Help Make 2012 Even Better

FY-2011, A Record Setting Year

Navy Recruiting Global Force for GoodEach year, congress mandates the number of Sailors that are allowed to be serving in the Navy. In a nut shell, the changes in mission requirements, Fleet retention, and that mandated end-strength number for 2011 ultimately drove the number of billets available for Navy Recruiting Command to fill for each of the Navy’s ratings in the last fiscal year.

Navy Recruiting Command’s active duty accession mission for FY-2011 was 33,400.

For the first year in the history of Navy Recruiting Command while attaining it’s mission, the percentage enlisted in the upper-mental group category was an astounding 88.2% (50 to 99AFQT on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)); furthermore, 98.7% of those accessed were of Tier I education status.

During this period of a lofty unemployment rate and floundering economy, and with the benefits a more mature, intelligent force brings, I expect the Navy to continue the enlistment policies of 2011, such as an upper-mental group attainment of at least 70%, a 95% Tier I education attainment, and the moratorium on any Major Misconduct waivers, not to mention further restrictions that may be adopted at the local Navy Recruiting District level.

Our Sailors are doing an amazing job, but those policies, and the fact that Forty three percent of the projected fiscal year 2012 active duty accession requirement has yet to be filled, mostly in the challenging to fill fields of medical, nuclear engineering, and naval special warfare and special operations, will make for a challenging recruiting environment. Our Sailors tasked with finding the “best and brightest” need your help and support.

How can you help? You can help spread the word that the Navy is hiring! If you know anyone that meets the basic requirements for enlistment, point them in the direction of the local Navy Recruiting Station.

This post focuses on the enlisted active duty mission, but rest assured that Navy Recruiting Command’s mission does not stop there. Many opportunities are available Reserve affiliation and in programs that lead to a commission in the Navy Reserve and active duty. Statistical data mentioned in this post was obtained with appreciation from Navy Recruiting Command’s Public Affairs Office.

7 Responses to “FY-2011, A Record Setting Year”

1. Kris says:

This sounds great for the Navy! So there doesn’t seem to be an end to the moratorium in sight for Major Misconduct Waivers, which is unfortunate for someone like me. Either way, I believe in our Navy and our country.

2. Russ says:

My son has been waiting for almost 2 months to hear something on his request for a waiver. He is 18 now, and had a record at 16, which was expunged and sealed. One major misconduct and one misdemeanor. His recruiter suggested he not mention his record at MEPS, but my son told the truth. He’s also not made any mention of a moratorium.

The recruiter has not really kept in touch and told my son the other day they are, “Taking their sweet old time.” Any advice? Opinion?

Russ,

I would expect the reason he has not been able to continue processing is because of the Major Misconduct; I still have not heard of a person being able to get waiver consideration, and the latest I have been told is that the moratorium is still in place. The fact that a record has been expunged and “sealed”, when it comes to waivers for the military, is irrelevant – the details of the charge may not be readily available, but the fact that he was charged will in fact show up when the background check is completed – he is doing the right thing by ensuring his past is correctly documented.

If you feel that the recruiter is out of line, and based on your comment that he has told your son to withhold information, he has, then I suggest you contact his supervisor or make contact with CNRC via the info on this previous post —>> http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2012/01/10/recruit-with-integrity-card

4. Russ says:

Thanks for your reply. Is there a protocol that is followed notifying candidates their request has been turned down? My son’s documents are floating around somewhere (birth cert, diploma).

Russ,

For moral waivers, the only notification will come via the recruiter. As far as his documents are concerned, they should have already made a usable copies and given them back to your son.

6. Russ says:

Well we haven’t given up hope yet. The charge, verses what actually happened, are questionable and my hope (and my son’s) is that they are reviewing that and taking it into consideration. Thank you for this website, it’s the best resource I’ve found on the web. I will keep you posted.

7. Russ says:

I just wanted to circle back and provide an update. My son just heard from his recruiter today and he was denied. I have struggled with whether or not I should make contact with CNRC. Today, I obviously feel like a vidictive SOB. However, I am leaning towards complaining for this reason and this reason alone: My son has spent over half a year planning on joining the Navy and then sitting in limbo with his life all the while being upfront and honest with his recruiter from the start.