Beware of Latest Military Email Scam

Military Email Spam Scam

Updated: April 3, 2015

Well, how low can you go. I am now starting to receive emails which put a different twist on the Nigerian scam – now they seem to be using U.S. military personnel. Shame!!

Here is the latest email I received;

I am in the Engineering military unit here in Ba’qubah in Iraq, we have some amount of funds that we want to move out of the country. My partners and I need a good partner someone we can trust. to receive this funds on our behalf. We are moving it through Diplomatic means, to send it to your house directly. Once the funds get to you, you take your 30% out and keep our own 70%.
Regards,
Sgt.Charles Berry.

Remember, even at the off chance the person who sent you was an actual service member what they are suggesting is illegal!

Do not respond to these crooks, they will attempt to get your account information and clean you out!!

23 Responses to “Military Email Spam Scam”

1. Rene Hodgdon says:

I received an email from what appears to be a military email account asking me to assist a military member in finding a house to purchase. They offer to send money to my account to complete the purchase for them.

This is how the email address appeared at first…

sgt.aguayo.h.h.[at]us.army.mil

Once the email was opened the true address was revealed to be…

root[at]rahu.tvcca.org
  2. Stephanie Wiley says:

I just received this message in my junk box. I thought I would pass this along. Just another scam!!!!

Hello Friend,

I hope my email meets you well. I am in need of your assistance. My nameis SGT Henning Hansen. I am in the Engineering military unit here inBa’qubah in Iraq,we have some amount of funds that we want to move out ofthe country. My partners and I need a good partner someone we can trust. It is oilmoney and legal.Basically since we are working for the government wecannot keep these funds, but we want to transfer and move the funds toyou, so that you can keep it for us in your safe account or an offshoreaccount. But we are moving it through Diplomatic means, to send it to your housedirectly or a bank of your choice using Diplomatic Courier Service. The most important thing is that can we trust you? Once the funds get toyou, you take your 30% out and keep our own 70%. Your own part of thisdeal is to find a safe place where the funds can be sent to. Our own partis sending it to you.If you are interested i will furnish you with moredetails. But the whole process is simple and we must keep a low profile at all times. This business is risk free. Regards, SGT.Hansen

3. NCCM(ret) says:

Stephanie,

It never ceases to amaze me at the depths these idiots will stoop.

4. Jennifer says:

See below this is what I recieved today in my inbox another scam but address don’t change once you open.

From: Col.Brian Smith-Dutton [mailto:briansmith.dutton@army.mil]
    Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:38 PM
    To:
    Subject: RE: US MILITARY IN AFGHANISTAN.

Hi My Friend,

I am Brian Smith-Dutton, Commander of the,3rd HBCT/ 3ID Peace keeping force deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan from Iraq.Can you be trusted?

I have some important items to ship to you, get back to me for more information through my private mail(colbriansmithdutton@yahoo.com.hk).I will explain further when i get a response from you.

Respectfully,

Brian Smith-Dutton
    US 3rd HBCT Corps. Kabul

Jennifer,

Yup, that is a scam — thank you for posting it!

6. Jennifer [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

I received the same email this morning and it sickened me to my stomach, my father was a Vietnam Veteran and to think that there are people out there who are pretending to be active service men to scam people… like I said before – it sickened me. [I’ve copied the offending email below]:

Hi My Friend,

I have some important items to ship to you, get back to me for more information through my private mail(briansmith.dutton@yahoo.com).I will explain further when i get a response from you.

Respectfully,

Brian Smith-Dutton

US 3rd HBCT Corps. Kabul

7. CPT H says:

NEW-Same scam:”Col Carl Smith ”
    ___________________________________________

Carl Smith (carlsmith200012@yahoo.co.jp)
    Sent:
    Thu 1/09/14 12:04 AM

To:
    Sir/Madam.

