Medically Disqualifed at MEPS, Now What? Pg-114

Navy Recruiting Medical Waiver Process

Written by
Published: September 17, 2009
Updated: April 24, 2019

8,598 Responses to “Navy Recruiting Medical Waiver Process”

1. Navydoc says:

John,
    Your recruiter gets “credit” for your butt in the seat on the way to RTC. It doesn’t matter (to her) what happens to you once you get there. You will specifically be asked on medical inspect (done within 72 hours of shipping) if you have seen a provider during DEP. Lying is grounds for fraudulent enlistment. I used to do physicals in Guam, micronesia, samoa,etc. The process is no different, other than distances and logistics, than all other MEPS.

2. Mops23 says:

Hello Sir,

I am currently active duty. I have a history of angioedema, usually my lips and tongue. It has never compromised my breathing. I have no known allergies, but obviously, could with the symptoms. I have not been able to connect the angioedema to any exposure (happened after eating different things, in several different states). I have had about 6 episodes over the past 3-4 years.

Could I get a waiver for this? Am I still deployable?

Thanks.

3. Joe says:

I was Disqualified by MEPS when I tried joining Army. I passed my hearing exam but meps doc in Atl saw some scarring on my right ear drum and scar behind ear. I was advised to see ENT for eval. Submitted docs and army granted Med waiver.
    I’m currently pursuing Navy. What are my chances of getting Navy med waiver?
    I had a Mygionstapedextomy with a P.O.R.P. In 1998 at age 11.

4. Christian says:

Will getting a surgery called crosslinking that stops keratoconus from deteriorating get me accepted?

5. navydoc says:

Christian,

6. navydoc says:

Joe,
    Army gives more waivers than Navy, but you can certainly try.

7. navydoc says:

Mops23,
    I only deal with accessions medicine.

8. kelly [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Good morning NavyDoc, Do you have any clue how long an appeal (not a waiver) may take? An appeal was submitted before Thanksgiving and still no word. Any suggestions that could help to expedite a decision?

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Adding previous comment for background:

My son is trying to enlist as a Navy JAG officer but was recently DQ – need advise ASAP please. Initial blood sample was all good except his blood sugar was 4 points higher than the range (most likely contributed by high carb diet in preparation for a sprint triathalon), an A1C test was requested. The second blood sample taken, his A1C came back normal, but now his bilirubin level was high. He was requested he see a gastroenterologist for liver evaluation. A third blood sample was taken, bilirubin normalized but radiologist noted a small benign cyst was present on kidney (no family history of cystic fibrosis) with no course of treatment or followup needed based on board certified gastroenterologist professional opinion. Navy DQ’d my son stating history of Hyperbilirubinemia and renal cyst. At this point, there have been 4 blood samples where only 1 noted as high on bilirubin, which it is suggested that it was high likely due to either being sick w/ mono (asymptomatic) or because he had just returned from a hiking trip from his first trip to Colorado (strenuous exercise in high elevation), which one elevated result can not be classified as a condition.

The DQ documentation stated that these are not waiverable (not sure why) but the JAG recruiter advised he can appeal the decision. If anyone has any recommendations to assist him with what to include in the appeal or have any insight, we would be extremely grateful for some direction. My son is vey healthy and has never had any medical issues. Joining the Navy has been his lifelong dream for many years and wants to fight to have a successful appeal.

Thank you in advance.

9. Navydoc says:

Jelly,
    There is no such thing as an appeal (because there is no one to appeal to—there is no one higher than the waiver authority in accessions medicine). In general, a request for reconsideration of waiver requires submission of compelling new medical evidence. Such a request should not take more than 3-4 weeks.

