Navy has Enlistment Dependency Limits

Navy Dependency Waiver

If you are enlisting into the Navy with dependents (dependent definition) in an entry level paygrade (E-1 to E-4), historically some encounter family hardships due to financial situations soon after enlisting. Navy Recruiting Command wants to eliminate from consideration those who cannot balance the demands of family and service, or who would experience a financial hardship at the onset of naval service. You can use the chart below to determine your potential eligibility based on the current instructions.

FOR ACTIVE DUTY
3 = CNRC
4 or more = Ineligible
Married
(NPS and PS)
Spouse only Eligible No waiver required
Married
(NPS enlisting in paygrades E1 to E4 and PS enlisting in paygrades E1 to E4 with broken service)
Minor/non-minor dependents Eligible with appropriate level waiver 2 = NRD CO
3 or 4 = CNRC
5 or more = Ineligible
Married
(NPS enlisting in paygrades E5 and above and PS enlisting in paygrades E5 and above with broken service)
Minor/non-minor dependents Eligible with appropriate level waiver 2 or 3 = Eligible
4 = NRD CO
5 = CNRC
6 or more = Ineligible
Married
(PS enlisting under continuous service)
Minor/non-minor dependents Eligible No waiver required
NRD – Navy Recruiting District; CNRC – Commander, Navy Recruiting Command; PS – Prior Service; NPS – Non Prior Service

If one is required, the dependency waiver process starts with the Enlistee Financial Statement (Enlistee Financial Statement Form 1130/13). Incidentally, everyone enlisting with dependents will complete an Enlistee Financial Statement, even if a waiver is not required, and you will be interviewed by a Navy Recruiting Division Chief or person higher in the chain-of-command prior to enlistment processing.

The interviewer will:

1. Determine if you are handling present personal and financial affairs in a mature, competent, and responsible manner.
  2. Determine if you can meet current and expected financial obligations within the first six-months of naval service.
  3. Counsel you concerning potential problems that may be experienced at the onset of enlistment relating to financial matters and the assignment to possible dependent restricted tours.

NOTE: A prior bankruptcy is not by itself a disqualifier for enlistment eligibility; however, it may affect the job you are qualified for because of the various security clearance requirements.

During the interview, your Enlistee Financial Statement will be reviewed with you either face-to-face or telephonically. The interviewer and chain of command will become suspicious of entries that are missing or unrealistic. All questionable areas must be resolved.

You will not be enlisted if it appears they are unable to meet current and expected financial responsibilities within the first six-months of Naval Service.

Completing the Enlistee Financial Statement:
The Enlistee Financial Statement is for use by all applicants with dependents. Prior to preparation, you shall sign the Privacy Act Statement on the Enlistee Financial Statement. The financial statement will be prepared in your own handwriting.

No special criteria for the amount of monthly expenditures to be entered for housing, food, utilities, etc. can be established due to the variation in circumstances present in each individual case; however, for the benefit of those who must determine whether a dependency waiver is to be granted, questionable or unrealistic entries must be fully explained. An example of a questionable entry would be $100 per month for food when the applicant has three dependents. While use of food stamps could explain the low amount, this must be explained in detail and attached to the form.

A realistic breakdown of monthly expenditures for most families would include additional categories that are not indicated on the financial statement (e.g., clothing, automobile expenses that are not included in car payments [gas, oil, tires, tune-ups, insurance, etc.], entertainment, miscellaneous). Entry of these expenses are especially applicable when your income is reported at $500 or $600 per month or more, and monthly expenditures total $300 or $400 per month. The absence of these additional expenses is even more noticeable when little or no savings and/or checking account balances are indicated. In order for the total debt and total monthly payment data to have greater relevance for personnel reviewing the financial statement, each outstanding debt, and the monthly payment for each debt, must be indicated.

Signature of your spouse is mandatory, unless you are legally separated, spouse resides outside the geographical area or refuses to sign. If this is the case, note the reason in item 16 of the form.

Note: If you are in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) over 90 days or you acquire dependents while in DEP, you are required to complete an updated Enlistee Financial Statement prior to shipping to boot camp. Changes in dependency status must be reviewed, and if necessary, waived by the appropriate authority.

720 Responses to “Navy Dependency Waiver”

1. Sophie says:

Thank you very much for posting this information. I have one more question. I noticed a section in the enlistee financial statement that asked about dependents’ need for medical assistance. I have type 1 diabetes, will this hinder my husband’s chances of enlisting further?

2. NCCM(ret) says:

Sophie,

As long as your condition is controlled, you shouldn’t have too much problem.

3. Greg Showalter says:

My step son would like to join the Navy, but he has been told by the recruiter that he is too old,(He is 28.) and that he has too many dependents, ( He is married with three daughters). If I and my wife take custody of the kids until he reaches E-4 or E-5, will he then be allowed to join with one dependent (his wife)? I am retired from the USN as well and am aware of the burden the girls will place on us but it is worth it if this will light a fire under his butt and get him going in life. He is extremely intelligent and I think would make an excellent candidate for the nuclear program.

4. NCCM(ret) says:

Greg,

Sorry for the delayed response. The giving up of custody is not enough to reduce an applicants total number of dependents for waiver purposes. An actual adoption would have to take place. He is not too old to join active duty (before 35th birthday), but is too old for Nuke (before 26th birthday), and he should be able to receive waiver consideration (if considered best qualified) via CNRC for the 4 total dependents.

