Madison Rising

Navy Veteran, Dave Bray

During the long Labor Day weekend, my wife and I traveled to the Soldiers’ Angels Headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. We attended a Milblog conference where we had the opportunity to discuss many topics from the care of our Wounded Warriors to the opportunities for Veteran employment in this time of limited job availability. It was during this conference that we had the chance to meet Navy Veteran, and the lead singer of Madison Rising, Dave Bray.

Dave Bray of Madison Rising Packing Boxes for Soldiers' Angels

Dave is filling care-packages for deployed Servicemembers.

The son of a Sailor, Dave Bray was born in England outside of Menwith Hill Station. Soon thereafter, he and his family transferred to Ft. Meade, Maryland where the family took up homestead in Southern Pennsylvania. His father’s service to his country was a great example to both Dave and his brother.

Dave’s older brother was the first to enlist. He followed his brother as soon as he could – entering the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) at 17. Dave, always the achiever, he saw an opportunity to get ahead and referred three of his peers who also enlisted – earning him the pay-grade of E-3 before he even got on the bus to go to Recruit Training Command.

While in boot-camp, Dave was selected to the position of RCPO (Recruit Chief Petty Officer).

After boot-camp, Dave graduated from Naval Hospital Corps school, and became a Navy Corpsman. At his first duty station, the Charleston Naval Hospital, he served as an EMT/Crew Chief. Next, he attended Field Medical Service School where he earned and was awarded the coveted ‘Top Dog’ award. After graduation, he reported to Camp Lejeune and was assigned to 2nd battalion/ 2nd Marines (STA) Surveillance and Target Acquisition Platoon. Urban Sniper/ Reconnaissance and surveillance school, 18D live tissue training, and countless hours of field training ensued before ultimately being stationed with the 2/2 aboard the USS Guam (LPH-9).

As an HM-8404 (FMF) stationed aboard the Guam, he had the opportunity to serve in Africa where his unit provided perimeter security for the United States Embassy of Monrovia, Liberia during different stages of civil unrest within the country. They also provided safe transport and medical aid to countless refugees from the same area to different locations on the continent.

His desire to help others never left him. As I mentioned, I met him while he and his band were packing care packages for Soldiers’ Angels that are bound for Servicemembers who are deployed around the globe. In conversation he told me, “My family and I will forever be indebted to the Navy/Marine Corps Team for instilling many of the values and standards that I still hold onto today.”

An impressive man; a true American spirit.

Now, as I mentioned in the beginning, he is the lead singer of the band, Madison Rising. I predict this band will be famous, yea, world wide famous, they are that good. Here is Madison Rising’s rendition of the Star Spangled Banner; once you hear it, you will believe as I do. So turn it up, hit the play button, and be prepared to get blown away!

19 Responses to “Navy Veteran, Dave Bray”

1. Archie says:

Love your sound n good to see a fellow corpsman make his dream of music come true. Learned the guitar at Great Lakes n now my son is kickin it with a martin D-42 n anything he can get his hands on….hope to hear more of u guys…knew a PA stationed with Jim Croce in Phili…ex corpsman…got good company

2. JihadGene says:

I met a lot of great folks at the 2012 Milblog Family Reunion in San Antonio. Certainly, Dave is one of them as I was impressed, by him, right off the bat.

3. Nancy says:

I have already posted your rendition of the Star Spangled Banner on forums and emailed it to friends and relatives. Just now, I also sent it to my teenage grandchildren. I love it!

Dave Bray, thank you for your service from the daughter of a Navy carrier pilot during WWII. Thank you also for your patriotic music! I’ll be following your band’s progress.

4. Sherri says:

Thank you to the band Madison Rising for reminding us all to be proud of our country! As a band manager myself;I understand how important to have our fans to be united behind our music!
    It is indeed a privilege and an honour to support Madison Rising with their awesome redition of the “Star Spangled Banner”!! It is incredible as is their other songs,”Right to Bear” and “Walking Through That Door” and others on their debut cd! I am very proud and blessed to call these guys my new friends and brothers in music! May God Bless America and May God continue to bless Madison Rising!
    Sherri Ross-manager to Mortification and Wonrowe Vison and online Promoter to Rowe Productions and Ultimatum

5. Chris says:

I’ve been forwarding your music to everyone I know! Love the sound and the message. As a former Marine Infantry Sgt., and later a Navy SBU-22 member, I can really appreciate your service with STA platoon. Thank You for all that you do, keep it up. God Bless America, Semper Fi!!!

6. Bob says:

OUTSTANDING! From a fellow Corpsman.

7. Ruth Anne says:

Every time someone new sends this to me I listen, it is absolutely the greatest ever, and I can’t wait to hear more of ya’alls songs.
    Thank you for making this and giving everyone who hears it the joy of a young man like yourself and your band being so tuned in to what the American people need right now. And thank you for your service in the UNITED STATES MILITARY……………hugs to ya.

8. Ronald R Wallace says:

From a fellow Veteran of a foreign war; God Bless you and your band. I love what you did to our National Anthem.

9. Beulah Thornton says:

Gave me chills…absolutely wonderful!! What is the easiest way to forward this to my friends??

Beulah,

It is great, I too, love it!

You can copy and paste the URL into an email to them, or if they/you are on Facebook, hit the “like” button or the other social options listed or that you have.

11. Katy says:

I’m 60 years old. I usually hate it when performers alter the traditional National Anthem because they invariably manage to destroy it. I almost didn’t open this email for that reason. WOW! I LOVE THIS! I listen to it each morning with the sound cranked up! I ordered the CD and it should be here any day.

12. DebP says:

Thank you Dave and the rest of the band for the beautiful rendition of the Star Spangeled Banner, and for taking the time to learn all the words, to me that is as much of honoring our country and for all of those dedicated to protecting us as seeing our flag flying. Keep up the great music!

13. flyineagle says:

it is so great to see a band take our National Anthem and play it with such PASSION… that seems to be missing today more than anything. I am passing this on to as many people as I can…. thank you for this arrangement. It not only ROX but I think will open a way for many of our younger generation(s) to understand and appreciate what this song means and stands for. Bless Madison Rising!

14. Diana Lee Smith says:

Madison Rising is amazing! James Madison would be proud as would Francis Scott Key. MR’s version gives me chills when I listen which is almost every day. Love to them and God bless America and keep her a free republic!

15. Zills says:

Yo doc sat many a hour on post 7 alpha still in contact with jenary Palmer and several others from 2/2

16. Lisa says:

Powerful!! Love this!! Any news about awesome Navy Vets always makes me proud. I started as a Hospital Corpsman and retired as a Medical Planner. I always feel a chill when the National Anthem is played (I have to sing along). This version was so inspiring. I’m over 50 and can’t wait to get the CD and share with my children, niece, nephew and others. Thank you and God Bless your patriotic souls. Our country needs more voices.

Sincerely,
    Lisa
    LCDR, MSC, USN (RET)

17. Greg Grover says:

I absolutely love this rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner. Dave’s vocals are awesome and the band is over the top. Can’t get enough of this, coupled with video of veterans and military fanfare. Thanks for your service Dave from one vet to another. My family like yours goes back awhile in military history. God bless.

18. Bethany North says:

Love this band. Love!! this song. Play/post it every patriotic holiday. Wish there was more from them.

19. Bernadette Flores says:

I generally don’t care for non-traditional versions of SSB, but saw this in the closin credits of “America the Movie.”. LOVED LOVED LOVED it! The energy and passion are intoxicating!

Thank you Dave and Madidon Rising.