10. VICKY says:

Good morning Sir,
    I would like to ask if taking Levothyroxine daily for Hypothyroidism will tat disqualify my son for applying in the service ? Does the recruiter needs to apply for a waiver ? The endocrinologist who’s been prescribing it to my son , wrote a letter that the medicine will not affect his cognitive nor any skills and he should be accepted in any job. So , pls. help us . He wants to go to a Navy recruiter but afraid that he might be disqualified because of this. He had history of Asthma 8-10 yrs. ago but not on any medication and had been healthy, fit and works our 2-3 hrs. a day and eating healthy.
    Thanks so much and I do appreciate your recommendation. Pls. help because my son really wants to join the military Particularly Navy and serve our country.

11. Navydoc says:

Vicky,
    No and no.

12. Mike J. says:

Hello sir,
    I have gone through the MEPs physical exam and passed. My BP was high when it was taken at MEPS for the physical. About 160/85 I believe. I had a cardiology consult where they checked out my heart. The doctor said that my elevated bp was probably based off nervousness because he concluded I was an active Male applicant with no PMH or FH of cardiovascular disease. Both the ekgs and ultrasounds were normal. Would the next step require me to comeback again for 2 consecutive bp tests? Or can it be approved without an extra consult or tests because it was due to nerves?

Thanks for any help!

13. navydoc says:

MikeJ,
    If you had high BP during the MEPS exam, you did not pass the physical. Did you see a MEPS consultant or your own cardiologist (MEPS does not routinely do cardiology consults for high BP)? The standard for having elevated BP at MEPS is to submit 2 days of manual blood pressures from your own PCP within 5 days. If the average of the submitted BPs and the MEPS manual BP is less than 140/90, you would be qualified. If your average is higher than that, you need waiver.

14. Mike J. says:

Navydoc,

MEPS had me come back to go to one of their contracted civilian cardiology consultS for an EKG and Ultrasound (I found it to be atypical for just an elevated bp level). If I was determined to have elevated bp would they still be likely to make me go to a PCP for daily consecutive BP review? My recruiter said that waivers for elevated BP are not often granted. Is this correct or is it always done on a case by case basis?

Thanks!

15. navydoc says:

Mike J,
    That is weird to have a cardiology consult for simple elevated BP. Was your BP high with the cardiologist? If your average BPs are below 140/90, you would not need a waiver at all. If it is above, waiver is dependent on the needs of the service.

16. ESY says:

Good afternoon Sir,
    I went to meps and was temporarily disqualified for umbilical and abdominal hernia.the doc at meps requested for evaluation. I went to my doctor and the evaluation is asymptomatic umbilical and midepigastric midline reducible. My question is, is my condition a disqualify factor at meps? can I get waiver on them.
    Is it advisable to fix it before sending paper works to meps?
    Thank you so much for all your are doing.

17. Gerrad says:

I’m currently trying to join the navy but I was disqualified because in my old medical documents it stated I had a panic attack and anxiety but I was never diagnosed, didn’t take medication, nor did I see a psychiatrist. I had my doctor and went to see a psychiatrist to confirm and write a letter saying I was stable and no signs of depression or anxiety. I still got disqualified is there anything else I can do?

18. SW says:

NavyDoc,

I am active duty and was wondering the chances of getting a medical waiver in order to accept a direct commission for medical service corps. Currently taking meds for depression and ADHD… What would be supportive documentation to submit to prove I am more than able and willing to fufill my duties. It feels a bit unfair that I would be medically disqualified to commission but can continue enlisted

19. joe says:

Hello Sir,
    I have started this process two years ago back in 2016 and was disqualified from the coast guard for misdiagnosis of Oppositional defiant disorder I’ve had my child therapist write a letter and more about the misunderstanding because I was never diagnosed nor treated for this but I still was not able to move forward to MEPS until I sought help from my local state congressman whom pushed them to move me forward to get seen at MEPS with a psych consult order attached to clear me of having this on my record but was never able to do so because once i arrived to meps they stopped me for my weight and was unable to move forward with psych consult I was told then that since I had shown proof of never being diagnosed with this disorder that it would be removed from my record cut to present time I am now being denied once again with the navy for this same disorder with the meps waiver board saying they need to see more information about my treatments and symptoms but I have given them everything I had possible about the fact that I was never diagnosed with this and so therefore I can not produce any documents about treatments or symptoms if i am to be denyed a waiver is there anything more i could do or anywhere to seek further help for this misunderstanding i just want to serve my country join the navy i have been to meps with the doctors approval to come but was told i still needed a waiver only to be denied a waiver and now meps kicked back their approval this is the only thing stopping me from joining the navy and it’s all because of a misunderstanding any information is helpful I would like to know how good my chances are of getting approved a waiver and if there’s anything else that i could maybe provide that would prove that i do not have this disorder nor ever did.