My name is Col Carl Smith; I am an American soldier, serving in the military with the army’s 4th Battalion, 64th Armored Regiment. I need your assistance,

I have summed up courage to contact you. As far as my situation here is concern reaching out via this medium is personally considered safest and the cheapest means of reaching out to you from the U.S.Military base here in the Middle East.

From all indications you are God sent, with the way and how lucky I was to get
    your e-mail contact address from the U.S. military base library address journal through my online search just a few minutes ago.

I am seeking your kind assistance to move the sum of (US$22MILLION) to you, as far as I can be assured that my share will be safe in your care until I complete my service here in Afghanistan. This money was discovered in Iraq in 2003, and the above mentioned amount was given to me as my personal share by my battalion, which includes (Staff Sgt.Kenneth Buff & Sgt.Van Daniel Ess).

The amount (US$22MILLION) was part of money we got when we were in Iraq. Please visit any of the bellow website [LINK REMOVED] and

{spam URL}

With the speculated troop withdrawal by president Obama, I want to move this
    money to you for safe keeping pending the completion of my assignment in Afghanistan.

But, my question is ‘CAN I TRUST YOU”?. You will be rewarded with 40% of this
    fund for your help. Please respond to personal E-mail ID for further details.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Col Carl Smith

8. Dee. says:

Similiar scam, “trunk boxes” instead of money. See below.

Subject:

RE: GREETINGS FROM SGT. PYROS, US ARMY.

From:

SGT. PYROS STEPHANE (email address removed)

Date:

Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:09 AM

Greetings;

I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner; I found your name listed in the Trade Center Chambers of Commerce directory here in Iraq, I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business. I only pray this time that your address is still valid. I want to solicit your attention to receive money on my behalf.

I am Sgt. Pyros Stephan, officer from US Army; i am one of the U.S. Army deployed to Iraq in the beginning of the war in 2003, and also a West Point Graduate presently serving in the Military with the 82nd Air Borne Division Peace keeping force in Baghdad, Iraq. I am on the move to Syria from Iraq as the last batch just left, and i really need your help in assisting me with the safe keeping of two military trunk boxes which has just arrived the USA from Iraq. I hope you can be trusted? Though, I would like to hold back certain information for security reasons for now until you have found time to visit the BBC website news below to enable you have insight regarding what I intend to share with you, believing that it would be of your desired interest in one way or the other.

Click on this BBC news listing to confirms what I want to share with you: [LINK REMOVED]

Here is another BBC news listing which has more information; Click to open [LINK REMOVED]

if you can be trusted, I will explain further when i get a response from you. Get back to me having visited the above websites to enable us discuss in a more vivid manner to the best of your understanding? I must say that I’m very uncomfortable sending this message to you without knowing truly if you would misconstrue the importance and decide to go public.

In this regards, I will not hold back to say that the essence of this letter is strictly for mutual benefit of you and I and nothing more. I will be more vivid and coherent in my next email in this regards. Meanwhile, could you send me a mail confirming you have visited the site and understood my intentions? Am standing by for your urgent response now that we are leaving Iraq to Syria.

You can get back to me via e-mail: [email address removed]

Thanks.

Best regards.
    Sgt. Pyros Stephane
    US ARMY
    E-mail: [email address removed]

9. mark. says:

Similiar scam

I am Sgt.Stanley, Commander of the,3rd HBCT/ 3ID Sledgehammer Peace keeping force deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan from Iraq.Can you be trusted? I have some important items to ship to you, get back to me as per for more information through my private mail (stanleyhassaian34[at]outlook.com) I will explain further when i get a response from you. Respectfully, Sgt.Stanley US 3rd HBCT Corps. Kabul

10. Isabel [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Stationed in Afghanistan sent me an email wanting to ship me a trunk with 10 million dollars in it. Even sent me several pictures of herself in uniform. However trunk is stuck in New Delhi, India and Mr. KENNETH is in charge of express courier. Sgt. Monica Brown needs me to send $3400. For it to clear customs and be sent to my address in the states. I DON’T THINK SO.