An edit as I can not count. Ooops.

5. Dale says:

Hello I have another question!!!

1.If I get married while in DEP will I have to get some sort of waiver?

2.What will happen If I have a child while unmarried in DEP and have joint custody?

3.Finally can a sailor with joint custody of a child add the child as a dependent?

If I get in I will probably be an E-3, sorry for the confusion but I am trying to plan a family while attempting to get into the Navy as I am trying to explore all available options.

6. NCCM(ret) says:

Dale,

The same rules and waiver matrix that apply to enlistment into the delayed entry program also apply to you when you are in the delayed entry program. So, the answers to your questions;

1. If your wife is your only dependent, then no waiver is required.

2. You must relinquish physical custody of the child by court order. Absent a court order, a child support order awarded by the state that the child resides in may be used.

3. Any and all of your children, whether they live with you or not, will be considered your dependent for the purpose of enlistment (including any children your spouse may have that reside with you).

7. Dale says:

OK so if I have a child after I successfully enlist, after a year of service, without being married, will they kick me out?

8. NCCM(ret) says:

Dale,

Before you can ship to boot-camp, all the regulations/policies must be settled. Once you have shipped to boot-camp, the enlistment eligibility requirements pertaining to dependency (except for the reclaiming of physical custody for a single parent) will not apply.

9. Thomas says:

Hello, me and my wife are considering divorce, I am currently on active duty after 2 years of service (E-4) and I have 1 child with her and another child by another women. Can I keep physical custody of my children and not loose rank? Can I also maintain my current BAH pay by having these kids as Dependants and no married spouse? Not sure if I am posting in the right place but i am desperate and would like a second opinion before me and my wife proceed.

10. NCCM(ret) says:

Dale (you used the same computer…),

Once your waiver is sent to CNRC it could take a couple of weeks to hear back – depends on the workload of the waiver section and the Commander’s and Deputy’s schedule. As far as you getting a divorce sometime after you enlist, you will not loose rank, although you can ultimately be discharged if you fail to get a child care certificate – a document that describes who will be taking care of the children if you deploy.

11. Thomas says:

Hello sir, no what happened is my brothers are using my computer to ask questions that they are to scared to ask their recruiter. My name is Thomas and I am an E-4 in the Navy I am encouraging my 2 brothers to join too under the buddy program due to both of them having problems finding jobs in this tough economy. Both of them have gotten into trouble and will probably need a CNRC waiver based on the information in your chart. As for me i have always stayed out of trouble. However now I am having spousal problems with my wife. Dale asked me about staring a family in the navy and having kids and we searched the web a stumbled upon this site. Sorry for any confusion from now on I will tell them to use their own computers at their homes!!! lol

However if me and my wife do divorce and I get a child care certificate as well as keep the children as Dependants will I still be able to maintain my current BAH allowance that I get for having my wife as a Dependant?

12. NCCM(ret) says:

Dale, Thomas, Terry, Whoever,

I really do not care what your name is, nor am I here to judge you – I want to make sure I deliver the most accurate information about enlisting in the Navy I can based on the information you, or anyone else, provides. Any married Third Class in the Navy should already have a pretty good idea about the question you posed, nor would one think he/she would lose rank because of a divorce, and finally, one would not say “hello, sir” to an NCCM – retired or not, but I will answer it just the same;

BAH is either with dependents or without dependents (unless you are married to another service member, but based on the information provided – that’s not the case), so if you maintain dependents, whether they live with you or not, you will receive BAH with dependents – if the dependents do not live with you, then expect a good chunk of the BAH to be sent to the dependents for their support – the amount to be determined by a civilian court during your custody hearings.

I hope this information helps.

13. shar says:

I have been getting the run around. My whole family is military and I was told by an OSO that I can go AD and get a dependent waiver since I am a single parent as long as I have a parenting plan and a General POA, which will not be a problem to obtain. But I am also getting told from recruiters that I can only go in as a Reservist unless I give my child up and then the first part of my tour I won’t be able to get him back or have him live with me. I read the chart above but I just want to know if I was able to go AD or not? I was a DEPer but since I had a child I got out and want to go back pursuing the USN.

14. NCCM(ret) says:

Shar,

Your Recruiters are correct. You cannot enlist on active duty as a single parent.

15. Michelle says:

My fiancé and I are considering getting married before I ship to bootcamp in June. I have discussed it with my recruiter and at first she said it was not a big deal; no affect on my job or ship date -even when I told her that he has 2 daughters which we do not have physical custody of. Then I get a phone call that I will have to get a cnrc waiver after we have the marriage certificate. She still says it won’t affect my job or ship date but I am scared that it will. What should I expect? Thank you :)

16. NCCM(ret) says:

Michelle,

The waiver, if approved, should be back in plenty of time for June – but, before you follow through on your current marriage plans, I highly recommend that you fill out the financial statement as if you were married and have it reviewed for discrepancies that may keep you from having a waiver approved. CNRC will grant a waiver because you meet the requirements and are considered a good risk, they DO NOT approve a waiver because you already have a job and a ship date.

17. susan says:

30 year old female ged but 72 college hours and 57 asvab wantin to join the navy I have three children but i married a gentleman whose xwife gave up their 3 children now i have 6 children is it totally impossible to join the navy now.