20. Mom of Recruit says:

My son desires to be in the USMC. He passed his exams with a 94 (97 the first time). He went for physical and they had him get x-rays for Kyphosis. Its pretty obvious he has the condition especially when he has his shirt of. What are the chances he will get any type of waiver? Would he be able to apply for the Army if DQ’d from the Marines?

21. navydoc says:

Mom of Recruit,
    If his kyphosis is greater than 50 degrees, or he has any evidence of juvenile epiphysitis or Schmorl’s nodes, he will be DQ from all services. Marines do not give many orthopedic waivers; Army waives more than all of the other services combined.

22. navydoc says:

joe,
    If ODD is in your records, you need a waiver. Waivers are at the sole discretion of the service (meaning that no one, including Congresspeople, can force the service to grant a waiver. Congressional Inquiries only ensure that proper procedures are followed). If you have had no mental health issues for the past several years, no arrests or disciplinary problems in school (suspension, expulsions), waiver should be considered. ODD is usually a diagnosis given to unruly children/teens who won’t mind their parents or other authority figures.

23. navydoc says:

SW,
    Officers are always held to a higher standard than enlisted. If your service needs your particular skill (MSC covers a lot of different disciplines) waiver would be considered.

24. navydoc says:

Gerrad,
    Request waiver consideration History of a panic attack is PDQ.

25. navydoc says:

ESY,
    Depending on the size, you may be PDQ. If you have the hernias repaired, you will be TDQ for 3 months, and then will not need a waiver.

26. John says:

Hey doc,
    I’d there any disqualifying on the following list:
    1. Deformed schaphoid and triquetrum.
    2. Advanced osteoarthritic changes at radiocapal, schaphotrapeziotrapezoidal and lunotriquetral articulations and schapholunate ligament tear.
    3. Sclerosis in the scaphoid proximal pole, concerning for avascular necrosis.
    Widening of the scapholunate interval measures up to 0.6cm. Joint space narrowing with subchondral sclerosis and prominent osteophytes at radiocarpal and scaphotrapeziotrapezoid articulations. Scaphoid and triquetrum deformed.
    *i can still lift and do push ups. No problem using my left hand.

I really would like to know if anything is disqualifying or can get waived. Thank you for your time.

27. navydoc says:

John,
    You will need a waiver. Without reviewing your medical records to see what the initial injury/disease was, and what kind of treatment you have received, I cannot opine on the likelihood of a waiver being granted.

28. John says:

That’s actually from my xray report. I hurt my wrist a month ago during basketball. I fell and landed on my wrist. It only hurt for a week but after I noticed stiffness. I went to see the chiropractor and he did a range of motion test on my wrist and it lacked movement so he suggested to get an X-ray. I have not received any treatment and my chiropractor referred me to a hand surgeon specialist to get it evaluated of what kind of treatment should be done. Problem is it cost a lot to consult a specialist that’s why I was hoping you had any idea if there’s any disqualifying on the list above. I told the head recruiter since I’m currently in dep and he asked if it prevents me from doing any physical activities. I said the only thing I can’t do is have my palm flat on the ground while doing push-up, nonetheless I can still do as much as push-ups I could prior to injuring my wrist(about 65). Basically I’m doing push-ups with half of my upper left hand part(just about where my callous are). While the lower half of my left hand doesn’t touch the ground.