11. Marietha, says:

Received this in my mail and see here that it’s been doing the rounds since 2011 …
    Greetings from Kabul.

I am Col Brian Smith Dutton, Commander of the ,3rd HBCT/ 3ID Sledgehammer Peace keeping force deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan from Iraq. Can you be trusted? I have some important items to ship to you, get back to me ASAP for more information through my private mail ( briansmith.dutton[at]yahoo.com ). I will explain further when I get a response from you.

Respectfully,
    Col Brian Smith-Dutton
    US 3rd HBCT Corps. Kabul

12. ISABEL. says:

I received this scam 6 months ago. They even sent me pictures of this lady in a army uniform. I knew it was fraud.

13. Steph J. says:

I got this today, 05/10/16

Thank you for responding to my email. I apologize to encroach into your privacy in this manner, I got your contact from a directory on the Internet here in Afghanistan. I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business and i pray at this time that, your e-mail contact address is still valid. I know you don’t know me but i meant no harm sending you this note, just that I don’t have anyone out there to talk to, as I lost my parents in a car Accident, when I was 11 year old, I was raise up by my adopted parents, but they died years ago, the relatives of my adopted Parents throw me out of the house saying that I was not their real daughter. I know you can handle this money for me on till I come over to meet with you, we can also build friendship with this transaction. I lived in Lake Jackson, Texas before joining the Force.

You may be wondering why I choose to trust a delicate matter like this in the care of a stranger, but this is the best I can do in my present situation and I would have trusted this kind of project in the hands of my Husband who was my closest confidant, but I lost him to cancer on 22nd April, 2006 5 months after we got married, and my only brother has ruined his life with hard drugs, hence my decision to work with a neutral person if we can establish some trust between ourselves instead of confiding in my buddies back home so that this little secret can be preserved.

Let me start by introducing my self. My names are Sgt. Lara Thomas Mark Jr, I am assigned to 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division[3]. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $10,500,000.00 (Ten Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

SOURCE OF MONEY:
    I and some other high ranking Officers made some deal on oil business over there in Afghanistan before my exit to Iraq. The deal worth $132 Million United States Dollars and after we have all share the money I later realize $10.5 Million US DOLLARS which is my personal share of the deal, due to my status as a US Sergeant, I can not be able to move this huge funds to my account in United States to avoid further interrogation or face any kind of probation by the U.S government and I packaged my own share in a briefcase and have sent it to the Red-Cross society, because there is no other way out to keep it with me here, so with the help of a German contact working with the UN here (his office enjoys some immunity) I was able to get the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot. He does not know the real contents of the package, as I have deposited the consignment as a family treasure. Your acceptance to this would encourage me to send further information for us to proceed.

Furthermore, If my offer is of no appeal to you, delete this message and forget I ever contacted you. Do not destroy my career because you do not approve of my proposal. I believe that such opportunities only come ones way once in a lifetime. I cannot let this chance pass me by. For once I find myself in total control of my destiny. This chance won’t pass me by. I ask that you do not destroy my chance, if you will not work with me let me know and let me move on with my life but do not destroy me. If you give me positive signals, I will give you the relevant details and initiate this process towards a conclusion. I send you this mail not without a measure of fear as to what the consequences, but I know within me that nothing ventured is nothing gained and that success and riches never come easy or on a platter of gold. Do not betray my confidence.

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.