18. NCCM(ret) says:

Susan,

You would be considered to have 7 dependents – a waiver would not be considered.

19. susan says:

so not even for the reserves. Has the navy always been like that or could this change

20. NCCM(ret) says:

Susan,

Both the Reserve and active duty have the same married with dependents restriction of 5 or more being ineligible. It has been that way for many years, if a change does occur in the future, I think it will be a change that makes it even more restrictive.

21. Kim says:

Hello I read all the comments but still getting different answers about this Dependency waiver. I’m married with two children, took the ASVAB and physical. Now Its been two weeks waiting on a waiver to pick a job and ship date. What’s the longest it can take? Why would it be denied? and would a recruiter actually lie to you and say they dont have it because of quotas? Im just sick of the run around of not knowing what’s going on so I can plan on being in the Navy Reserves or not! Thanks in advance.

22. NCCM(ret) says:

Kim,

Waivers that go to CNRC for approval take time for the following reasons – first, before your waiver can leave the local command and head to Millington, TN, your medical labs must be returned to the MEPS – this can take anywhere from 3-4 work days – your package has to be re-looked for accuracy and the local command has to write a letter of recommendation based on the interview and supporting documentation. Once the package leaves the local command and makes it to CNRC, the CNRC waiver folks will log it in, and again re-look the package to ensure nothing is missing. Now, the package is at the mercy of the schedules of those who can approve the waiver at CNRC – from the Operations Department Head to the Admiral (depending on the waiver and if the authority can be delegated).

Two – three weeks is about average, but again, could go as much as a month.

23. Ieisha says:

I have a question. I recently joined the marines but was discharged because of a dependent waiver gone wrong. I have one son and have joint custody of him with my mom, would that make me ineligible to join? and if not would i have to move out to join? The marines told me the reason i was discharged was because my mother and i share joint custody and i was staying in the same house as her and my child.

24. NCCM(ret) says:

Ieisha,

The fact that you are a single parent and have joint custody – that makes you not eligible for active duty, it doesn’t matter where you live. You are eligible for the Reserve.

25. Will says:

I’m a Father of two, recently separated from the mother. She has custody of both children. I’ve been wanting to enlist for 4-5 years now, and watched friends without children go around me. My question is this – over everything I want to make sure my children are taken care of- how much money will my ex get to take care of my children and how much will I receive to live off of every month enlisting, and does testing extremely high on the asvab give me the posibility of regaing custody of my children, if not after how many years can I? Sorry for the format.

26. NCCM(ret) says:

Will,

Before you can join, you need to have court ordered child support already in place, and you can not seek custody of your children during your first enlistment. I suggest you sit down with a recruiter and complete your financial statement, and have him/her review your current custody documents to ensure they are sufficient.

You ASVAB score has absolutely no bearing on regaining the custody of your children.

27. Betsy says:

My boyfriend wants to joing the Navy I have a child of my own and we also have a child together we are planing to get married should we get married before he starts the elistment process or after? If we get married before how long would a waiver take to process?

28. NCCM(ret) says:

Betsy,

Joining the Navy prior to getting married would require that he have court documents that define the child’s support, custody and a detailed financial statement – getting married after you get married, while it does require a CNRC dependency waiver, he will still be required to supply the detailed financial statement. I am of the opinion that if you plan on getting married, then get married and go through the waiver process – if you get approved, great! If you do not get approved, then it more than likely was better not to put you in the circumstance to worry about your finances, and perhaps become a burden on the command where you are stationed. In other words, don’t game the system because it is in place for a very valid reason.

29. Shawn says:

Iam married and my son is 17 years old now but will be 18 years old before I ship to basic do I still need a waiver to enlist? It just seems like a waste of time to do all the paper work when Im not even leaving until after he is of legal age. I want to enlist this week but cant leave until after mid August his birthday is in July.

30. NCCM(ret) says:

Shawn,

If you do join before he is 18, you will require the waiver, but you only have 2 dependents so it is only a CO NRD waiver – the paperwork you have to provide is the same if you joined with just a spouse.

31. Shawn says:

Oh so its that financial sheet? Also is the CO NRD are they somewhere else or is it the recruiter? So will I do this paperwork before MEPS? Sorry IM just really excited. Also if I go active how long does it typically take before an enlistee can go back to college?

32. Shawn says:

Oh and thank you so much for answering!

33. NCCM(ret) says:

Shawn,

Aye, all the paperwork will have to be completed before you go to the MEPS – if you have not yet seen a recruiter, I suggest you do that at your earliest convenience if for anything else, to get the specific answers to your questions, and the hundred others your will have :), and to also ensure you meet all the other qualifications for enlistment beyond dependency.

34. Rod says:

I’m married with 3 children and planning on going Active Duty. I know I’m going to need a waiver due to 4 dependents. Will it be difficult obtaining one since the Navy is pretty much overmanned now OR should I wait until October when the new FY starts and maybe have a better chance?

35. NCCM(ret) says:

Rod,

The Navy is already recruiting into FY-12 seats. Your chances for a waiver would be more predicated on your financial status than seat availability.

36. shar says:

I am considering getting married to an AD service member and still want to enlist as AD in the USN as well. What is the special waiver that I keep seeing I will need? I have a child from a previous relationship. Would I be disqualified ?