29. Alexis says:

Was previously enlisted in USMC was medically discharged for Hip dysplasia wasn’t given any surgical options. 10yrs later I’ve had a surgery to correct the dysplasia and now have a Normal hip and hip socket I do not have any hardware remaining have been placed back to a fully active status ie running jumping my surgeon has written a statement deeming me fit for military service. What is the possibility of getting the waiver when I know full well I could pass a physical.

30. SNA Hopeful says:

Hey Doc,

From 2007-2008, when I was between 11 and 12, I had bouts of recurring Clostridium Difficile (C. Diff.) caused by taking antibiotics. I have had no other gastro issues since my last episode ended in 2008 and other than this am healthy.

I saw another individual earlier in the thread post about C Diff, but theirs was not recurring. My ultimate concern is how this is going to be viewed by the doctors at MEPS and NAMI. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time.

31. Rebecca says:

13 years ago me and my friends would do self harm to ourselves. My scars are all around my left forearm, including wrist. But I absolutely never, never had suicidal tendencies or any sort of mental problem that comes with that normally. I never did it out of depression, it was just a thing to do. I never had to see a therapist or counselor, and never put on medication. I did get stitches twice and the doctors that stitched me up didn’t seem to think I had anything wrong.
    I guess I’m asking you if this will disqualify me. I’m 26 now and haven’t even thought about the act since being I was 12-13 years old. Thank you

32. navydoc says:

Rebecca,
    History of self harm is PDQ.

33. navydoc says:

Alexis,
    USMC is unlikely to waive orthopedic issues.

34. navydoc says:

SNA Hopeful,
    I cannot give an informed opinion without reading those medical records.

35. navydoc says:

John,
    You will be asked if you have seen a doctor or other provider (chiro) while in the DEP. If you lie, you will be at risk for fraudulent enlistment. The fact that there is a concern for avascular necrosis is a big deal. Disclose your problem and submit your medical records for review BEFORE you go to ship to boot camp.

36. elle_24 says:

Hey Doc!

Apologies if this has already been asked (and for the long winded question). I tried the site search and it seems most things were from 2008 or not exactly similar to my situation. I’ve taken a stab at DoD 6130.03 and I’m a bit confused by the regs regarding mental health.

In grad school I was seen by a Physician’s Assistant on campus who diagnosed me with major depressive disorder (after seeing me for ~10 minutes total) and prescribed me with anti-depressants. I took them for roughly five months while simultaneously seeing a therapist. Really, I think the therapist helped more than the meds and all I really needed was someone to help me find ways to work through dealing with adversity. Anyway, I’m looking at pursuing a second career in nursing and hoping to eventually join the Nurse Corps in either the Army or Navy once I complete my BSN (and then work towards becoming a Psych NP!). I’m slightly confused by the current standards in DoD 6130.03.

These are the standards as of 06May18:
    (1) Outpatient care including counseling required for longer than 12 cumulative months;
    – Outpatient care was <6 months total
    (2) Symptoms or treatment within the last 36 months;
    – March 2020 will be 36 months since I stopped taking meds (I won't even be applying for a commission until at least 2022)
    (3) The applicant required any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility;
    – Did not require any inpatient treatment
    (4) Any recurrence; or
    – No recurrence
    (5) Any suicidality (in accordance with Paragraph 5.28.m.).
    – Not suicidal

My confusion is, are the new standards saying that I will not need a waiver since I received treatment less than 12 months and that when I apply in 2022 it will have been over 36 months since I had treatment? Or, is it saying that it is now *potentially* waiverable because treatment was less than 12 months and ended over 36 months ago?

Also, assuming I will need to provide documentation either way, when I saw the PA and was diagnosed he told me what to do should I decide not to use the medication anymore. I weened myself off with his instruction and never saw him again. Thus, I do not have documentation from him that I stopped taking the medication under his care. At this point, I do not even live in the same state (1,600 miles away) so going back to see him again isn't feasible. Will I need documentation that I stopped taking the medication with him? If so, would seeing a psychiatrist where I currently live suffice to prove that I am asymptomatic and in good/stable mental health?

Thanks in advance!