Sgt. Lara Thomas Mark Jr.
    United States Army Afghanistan

14. Billie jo. says:

This is sad because ppl will believe due to American movies that there is some kind of gold etc

15. Denny. says:

HEY to you; Steph J.:
    October 5, 2016 at 10:41 am:

I got exactly the SAME email today, Oct 28th 2016….. this stuff, these emails; are so easily seen as scams i can’t even imagine the mind set of someone so desperate as to send them. They must be hoping that one out of every 100.000 thousand might get a response, and then 1 in a million actually goes far enough to maybe even work. the desperation of the scam senders must be tru;y pathetic indeed. here is what *I* got:

“Hello,

Let me start by introducing my self. My names are Sgt. Lara. Thomas. Mark. Jr, I am assigned to 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division[3]. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $10,500,000.00 (Ten Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

SOURCE OF MONEY:

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.
    Regards,
    Sgt. Lara. Thomas. Mark. Jr”

—it’s laughable really. we all look at these scams in our own ways. some are shocked, some insulted, myself, well, i laugh at the desperation to think a person is SO out of touch with reality that they think that DOING THIS has a chance of succeeding lol….

16. Steph J. says:

I know, how gullible do they think we are? If it Was money from legitimate business, A: It is taxable, B: You wouldn’t contact a stranger, C: The back story isn’t required D: Where would you find $10.5m USD in Iraq and E: How would you fit it in a suitcase….

I swear this people think we all live our lives fuelled by greed, Pah, more fool them that fall for it, good money comes through hard work, easy money costs… Simple..

Ohh and the closing comment of “please don’t destroy my career” laughable, $10.5m… I’d have retired

17. Mayra E. says:

THIS IS THE EMAIL I RECEIVED AS SCAM… THIS NEEDS TO STOP … HOW DISGRACEFUL TO OUR MILITARY

sgtlaramjr[at]hotmail.com}—it came from this email address

Let me start by introducing myself. My names are Sgt. Lara Thomas Mark Jr, I am assigned to 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division[3]. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $10,500,000.00 (Ten Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

SOURCE OF MONEY:

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.
    Respectfully,
    Sgt. Lara Thomas Mark Jr.
    United States Army Afghanistan

18. Kathy. says:

I just received the same one Mayra E. shared from Sgt. Lara Thomas Mark Jr.,United States Army Afghanistan. Ridiculous scam.

19. Steph J. says:

It’s such a shame that people stoop to such low levels, it not only fools those who may be greedy and gullible but also sheds a really bad light on military personnel, it’s almost as if they’d have us believe that serving members are basically mercenaries, only there to serve their own ends. I’m appalled at the audacity to be honest 😡

20. presh. says:

Received 2 days ago…smh

SOURCE OF MONEY:

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.
    Regards,
    Sgt. Lara. Thomas. Mark. Jr

21. Shan. says:

I had a friend who did this I think. Has it went has far as airport issues n actual phone calls n two days to come up with the money for checking or something like marine or something I can’t remember it all they said they were going to do for someone. Actual phone calls though

22. Lilia. says:

I received this yesterday:

On Dec 28, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Capt.Miller Richard Hall wrote:

Lilia My Good Friend,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in Advance!

I am Captain Miller Richard Hall the sender of the two Military boxes you are about to receive,i must apologize for the late response to you,you have to know that down here we have been having a very busy week with your volunteering work,but every thing is alright now and i want you to know that there would be no risk involved in this if you volunteer to help. There are things i must let you know about on this deal,bear in mind that I have already had every fee taken care of , all i need is your kind assistance and your full trust. Yes trust here is like a two edge sword, if i never persuaded myself to developed that little trusted for you, i would not have contacted you in the first place. For us to succeed,this deal has to be very confidential,as you can see, i contacted you with a private e-mail and not an official one, so our conversations would not be monitored or tapped into.

Am really so sorry i had to drop the e-mail to you in a hurry,before we proceed let me take a little time to explain the origin of these funds and why I’m sending them to you. I am with the 82nd Airborne Division, part of the troops still remaining in Afghanistan to complete the later part of the war plan against terror. However,my unit was deployed to Syria on a temporary mission from where I should be heading home by the month of January after a dedicated and selfless service to my country. Be rest assured that this is an opportunity that came for both of us to be comfortable in life. Please all I need from you, is to make sure that you adhere to my instructions. The funds in question was discovered by my unit during one of our numerous services rendered to some oil barons and oil companies over the years without the U.S Government’s knowledge,to protect their companies and oil wells against the terrorist groups. The notes are neatly packed in two military spec consignment boxes and right now i am seeking your help and partnership to keep the boxes safe till my return which would be by next month.