37. Christina Renee says:

My boyfriend and I have a child together, and he wants to enlist in the Navy. He is on the birth certificate, and we are living together with our child. However, we are not married and are not going to get married. Does he have to give up legal custody of our daughter, and if so, what does that process entail? The recruiter cannot give him any information regarding this subject, but can any of you please share what you know on this matter? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

38. NCCM(ret) says:

Christina,

Active Component single applicants, (male and female), who have dependents must have relinquished physical custody of dependents by court order. Absent a court order, a child support order awarded by the state that the child resides in may be used to determine eligibility for enlistment. The court order or child support order (with appropriate official signature) is required prior to processing for enlistment. http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2009/01/24/navy-dependent-definition

39. Justin says:

i recently got married while in DEP, i gave all the needed paper work to my recruiter to process to change my dependency from single to married, i went to meps with him and ended leaving there with nothing accomplished, now hes telling me i have to bring all my paper work to boot camp for them to process because he cant do it. whats going to happen when i show up to boot and there is a change in my dependency and they have no records of it?

40. NCCM(ret) says:

Justin,

As long as you filled out your financial statement and turned in a copy of the marriage license – and it is just you and your wife – besides turning in the paperwork – there is nothing else to do. That said, on the day you go to boot-camp, make sure that your dependency status is correct. MEPS will ask you to confirm everything again that morning, so have copies of the required paperwork just in case, but you shouldn’t have any problems.

41. Melissa says:

Good Morning,

Several months ago I attempted to join active duty. Here’s my story: I sponsored my husband from abroad and he now here in the us; I have 3 children with 3 different men and my last one if for my husband; I have a court ordered child support for my 1st two children; my mother is power of attorney; and I scored 51. The 1st time I went in the office they said wait till he gets into the country. The 2nd time they said ” your mom needs to be POA”. The 3rd time they said ” Score higher on the ASVAB” and the 4th time, ” You have too many dependants, you will never be able to go active nor reserve”… I was discouraged… but after a year.. The light turned back on and i’m back in school working on my bach and hope to start my masters in a few years. Before i’m finished, i might attempt to try the navy again.. and maybe try to go for a E5 or above…. What do you think about my story?

42. Kris says:

My spouse is AD in the US Army, and together we have 5 kids. Is it unreasonable to think that I could enlist in the Navy as a dual-military family (we waivered into the US Army and since have added a child to our family while on an overseas tour).

43. NCCM(ret) says:

Because your husband is on active duty, he will be documented on your enlistment forms as a dependent, but he don’t count as a dependent for waiver purposes – but because you have dependent 5 children, you would not be eligible for a waiver.

44. Jonathan says:

Hello, I have been reading the previous posts and this is all very informative. I have a question of my own. I am about sign a contract with the Navy and be placed into the DEP program. I am currently married with 1 child and one on the way. Since my wife is pregnant when I will be signing my contract, will this adversely affect my chances of shipping out. I’ve told my recruiter numerous times, however he says to not worry about it, because there is no SSN to document the child. Shouldn’t the Navy consider 3 dependents vs 2 even if the child is not born yet?

45. NCCM(ret) says:

Jonathan,

Yes, you must list your unborn child. Tell your Recruiter to read COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8J – VOLUME II, Chapter 2, Section 5, Page 3.

It states;

Unborn child(ren) of applicants that self-admit to being the father of an unborn child(ren) or for whom a positive legal/medical paternity determination has been made are considered to be dependent(s) for enlistment and affiliation purposes.

46. Jaime says:

I am unmarried, my girlfriend and I have a four year old son. I really want to join the Navy.

From the looks of it, do I have to give up sole physical custody? I really don’t want to do this, in case anything happens to my relationship while I’m gone. Can I file for joint, and have my parents act on my behalf while I’m gone? As I said, I would really like to join, I’m only 22 and feel the Navy is a great opportunity, but I would like to explore every avenue possible before I decide to give up all my custody. :/

47. NCCM(ret) says:

Jamie,

You cannot have custody of a child as a single parent when you enlist on to active duty.

There is more information if you use the dependent definition link in the post.

48. Red says:

Hi i am married and had 1 child from previous relationship (child is living in the Philippines with my pArents and in the process of bringing him here in US by 2012) recruiter told me that makes 2 dependent and still qualify me for enlisting….i Am about go and take the asvab and meps. If i pass all the requirements and put into DEP before bootcamp…And let say my wife got pregnant before me shipping out…would I be Disqualifed from NAVY or would they give waiver for having 3 dependent (wife, child and unborn) Whats their policy for this? Recruiter said i might be DQ if this happen.

49. NCCM(ret) says:

Red,

Any change in your status prior to going to boot-camp while in the DEP requires the same eligibility requirements and procedures as someone that is processing to join the DEP.

With 2 dependents, your wife and child, you will require a waiver for enlistment – the level of the waiver is the commanding officer of the local district. If your wife becomes pregnant after that waiver, you are adding another dependent, with three dependents, you would then require a waiver from the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command – a more difficult waiver to gain approval. Follow your recruiters advice and do not get pregnant before you ship to boot-camp. As a matter of fact, I suggest you don’t produce another child until you are settled into your new profession.