37. Alexis says:

While in USMC found out I had Hip dysplasia was medically discharged for this without receiving corrective surgery which could’ve saved my career fast forward have since received the surgery to correct the dysplastic hip. No hardware remains, hip is now considered normal no signs of any osteoarthritis or labrum tears since. I am wondering if possible to try and get into the NAVY I’m 29 physically active I can run the PFTs and can pass a physical I am just wondering if being that history of hip dysplasia is PDQ if the dysplasia has been corrected?

38. navydoc says:

Alexis,
    Yes, it is still PDQ.

39. John says:

Hey Doc,
    I have turned in my medical records like you adviced. No word from my recruiter yet about my med records. Do you think concern for avascular necrosis on scaphoid is disqualifying? Thanks for the response.

40. Chris G says:

Afternoon Navy Doc,
    I spoke to my Marine recruiter about the status of a waiver I’ve been waiting for and sadly it was rejected after BUMED. I asked if there was anything else that could be done and I was told that normally I would have to wait a year to reapply or I could look into another branch. Honestly, I had my heart set out with the Marine Corp but I was hoping if you could possibly give me a second opinion on what could be done. My waiver was due to MEPS requesting my medical history and after providing the documents, they allegedly found something stating that I once saw blood in my stool. I don’t recall the incident but after getting a stool test and a doctor’s recommendation that I didn’t have blood in my stool, my waiver was still denied. Overall, I just wanted to know if there really was nothing else that could be done, could I possibly look at a waiver with any other branch, or if that’s that and I just can’t join the military. Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,
    Chris G

41. Chris G says:

Afternoon Navy Doc,

42. bmw007dad says:

Good afternoon, Sir:

My son is attempting to join the Navy under DEP, but prior to going to MEPS, he was asked about having “asthma” due to a statement on a medical record which said “asthma-like symptoms” on a hospital admission in October 2018. Our son has never been diagnosed with asthma, but the medical review folks are requesting he get a note/letter from a Dr. stating he does not have asthma before proceeding further. Unfortunately, his doctor will not oblige as he does not want to sign a statement like that. Is there anything else we can do? Please advise.

Thanks…bmw007dad

43. Happy says:

My son has bunions on both feet. He is headed to MEPs soon. Is it an atomically DQ?? I’m getting mixed reviews regarding this issue. He didn’t even know he had them. He is a full athlete. Never had a problem. He is staying positive, but I need to mentally prepare myself for what could happen.

44. Chris says:

NavyDoc,

19yr old son was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism at age 10. He has been on 50mcg Levothyroxine (Synthroid) since that time, yearly checkups and no dosage increase required with hormone levels stable for nine years. Competed 4 years competitive high school swimming and has no problems. Marine recruiter asked if he could go off meds for boot camp. I guess the answer would be “maybe” since the dosage is so low but if I’m correctly reading everything posted so far, since this a controlled hypothyroid condition it is not disqualifying, will not require a waiver and you state that meds can be taken to boot camp (any branch). Is this correct and is there any additional information he should provide to the recruiter? Thanks.

45. navydoc says:

Chris,
    He doesn’t need to go off meds for boot camp and his recruiter should be fired for making such an ill-informed and potentially dangerous statement.

46. navydoc says:

HAppy,
    It will depend on the specifics of his foot exam.

47. navydoc says:

bmw00dad,
    He needs to submit all of his medical records since the age of 12.

48. navydoc says:

Chris G,
    I would ask for a copy of your MEPS medical records to see exactly what the ICD 10 code for disqualification is. You can also try another service.

49. navydoc says:

John,
    Avascular necrosis is PDQ, but more importantly, it needs to be treated. You are being very short sighted by not seeking the medical evaluation that was recommended.

50. Chris says:

Thanks NavyDoc! Follow up question regarding the controlled Hypothyroidism. How far apart do the two thyroid stimulating hormone tests need to be that are brought to MEPS? Son has his yearly checkup with endocrinologist next week and will get his annual bloodwork so just wondering when he should get a 2nd test scheduled? Thanks.

