for Future Sailors, the PQS program is still in place.

15. Kathy says:

What effect does a government shutdown have on the Navy enlistment process. Do MEPS personnel get furloughed. Does the whole recruitment process grind to a halt until a budget is passed? Thank you!

Kathy,

I don’t recall how it went last time — the only required civilian would be the MEPS CMO — the others jobs could be temporarily filled by the military members on board the MEPS. Whatever did happen the last time, I don’t recall it crippling the mission — even if the mission was delayed.

17. Kesha says:

Is there a bonus for someone that was prior service enlisting into the navy reserves? Also how fast is the turn around for the CWAY program to go active?

Kesha,

For a Reserve bonus, you’d have to qualify for a SELRES SRB.

To your CWAY question: Once your package hits the ECM’s desk it can take anywhere from a day to a month to hear back — ECMs do not work for CNRC and they get to those requests when they have time to get to them.

19. Tim says:

Anyone know the new process for submitting your forms to NRC for your LRP?

Tim,

New process? Do you mean to get approved for LRP, or the submittal requirements for those who already have it?

21. Barb says:

Are there currently any bonuses for joining the navy reserve as an officer? Or any loan repayment program?

Barb,

I am not aware of any commissioning bonuses for the Navy Reserve. The LRP is not available for commissioning in to the active or Reserve component (currently not funded for enlisted programs).