50. Joseph Braun says:

This is the most informative information I have found in the last three weeks of attempting to talk to recruiters. Here is my issue. I have wanted to join the Navy for years…recruiter messed it up the first time when I was 17 and single (long story, not worth the effort here). Now I am married…I have 2 children biologically who do NOT live with me and I am currently paying child support (yes, a court order is in place). My wife has 3 children, only ONE of which we have custody. The other two, by court order, live with their grandparents. As far as I can tell, the Navy regs talk about stepchildren that live with the applicant (me) and natural children OF THE APPLICANT no matter where they live. Is this correct? Do I have 4 dependents or 6?

51. NCCM(ret) says:

Joseph,

Four if the court order for the step children to live with the grandparents was followed up by the grandparents adopting, therefore gaining full control, care and permanent custody; otherwise, it is six.

52. Joseph Braun says:

OK, silly question. What if I were divorced, and then got married after basic training? Is it an instant thing…once I have 6 dependents am I discharged, or is the limit only for enrollment? From what I understand, I would still get BAH and such since I have the 2 dependents anyway.

53. Desiree says:

My son is currently DEP and departs in November. His girlfriend just told him she was pregnant. She is due when he is in bootcamp. He is not 100% sure its his, but acknowledges that it is most likey his child. They do not plan to marry at this time. He does plan to provide financial support if he is the father. Will this affect his enlistment or deployment date? What is he required to do?

54. NCCM(ret) says:

Desiree,

He must advise his recruiter to have the unborn child listed in his application. He will require a dependency waiver before he can leave for boot-camp.

55. Boy Bawang says:

Hi i hope you can answer my question in regards of joining the Navy while in process of filing Chapter 7 or Bankruptcy. I talked to my recruiter and he said Navy would still enlist people who filed bankruptcy but will likely get hard time getting security clearance…i am okay with jobs w/o clearance anyway. My question is after i file Bankruptcy would they still processed me in MEPS while waiting for my court order to be discharged on my debts or let say after i get processed in MEPS then i file my bankruptcy while waiting for bootcamp? (am i allowed to do that?) Theres no way i can avoid filing bankruptcy and i really want to join the navy as soon as possible. Thanks

56. NCCM(ret) says:

Boy Bawang,

If you have/intend to file, I suggest you do so before you process at MEPS for a couple of reasons. First, if you need a dependency waiver, you more than likely will not qualify because your debt to income ratio will more than likely be disqualifying. Second, the Navy should be able to make a decision based on who, and in what circumstance, a person is that they will be sending to boot-camp. Changing your status while in DEP, especially when you know before you contract that it will, isn’t a good thing, at all.

Once you file, you will be set up with a court date, you will have to attend that day in court – once you do, you should get a document saying you no longer have to attend and you then should be able to process (Navy Recruiting Legal MUST review the documents and grant approval to process first). I guess that is the third reason to get it done before you join, you don’t know how long it will take to get a court date – if you join and the court date and legal’s approval comes after your ship date, you will be discharged – you don’t want that.

57. Boy Bawang says:

Wow thanks for that quick reply…this site comes in handy. I am in a Dillema to file or not to file…I have a choice of just holding on not to file until i finish DEP up to bootcamp (most likely 6 Months) but then again my wife will definitely file Bankruptcy and on that she will include the car (where i am co signer on loan) means i will be affected as well…we really having financial trouble and cant afford any more payments…Now from what you suggest it is a definite to get out of my debts (after get discharged from bankruptcy) then get processed in MEPS…well that will put me in a situation to wait couple of 5-6 MOnths to get discharged from bankruptcy…..and …then another 6 months before bootcamp…Thank you very much you been helpful.

58. NCCM(ret) says:

Boy Bawang,

When you are joining the Navy, both you and your wife’s finances are considered. You must get your debt to income ratio down to a manageable level as a family.

59. Miss Blue says:

Good Morning,

I am 9 months pregnant and due any day now. My (unborn) daughters father left for boot camp the first week in July. I took him to his recruiter numerous times during the enlisting process. The recruiter was aware that i was pregnant, but the last time we went to finalize the paperwork he only asked for his other daughter (from a previous relationship) information to be listed. What steps should i take to make sure my daughter is listed? And also since he is in boot camp he will not be here to sign the Birth Certificate so how would i go about getting that completed? Now he will have a total of 2 children, never married, will he be discharged because he didnt list her or for the amount children he has now? Im just really confused and Im unsure of why this was not taken care of before he was shipped out.

60. NCCM(ret) says:

Miss Blue,

After the child is born, ensure he is listed as the father on the birth certificate – I doesn’t have to be there for that – many children are born when their fathers are out of the country, even. Then mail a copy of the birth certificate to him so he can update his page two (dependents) and have the child added into the DEERS system so the benefits can start.

Whether he will be discharged or not, I don’t know – there is a chance if he in fact fraudulently enlisted.

61. Miss Blue says:

I do apologize but i just want to make sure i am clear. I live in the state of MD. So i am able to sign his name on the birth certificate?

Again thank you! This information is very helpful.

62. Tori says:

Hi…just asked a recruiter about joining the navy. im married, 30yrs old with 3 children. thy said i would be denied due to too many dependents but your chart says no more than 4. can u clarify this for me? thank you.

-Tori

63. NCCM(ret) says:

Tori,

I can only assume that their local policy is not to pursue waivers that must go to the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command.

What is written here is what the instruction dictates as a guide, but keep in mind, ALL recruiters and local commands can impose tougher guidelines than the instructions mandate.

64. Tori says:

It’s ashame that they would do that for honest americans trying to serve our country. thank you for your help.