51. Gabriel says:

Hi, my name is raymer and I’m joining the usmc dep, and 2 days ago i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism but i went to meps like two weeks ago and i wasn’t discualify but i my contract I taking long and I want to know if I can go to boot camp with hyperthyroidism.

52. navydoc says:

Chris,
    The new DoDI states you only need one normal TSH within the past 12 months, as long as the dose of synthroid has not changed. If your dose changes, you need 2 normal TSH results at least 6 weeks apart, to show the the dosing is correct.

53. Chris says:

Thanks NavyDoc. Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is the leading cause of hypothyroidism. I’ve referenced AR 40-510 and Thyrioditis does not meet the standard. Therefore it appears even though a patient may have controlled hypothyroidism with no change in Synthroid past 12mo and normal TSH, if everything is Hashimoto’s related it is disqualifying. Also DoDI states that hypothyroidism must asymptomatic and be demonstrated euthyroid (normally functioning thyroid gland) which doesn’t make sense because if the thyroid was normal functioning then patient wouldn’t need thyroid replacement medicine. Sorry for all the emails but I appreciate any further thoughts related to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and hypothyroidism. Thanks!

54. Gabriel says:

Does meps take that long to notify me about it??

55. navydoc says:

Chris,
    Thyroiditis and hyperthyroid are only DQ if untreated. Hypothyroid is only DQ if not euthyroid ON MEDS. AR 40-501 is not applicable to MEPS. The proper document for MEPS accessions medical standards is the DoDI 6130.03.

56. navydoc says:

Gabriel,
    You must notify MEPS that you were diagnosed as hyperthyroid, get treated, and the go to boot camp once you are euthyroid. MEPS can’t notify you about something that you found out about somewhere else. It is your responsibility to notify MEPS of your new condition.

57. John says:

Doc,
    When I visited the arthopedic he said that my avascular necrosis and osteoarthritis are untreatable and unrepairable. That my wrist had been through a lot over time that is why it got worse through out the years. Turns out on the X-ray I didn’t get avn and osteoarthritis from my recent injury on Jan25 but I had them for so long now and it’s too late to treat or repair the damage that my wrist accumulated. The arthopedic said I just have to deal it with it for the rest of my life. How likely will I get a waiver approved for this? My recruiter said he’ll turn in a waiver and not worry about it. Thanks doc for the help.

58. Chris says:

NavyDoc,

You are very knowledgeable and your feedback is much appreciated. So just to confirm, my son should provide the recruiter with the latest blood work report (done within last 12 months) showing normal TSH as well as entire 10 year patient history report from endocrinologist? I assume the recruiter would then submit that documentation along with DD form 2807-2 prior to scheduling the med exam with MEPS and all should go smoothly.

Last is there any documentation or link you can refer me to that specifically states the Marines will allow son to bring 3 month supply of Synthroid (or do they prescribe it there?) and be able to take it daily during the entire 12 week boot camp? Recruiters really seem to be pushing back on this one.

59. Navydoc says:

John,
    Since the orthopedist confirmed AVN and you have loss of mobility from the OA, you will need a waiver.

60. Navydoc says:

Chris,
    Recruiters DO NOT make medical fitness determinations. Nobody but MEPS physicians can do that. A recruiter who tells an applicant to stop taking medication is practicing medicine without a license and should be reported to their chain of command and fired. If your son doesn’t disclose his hypothyroidism to MEPS and shows up to boot camp he will be discharged shortly thereafter with a fraudulent enlistment code. While not taking synthroid for a few weeks will not kill a person, stopping other medications can, and occasionally does, kill recruits. The document that says recruits can be on synthroid is the DoDI 6130.03, which is the ONLY medical accessions document for all 6 services. He will need to submit the documents you noted and his DD 2807-2 prior to MEPS. Your son will need to take enough medication in an original bottle to last at least a month, and then when he has his medical intake at recruit training he will be given medication from the navy doctors at Parris island or Pendleton, depending on if he goes to east coast or west coast boot camp.