I have sacrificed years of my life to serving and protecting my great country, most of us have lost friends and loved ones in the line of duty for me i have been married twice of which none ever lasted for up to 3yrs due to the nature of my job. My 16yr old son turned to drugs as he lacked parental guidance and eventually died from overdose as a matter of fact i can’t begin to mention all my sacrifices and losses but know that the glory of America is built on our pain & blood this is why i decided to use this opportunity to make some fortune for myself.I and some of the few boys i selected from my group has bee rendering such services to this oil barons and oil companies for about 8yrs now.This deal has been on all this while and we get paid with oil which we sell in return for money,we’ve made a total some of 11million dollars and i as the leader of my group have decided to keep 5million to myself and share the remaining 6million among my boys who were involved in this deal.

This is my private email address so that no one will be able to trace anything. Please note that the usage of private phones here is out of bound to us out here because all international calls are monitored.But I will always work out ways to call you via public phones when necessary. Like I told you earlier I’m still on duty here in Syria after we moved from Afghanistan and if such amount of money is traced to my account in the united states, I shall be investigated. Hence i need you to assist me. It is $5million in total in the boxes, we would share it 80/20 percent, and you would help me invest in some profitable businesses like the real estate. This deal was not just planned in a day,this has to remain your top secret for now, I really need this deal to be accomplished because i know i owe my late colleagues families who were part of it a lot.

I know you might be wondering how i got your information for this,well i am a level six holder with full access to the Department Of Defense Database (DOD) data base, and I believe I can trust you, not just as an American,but because of the brotherly love we have for ourselves and with your desire to volunteer/render help when called upon. With that,i decided to ship these boxes to you via a secured delivery company,It is most important that you take this deal very seriously so that we do not get into trouble, i know that i may have crossed the line by shipping the boxes to you without your initial consent but the deed is already done,this happened due to the rush down here,as we have been deployed to Syria as we are needed to assist on the on going war against terrorism, with that i had to rush things up, and i was unable to let you know before now,please accept my apologies about that. The boxes were sent via a very secured Swift Military Courier as a special and secured immunity delivery to you, it was done this way so as to avoid hackers on line from tracking the boxes and sending them to the wrong person.I must assure you that you will benefit very well and you will never regret assisting me, but on the other hand you MUST be very careful never to expose this deal to any one otherwise we would both be in serious trouble.Even the Delivery man shouldn’t know the content of this boxes as he is not aware that the boxes contain raw cash, because i made it clear to them that you are my Cousin whom i am sending my personal military effects,so no one knows nothing about this. Apart from any carelessness from your side, i have already made solid plans to ensure that this deal is 100% untraceable. Your efforts and assistance will be rewarded with 20% of the money if you are able to handle and abide by the rules of this deal and keep the boxes safe until i return to the States. I already took care of all shipping expenses including insurance and delivery cost all you need to do is contact the Diplomat in Charge of the delivery of the boxes to you so that he can give you the details and the status of the boxes.

Please i got a confirmation that the boxes has arrived at the USA and is presently in the Fast Track & Logistics Delivery Hub which is the delivery company i registered the boxes for delivery to you, you will have to write Mr.Donald Baker(Diplomat/Delivery man) and let him know you are the legal beneficiary to the trunk boxes in case you are been contacted by a body by name or with the info below, do not hesitate to respond to him, and do as he instructs, he is in charge of the shipment.