65. Jack says:

I have a question. I just recently swore into the Navy Reserve with 2 dependants. I am currently in the DEP until shipping out. Just found out that my girlfriend is pregnant and was hiding it for sometime. Will this disqualify me now from going to Boot camp? Any information and advice would be appreciated

66. NCCM(ret) says:

Jack,

You require a new waiver that considers your unborn child.

67. Kimber says:

Hello- my fiance is thinking about joining the Navy. We want to get married before he leaves for bootcamp. I have horrible credit and a ton of student loans, will this stop him from joining?

68. NCCM(ret) says:

Kimber,

I suggest that you go to a local recruiting station and fill out the financial statement as if you were already married, he can make a judgement based on the debt to income ratio and give you a better answer using the hard data.

69. Oscar says:

Hello

I had a question. Im 24 and married with 2 kids. Am I still eligible for enlistment into AD?

70. NCCM(ret) says:

Oscar,

As the chart in the post states, per instruction, you would be eligible with a CNRC waiver.

71. Jack says:

Me again. So a new waiver is required, but doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be approved, right? Would I also have to have a court order giving up custody when I report to boot camp if the waiver is approved?

72. NCCM(ret) says:

Jack,

You will not need court documents for an unborn child – the court won’t give you any until the child is born, but you can proceed with the waiver, and yes, the waiver can be disapproved.

73. carmen says:

I am a married mother of two children. I am wanting to enlist in the navy but my husband is not supporting me. He says I can go but he refuses to give me his birth certificate and S.S. Card to give to my recruiter. I know I will require a waiver. We are considering becoming legally separated, how will this effect my waiver? will i still need his info if we get a legal separation. Also if i enlist im willing to sign over custody. And are waivers for 3 dependents approved often, and what are the determining factors.

74. NCCM(ret) says:

Carmen,

Even if you debt to income ratio is within the limits expected by the waiver authority, I think you would have a hard time getting a waiver approved because of the potential for custody issues you may experience during your first tour. Get things settled in your family, not because you want to join the Navy, but because it is the right thing to do for your family, then when things are stable, no matter what the outcome, see if the Navy could be in your future – either active duty or Reserve.

Your husband, technically does not have to sign – If your husband refuses to sign, just note the reason in item 16 of the financial statement.

75. Joe says:

Waiver Approval Length:

Hi, My recruiter has never done a waiver before and I am his 1st (due to my wife and 2 daughters) It has been 9 WEEKS so far and the recruiter calls weekly to check on the waiver and tells me that he gets told it hasn’t been reviewed Yet.
    My question to you-is there at least an estimate in your experience to how long it takes to get an answer? I have no idea if i’m looking at a 6 month wait or a 1 year wait or maybe it’s likely that by next month i’ll have an answer but i’m just completely in the dark (not anyones fault just due to it being his 1st waiver) Even any round about time frame as to how long it takes for the average waiver to be reviewed by the CNRC would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your Help

76. NCCM(ret) says:

Joe,

Nine weeks is too long. Your recruiter needs to contact the local district’s waiver petty officer to have him/her track down who’s desk the paperwork is sitting on.

77. Joe says:

Waiver Approval Length:

Hi, in 2 days it will be 10 Weeks that i’m waiting to hear if my waiver was approved so I took your advice and had a Petty Officer check on it today. She was actually there at meps and she told me the computer says my waiver status is pending. I was told this means it’s not lost just still waiting to be processed. In your opinion, do you think that sounds correct or should I actually have them find my paperwork. I just don’t want to keep bothering them and hurt my chances of it being approved.

Thanks Again

78. NCCM(ret) says:

Joe,

Whereas it is a good thing that the system shows your record in process, 10 weeks of waiting for an answer is excessive. The only thing I can think of as to why it is taking so long is that the current Commander, Navy Recruiting Command will be turning over to the new Commander on the August 25th, and because the current Commander was essentially interim, I assume she didn’t want to have waivers process. More than likely I am mistaken, but it is the only reason I can think of for such a delay. All I can say is, hang in there, and keep your recruiter on his toes by continuing to follow-up with him.

79. Matthew says:

Sir

I have a wife and three kids. I been reading and have seen a mixed
    bad and Q&A along the same line I have. However I will ask and see and make sure I have the answer I need. I’m 28 Y/O I would like to join the Navy doing the Law enforcement or Fire Protection or something emergency service being that what I been doing in the civil side for 6 years now and will that help me if I was to enlist? . How ever like I said I have a wife and three kids. I was told there should be no problem geting a waver. Now I have seen things about giveing kids up to famley and so on. This is some thing I’m not sure I understand why this would have to happen with a waver or dose it? This is some thing I would not be keen with and would likely stop me from joining. My dad was a MP in the USMC and I was the oldest of 3. So hope maybe you can clear some thing up for me. My dad is not a happy camper after I told him I talked to a Navy recuter.
    Matthew Harper

80. NCCM(ret) says:

Matthew,

With 4 dependents, you will require a waiver from Commander, Navy Recruiting Command. Before your waiver will proceed, your family’s finances will be scrutinized by the recruiter and the local command to ensure you have a debt to income ratio that would have a chance of approval by the Admiral. I suggest printing out the financial statement and fill it out, then bring it to the recruiter for review. Some of the earnings information the recruiter will have to supply, but make sure you have all your bills listed and any income your spouse may have.