61. John says:

Doc,
    How likely will my waiver be approved for this considering my osteoarthritis is already advanced/chronic? Again thank you.

62. Gabriel says:

Thank you for answering my question, navydoc.
    And I have one more and last question, are they going to dq me because of my hyperthyroidism?? Because other people are saying that they will dq and won’t be able to join.

63. Francisco says:

Doc,

I was just wondering if it would be worth my time to try to enlist in the Navy after already having my waiver denied by the Air Force. When I went to MEPS the first time I still was a bit on the heavy side and wasn’t able to perform some of the exercises. After a year of being denied the first time I tried to get another waiver but this time with some paperwork from my family doctor stating that I was physically fit and that all my previous issues in the past were no longer an issue. My request for a re-evaluation was denied. My doctor says if I were to be re-evaluated I would be fine but I know that MEPS has the final say in the matter.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

64. navydoc says:

Francisco,
    I don’t know why you required a waiver, so I can’t offer an opinion.

65. navydoc says:

Gabriel,
    Yes. Untreated hyperthyroidism is DQ. You must get treatment (surgery or radioactive iodine) and be euthyroid (on or off medication) for a minimum of 12 months.

66. MARIBEL says:

Hi- i am hoping i can get some help. my son wants to join the marines. he went to meps 3x already, one to take his asbav test, and second time to take his hearing test, which he fail, he was told to go back to retake it which he did, so he is told by the meps dr, that he fail, by a little and that he has a minimum hearing loss, he was told hes going to need a waiver. now his recruiter told him to do a letter saying why he wants to joint the military, my question is, who is the one that will request the waiver? and will the results of his test be sent to the recruiter? my son didn’t do the eye exam he has too go in a few weeks back, but i am a little concern because he has astigmatism in one eye, the other eye he sees perfectly, i am thinking he will need a waiver for that too. can you please tell me what he needs to do? if you suggest he sees a civilian doctor? or is meps going to assign him to one of their doctors? also i dont understand why his recruiter suggests he did a letter. Thank You in advance for your help>

67. navydoc says:

Maribel,
    A waiver cannot be request by MEPS until the physical exa is complete. If he needs an eye consult, his physical is not complete. Letters are busy work the recruiters give to applicants to give them something to do and to motivate them through the wait for waiver. Letters have no weight in medical decision making.

68. Maribel says:

Thank You Navy Doc, For Taking The Time To Answer My Questions. Hoping For A Good Outcome.

69. John says:

So what do you think doc, what are the chances I’ll get it approved?

70. Kent says:

Will the Navy issue a medical waiver for vesicoureteral reflux that was corrected at age 5 via surgery with no chronic recurrence for the last 15 years? If so, to what level would the waiver need to go and potentially how long would it take?

71. Francisco says:

They told me I needed one for my flat feet, flexibility of my ankles and my knock knees. Sorry, I should have included that in the first post that I made on the 11th. My family doctor gave me the thumbs up but I know it’s not up to him to decide

72. navydoc says:

Francisco,
    It depends on why you had the problems. For example, loss of ankle dorsiflexion might be from tarsal coalition, which would be unlikely to waived.

73. navydoc says:

Kent,
    There is only one level of medical waiver for each service, which is the medical waiver authority. For the Navy, that is N3M, and takes about 3 weeks.. Waivers depend on the needs of the service.

74. navydoc says:

John,
    Waivers depend on the needs of the service.

75. jonah. says:

Hi! I plan on joining the Army. I suffered from a Stage 3 AC Separation around October of 2017. Since then my arm has healed completely allowing me full range of motion and full strength. I was wondering if there was any chance of a DQ because of this separation. Also I have the entire After Visit Report from the ER where I went and was wondering if that would be a good enough medical record collection for a waiver to be issued. It’s almost been a year and a half and the ETA heal time for a stage 3 separation is 12 weeks, so im guessing there’s a higher chance of a waiver being approved. Thanks for your time!

~Jonah

©Navy CyberSpace. All Rights Reserved.