Name: Donald Baker
    Email: [email address redacted]

Please try and be fast with whatever you are doing we don’t have all the time in the world.I Will be waiting to read from you once you have emailed the delivery man. You would have to contact the diplomat,and instruct them on how and when you want to receive the boxes, just be of good co-operation with him okay?

Like i stated earlier, trust here is like a two edge sword, it has to be both sided, with that, I need us to build up this deal in an atmosphere of trust between our selves, you do not know how much smile your response has brought to me today,i also want to assure you of one thing,you would never regret assisting me in this deal, i am a man of my words, and i love sticking to my words.

I know you might be wondering why i did not send to my family, well i need you to know that the only Family i have is my only daughter that is just 14years and my Mum whom is presently 85 and not strong enough.Most of my friends are all in the US army,and you know the confidentiality of this deal, so they must know nothing about the deal.I chose to do this with you because i feel you can be trusted,and you match the whole criteria i need in making this deal a success.

I need your full devotion to this deal,any information you want please let me know.for security reasons, i feel it would be best we take care of this via e-mails, because making calls might be risky as our conversation might be monitored or tapped into. Thanks

Please do keep me updated as soon as you have contacted the deliveryman.

Thanks for your cooperation.

God bless you and God bless America!!!
    Cpt.Miller Richard Hall
    U.S ARMY

23. Desi. says:

March 5, 2017, 11:01 PM

Thanks for your swift response to my mail. I apologize to encroach into your privacy in this manner, I got your contact from a directory on the Internet here in Afghanistan. I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business and i pray at this time that, your e-mail contact address is still valid. I know you don’t know me but i meant no harm sending you this note, just that I don’t have anyone out there to talk to, as I lost my parents in a car Accident, when I was 11 years old, I was raise up by my adopted parents, but they died years ago, the relatives of my adopted Parents throw me out of the house saying that I was not their real daughter. I know you can handle this money for me, on till I come over to meet with you, we can also build friendship with this transaction. I lived in Lake Jackson, Texas before joining the Force.

You may be wondering why I choose to trust a delicate matter like this in the care of a stranger, but this is the best I can do in my present situation and I would have trusted this kind of project in the hands of my Husband who was my closest confident, but I lost him to cancer on 22nd April, 2006 5 months after we got married, and my only brother has ruined his life with hard drugs, hence my decision to work with a neutral person if we can establish some trust between ourselves instead of confiding in my buddies back home so that this little secret can be preserved.

Let me start by introducing my self. My name is Sgt. Monica L. Brown, I am assigned to 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division[3]. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $10,500,000.00 (Ten Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

SOURCE OF MONEY:
    I and some other high ranking Officers made some deal in oil business over there in Afghanistan before my exit to Iraq. The deal worth $132 Million United States Dollars and after we have all share the money I later realize $10.5 Million US DOLLARS which is my personal share of the deal, due to my status as a US Sergeant, I can not be able to move this huge funds to my account in United States to avoid further interrogation or face any kind of probation by the U.S government and I packaged my own share in a briefcase and have sent it to the Red-Cross society, because there is no other way out to keep it with me here, so with the help of a German contact working with the UN here (his office enjoys some immunity) I was able to get the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot. He does not know the real content of the package, as I have deposited the consignment as a family treasure. Your acceptance to this would encourage me to send further information for us to proceed.

Furthermore, If my offer is of no appealing to you, delete this message and forget I ever contacted you. Do not destroy my career because you do not approve of my proposal. I believe that such opportunities only comes once in a lifetime. I cannot let this chance pass me by. For once I find myself in total control of my destiny. This chance won’t pass me by. I ask that you do not destroy my chance, if you will not work with me let me know and let me move on with my life but do not destroy me. If you give me positive signal, I will give you the relevant details and initiate this process towards a conclusion. I send you this mail without a measure of fear as to what the consequences, but I know within me that nothing ventured is nothing gained and that success and riches never come easy or on a platter of gold. Do not betray my confidence.

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.
    Regards,