The job selection you will have is based on your ASVAB scores, physical result (hearing, colorblindness, etc.), and your moral/criminal background (if any). The number of dependents you have is not a consideration for programs, but your financial status can be (high level security clearances).

81. Matthew says:

So after I get this 70 lbs of extra weight is gone. Then I can print out the financial statement and fill it out. Or is this some thing I can now so I can see if I’m not wasteing the Navy’s time and my time.
    I mean I have some old school lones but no house, car payment ECT.
    some bad debt but not alot.

82. Matthew says:

Oh and retake the asvab. I can even recall what I made back in high school. That would I need to make in the ASVAB for Fire Protrction/ emergency service Or law enforcement for Navy?

83. Adam says:

My ship date is September 13, 2011…I just was served a court date for December 5, 2011. It is for child support that I filed on myself. Would I still be able to leave on my ship date and return for my court date?

84. NCCM(ret) says:

Adam,

Navy Recruiting Legal would have to review the case and make the determination. If your presents is required, your ship date will have to change. Notify your recruiter, ASAP.

85. NCCM(ret) says:

Matthew,

The ASVAB is good for two years, and it is required for all jobs in the Navy.

86. Matthew says:

Sir I took my ASVAB is 2002. However what scores would I need
    IE for Fire Fightering, Law Enforcement. And also I can print out the financial statement and fill it out. Or is y some thing I can do now so I can see if I’m not wasteing the Navy’s time and my time.
    I mean I have some old school lones but no house, car payment ECT.
    some bad debt but not alot. Or is this a process that I would have to hold off on untill I lose 70 lbs then start that process
    Matthew Harper

87. NCCM(ret) says:

Matthew,

Yes, I’d fill it out and take it to a recruiter now. That way you have a good idea of where you stand.

For the ASVAB scores required for the various Navy Ratings, follow the ASVAB link in the sidebar – The description of each job is in the Navy Jobs section of the site.

88. Heather B. says:

Hi, I am married to someone who is active duty Air Force, and we have two children. We’ve been having some problems and currently live separately. I have the children, and it is a constant struggle trying to provide for them. I live on a budget and generally manage to pay for food, utilities, etc., but I have debts that there is no extra money for paying. I want to join the Navy, because I believe I can provide a much better life for them—and meet my financial obligations—if I do so. I have accounts that are in collections that I cannot pay on; it’s not that I don’t want to pay, but that there is just never enough money to live on. Will this prevent me from joining the Navy, if I can show that I can and will be able to make my payments once enlisted? I know I’ll need a waiver to be AD with my husband, but setting up a family care plan is not a problem.

89. April says:

I have a couple of questions! I have read all of the previous answers and I am still confused. My husband is 30 years old and wanting to enlist in the navy. He scored a 76 on the ASVAB a few years ago, and he has an associates degree in Social Sciences. He has always wanted to join the Navy, but he let his father talk him out of it because of some health issues (with his father). Three years ago we decided that we could not live our lives based on his fathers health and we should just go for it. I was pregnant with our second child. His vision is bad, his re-frag rate was a 13 so his waiver was not approved, I do not know if they even got to the point of considering the dependency waiver. He still has not been able to let go of the desire to serve and join the Navy. We decided to pay out of our own pockets for LASIK surgery. The ophthalmologists believes he’s is a good candidate and that he will be able to adjust his re-frag rate to a 2 or 3. The recruiter we spoke with says to go through with the surgery and apply again. Since we are funding this ourselves and money is a little tight, I would love an honest answer as to his chances of getting the waivers approved.Our last recruiter would not even answer his phone calls to find out if the waiver was approved, we had to have another recruiter give us the information! BTW I am a working nurse so we have another stable income, but we had a bankruptcy 5 years ago, and a few blemishes in the last few years while I attended nursing school. By the time he enlists the only thing we will owe is one car payment for $350.00 a month, and about $40,000 in student loans that are in deferment while I complete my bachelors in nursing, and he completes his bachelors.I am sorry that this post is so long but I wanted you to have all of the info!

90. NCCM(ret) says:

Heather,

The fact that you have bills that you cannot afford to pay is an indication that your debt to income ratio will more than likely be beyond that which would receive a positive waiver outcome – I suggest you go to the recruiting station and with the recruiter’s help, fill out the form and get a real answer.

91. NCCM(ret) says:

April,

A pre-surgery refractive error of greater than -10 will not receive a positive waiver recommendation, even if post surgery the refractive error is within standards. As for why, to quote NavyDoc, it is because as the refractive error gets higher, the retina becomes more susceptible to lattice degeration, and surgery to correct vision does not change that underlying problem.

92. April says:

When he went to have the pre-op visit a few weeks ago they told him to wear his glasses for a few weeks before the appointment. They did the test and they told him his re-frag was 10. When he went to Meps (three years ago) they said it was 13. When he went to meps, he was wearing contacts 24-7 for months at a time. Now he wears glasses full time. The ophthalmologists said the irritation to his eyes could have caused the different results. My next question is which result will they go by? (I swear that is what really happened, if we had known the contacts could effect that he would have stopped wearing them a long time ago!)
    Thanks again!

93. NCCM(ret) says:

April,

I am sure all the records will be considered and a judgement made. If he proceeds with the surgery, I hope he is doing it for better vision and not with a belief he will be getting into the Navy, the chances will be slim with the >=10 pre-surgery refractive error.

