No More 17 Year Olds In the Fleet

Latest Navy Eligibility Changes

Updated: October 20, 2014

A few of the instructional changes that became effective today.

The days of the 15 year old sneaking off to join the military have long since past, and now, age restrictions are becoming more stringent. Because of the restrictions placed on minors being assigned to combatant units, those 17 years of age may enlist into the Delayed Entry Program, but may not leave for boot-camp prior to their 18th birthday, unless their 18th birthday will occur no later than 60 days from date of leaving for boot-camp. This policy change also applies to Future Sailors currently in the Delayed Entry Program as well as all new contracts written on or after today.

The Cryptologic Technician – Networks (CTN) rating entry ASVAB requirement has increased to AR+2MK+GS=235 or VE+AR+MK+MC=235 from a previous 222 total.

The previous change notice that affected the academic eligibility requirements for the Nuclear Power Program has been fully incorporated.

The Navy Challenge Programs (SEAL, SWCC, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Diver, Aircrew Rescue Swimmer, and the Underwater Construction Team) clarified the medical disqualifying conditions and those that potentially could be waived.

Change 1 – per instructional change that occurred September 20, 2011 which states, “17 year old Future Sailors may not ship prior to their 18th birthday, unless their 18th birthday will occur no later than 60 days, vice 90, from date of shipping.” Change is now reflected throughout the Website.

12 Responses to “Latest Navy Eligibility Changes”

1. Jeri [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

My daughter has gone through MEPS and signed a 5 year contract. Can her credit keep her out now?

Jeri,

A person’s credit and level of debt can, in fact, have a negative effect on a security clearance, so depending on the level of clearance she requires, it may cause issues.

3. Jeri [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Thank you for responding. She has already signed and was looking at Intel or AME. So we understand her credit can keep her out of Intel but can it keep her out altogether? She has $8000 of bad debt from her first marriage. She has school loans now but no other bad credit. So I guess I’m asking if it can keep her out of the service altogether? Like I said she’s already signed and been through MEPS. I would have thought they’d look at this before signing her.

Jeri,

She joined for a 5 year active duty contract but doesn’t have a specific rating or program yet — if she is in the Delayed Entry Program with a date for boot-camp, she should already know which job she has. I assume she has not been put into an Intel job because they would have run a credit check before they would place her in it. Having $8,000 in debt isn’t bad unless she hasn’t been paying and it went to collections or a judgement has been applied.

5. Jeri [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

I might have a few things mixed up. Sorry for that. And once again I thank you for your time. She signed for AME and wanted to be recertified for Intel. She has actually just signed to go in early. Her original date for boot camp was January 13, 2016. I’m sorry to say her debt has gone to collections/judgement. Someone told her that because of her credit she could be booted out totally. This makes no sense to me. It seems to me that since she already went to MEPS, signed her contract for AME etc and taken the oath that she is in. She may not get Intel but she should be okay for AME. Would I be correct in assuming that?

Jeri,

I assume the reason she was put into the ratings she was is because Intel wasn’t going to be a likely option. She should be okay with AME based on what you are telling me.

7. Jeri [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Thank you so much for your time. :)

8. Scot says:

I am looking at enlisting in the navy and everything I read about up to date so far says to pass the ASVAB for the navy is a 35 but recruiters and Frieda’s tell me 50 for the afqt score. Can some please confirm the most recent up to date score for the afqt to pass for the navy?

Scot,

I have no idea what or who a Frieda is.

The minimum ASVAB score allowed to join the Navy is a 35QT; HOWEVER, when the current openings and goaling restrictions otherwise dictate it, many times that score is raised to 50. That is not uncommon.

10. Monica says:

I have always wanted to join the Navy. Unfortunately i was a single mother with custody of my son. I am now 37 yrs old and I know the oldest to join the Reserves is 39. My son and my husband (Navy Ret) are both very supportive and want me to do what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve had a few people tell me I probably don’t have to go to Basic Training but i want to make sure so I can start trainig asap. Is this true?
    Look forward to some answers Thank You.

Monica,

Boot-camp is required. Get in touch with a recruiter so you can get this process started (and you can practice your push-ups and running! :)).

12. Monica says:

NCCM (Ret),

Thank You for the quick response and for your time. Have a great day.