94. Shaunie says:

I have a friend who enlisted in the Navy. She and her husband were going thru a divorce, and she did not list their child on her page 2 when she signed up because she could not obtain the social security card for her child. She is now in A school, divorced, and her ex has full custody of their child. Is their a way she could add their child to her page 2 without getting in trouble?

95. NCCM(ret) says:

Shaunie,

Where it would be up to her current command, I would suspect that there will be consequences for fraudulently enlisting.

96. Leila says:

Hello Master Chief! I have been on the TDRL and was recently found fit for duty. I would like to reenlist but I an unsure if I will be able to as my dependency status has changed. I recently had a baby. I am married and my husband is FTS. We now have four children. I read above that an active duty spouse would not be considered a dependent for waiver purposes. Is this also true for FTS? Thank you for any advice that you can give.

97. NCCM(ret) says:

Leila,

FTS would count as FTS are full time Sailors.

98. A. Taylor says:

Hello, I just visited a recruiter today and he told me I had to get a waiver. I am married and have two children. He made it seem very easy to get a waiver, but all the comments I see on here are very discouraging. He made a metal pin in my pinky seem like a bigger deal than my 3 dependents! So my question is I’m sure to him all of my documents look good to him. But will my husbands criminal history have an impact on me enlisting? He was arrested for drugs before we were married and has a few domestic violence charges.

99. NCCM(ret) says:

A. Taylor,

If your debt to income ratio is good, and you are otherwise qualified, you should be fine. BTW, a pin in your pinky finger shouldn’t be a big deal.

100. Brian says:

My sister in law went through a rough time last year and asked if me and my wife would keep her 2 children while she gets her life straight. We ultimately agreed and we kept the children for nearly 8 months and also since we had them for over 6 months we had to claim them on our taxes as dependents. My question is will this come into play while filing for enlistment? We no longer keep her children but have one of our own and also I have 2 from a previous relationship. The 2 from the previous relationship in which I was unmarried..I have a court order for child support and in the order it states I am not the custodial parent. So ultimately my question is will I show as having just 2 dependents (my wife and son), 4 dependents (wife, son, and 2 sons from previous relationship), or 6 dependents (wife, son, 2 sons from past relationship, and sister-in-laws 2 children)? Will claiming my sister in laws children for tax purposes affect my enlistment what so ever?

101. amber says:

hi
    My husband is trying to join the navy to make a better life for us and our 2 young boys. He was told he would need to sign a waiver for us…We live with his parents who pay most of everything(rent and bills).I was wondering how this would be taken in to consideration or if it would be? He join so we will have money in the bank and we will be taken care of!! Please let me know how this works for us. Thanks so much

102. NCCM(ret) says:

Amber,

The bills that are in ya’ll’s name are your obligations, and during the waiver process, they will be figured into your debt to income ratio. Remember, when figuring your income for the ratio, his projected military pay will be included in the math.

103. Tab says:

I am thinking about joining the reserve. I have two kids but one currently does not live with me. Will I have to complete a waiver or give someone temporary custody of my kids.

104. NCCM(ret) says:

Tab,

To enter the Reserve with 2 dependent children as a single parent (two total dependents), you should not have to give up custody, but you will require a NRD Commanding Officer dependency waiver.

105. BKS says:

Should I wait until October to try to join, because that starts the new Fiscal Year? Or should I go ahead and get started now? I talked to a recruiter back in August and was told right now they are only filling reserves but that can change on a month to month basis. Also that once the new fiscal year starts and new funding is available more active duty enlistments will be considered even those needing waivers.

106. Jordan says:

Hi, I am married and my third child is due in January. My first child is not with my current wife and I have custody. Am I disqualified from enlisting because of dependants? If I enlisted and I got transfered and my ex tried to get custody is their llegal help available?

107. NCCM(ret) says:

Jordan,

With 4 dependents, you will require a waiver from the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command in order to enlist. You debt to income ratio will be scrutinized. You will not get legal help to settle custody issues from any branch of the military.

108. Terrance Lott says:

Hello, I am 26yrs and I want to join the Navy. I am married and have a daughter. I want to know what to expect as far as when I can have my family join me. I know I have to attend bootcamp and A-school, so I just need to know what the process is so that I can plan ahead and be prepared. Thank you

109. NCCM(ret) says:

Terrance,

Toward the end of your A school, you will get a set of orders to your next command – in those orders will be accounting data for your family along with information about how to contact your command – you should then be assigned a sponsor who will help you get acquainted with your new assignment – point you in the right direction for housing, etc. It will be both a stressful and exciting time – doing the proper homework, making the connection with your sponsor, and keeping your wife fully informed during the process will go a long way in reducing the stressful part.

110. Helen says:

Hello, I’m a 29 year old female looking to join the Navy. I’m married with 3 children. When i spoke to a recruiter they told me i didn’t qualify based off the number of dependents I have and that they are no longer doing doing waivers because of the state of the economy. I read in one of your post that you can get a waiver with 4 dependents as long as you can show proof that you are financially stable. My husband is a Sgt in the Marines and has been in about 12 years now. We receive all the benefits thru him being in the Marines. His basic pay is about $2900 and we also reciceive BAH which is about $1860 a month. Do you think this would qualify me to obtain a waiver? Your advice is much appreciated thank you!