Navy Chief Petty Officer Results

Navy Chief Results

Navy Chief Petty Officer Anchor

Navy Chief Petty Officer Anchor

Until I am too old to post them, the United States Navy Master Chief, Senior Chief and Chief Petty Officer results (actual selection, not the board eligible list) will be posted here, each year, when they become available. For FY2012, the first time in at least 12 years, the active duty CPO results were released on a Monday.

Previous release dates/days.

Congratulations to all the Navy Chief Petty Officer selectees!

FY-2015

The complete FY-2015 Reserve Chief Petty Officer Results **Board Convenes, 19 MAY 2014**
The complete FY 2015 Active Navy Chief Results **Board Convenes, 23 JUNE 2014**
The complete FY 2015 Active Navy Senior Chief Results **Board Convenes, 21 April 2014**
The complete FY 2015 Active Navy Master Chief Results **Board Convenes, 31 March 2014**
The complete FY-2015 Navy Reserve Master/Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 083/14

FY-2014

The complete FY-2014 Reserve Chief Petty Officer Results NAVADMIN 213/13
The complete FY 2014 Active Navy Chief Results (PDF) NAVADMIN 193/13
The complete FY 2014 Active Navy Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 164/13
The complete FY 2014 Active Navy Master Chief Results NAVADMIN 136/13
The complete FY-2014 Navy Reserve Master/Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 130/13

FY-2013

The complete FY-2013 Reserve Chief Petty Officer Results NAVADMIN 257/12
The complete FY-2013 Active Chief Petty Officer Results NAVADMIN 232/12 (PDF Version)
The complete FY 2013 Active Navy Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 192/12
The complete FY 2013 Active Navy Master Chief Results NAVADMIN 170/12
The complete FY-2013 Navy Reserve Master/Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 129/12

FY-2012

The complete FY-2012 Active Navy Master Chief Results NAVADMIN 155/11
The complete FY-2012 Active Navy Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 175/11
The complete FY-2012 Reserve Chief Petty Officer Results NAVADMIN 199/11
The complete FY-2012 Active Chief Petty Officer Results NAVADMIN 233/11 (PDF Version)

FY-2011

The complete FY-2011 UPDATED Active Navy Master Chief Results NAVADMIN 238/10
The complete FY-2011 Active Navy Senior Chief Results NAVADMIN 237/10
The complete FY-2011 Active Navy Chief Results NAVADMIN 269/10 (PDF)

Previous active duty Chief Petty Officer result release dates:

FY-2005, NAVADMIN 082/04 — 04/09/04 — Friday
FY-2006, NAVADMIN 075/05 — 04/19/05 — Tuesday
FY-2007, NAVADMIN 108/06 — 04/19/06 — Wednesday
FY-2008, NAVADMIN 107/07 — 04/26/08 — Thursday
FY-2009, NAVADMIN 116/08 — 04/25/08 — Friday
FY-2010, NAVADMIN 126/09 — 04/27/09 — Monday
FY-2011, NAVADMIN 154/10 — 04/29/10 — Thursday (Original release)
FY-2012, NAVADMIN 155/11 — 05/04/11 — Wednesday
FY-2013, NAVADMIN 170/12 — 05/30/12 — Wednesday
FY-2014, NAVADMIN 136/13 — 05/22/13 — Wednesday

Interestingly, Wednesday and Friday release days seem to be the most popular.

BTW, all of you new selects need to get over and check into the Goatlocker.
Curious what your basic pay may jump to in 2014? Here is the current pay scale.

31 Responses to “Navy Chief Results”

1. BU1 Rivernider says:

Do you know of a site that keeps up with the FTS/Reserve CPO results, as well as you? The anticipation is killing me.

2. NCCM(ret) says:

From now on, I will keep an eye out for the FTS list also – I would be surprised if we hear very soon though – I’m guessin mid-July before the lists get signed out and released.

3. Jim says:

I am impressed by the Chief’s comunity’s ability to impress itself on the junior inlisted by widthholding information, a culture of secrecy and an attitude of superiority that leaves those who wish not to participate in useless games of tradition to the title of “E-7.”
    As a former Marine, I call bullshit. Step up to the plate with knowledge and leadership skills. Chief selects who stand up to your “traditions” are leaders, not followers, it’s the pandemic destroying your community now.
    How about a staff leadership school (instead of a foolish indoc/hazing) like the rest of the military?

4. CWong says:

Jim,

If you think initiation is nonsense, then ask some of your Marine Gunnys that have gone through the process alongside the selectees if they thought it was “useless games of tradition”. As a matter of fact you can ask the Air Force and Army folks that have done it too while you’re at it.

And by the way…we do have a leadership school “like the rest of the military”; it is called Senior Leadership Academy.

You might want to do some research next time before you call something/someone foolish.

5. MMC says:

Jim,
    Also before you go onto a Navy themed blog to try and degrade a tradition that many of us Chiefs, including the MCPON himself, hold very near and dear to our hearts you might want to do a couple things first.

1. Run your response through a spell checker so as to not cause your post to seem like it was written by someone without a normal education.
    2. Do a little research into the subject matter of which your post is to be about. By just going to Google and doing a simple search you would see that many of the aspect of the Chief indoctrination are heavily steeped in many old traditions that have been adapted for modern times to aid in giving new senior leadership tools to not only succeed but excel as the future leaders of the Navy.

V/R MMC

6. NCCM(ret) says:

OK, the active duty board has finished, so I’ll take a guess at the release date – 29 July.

7. IS1 Polk says:

Jim,
    Seriously bro think before you speak. I’m a first class in the Navy, a third generation Navy man, and fifth generation military service man. The tradition of a First Class Petty Officers transition to Chief Petty Officer is one embodies tradition, embraces leadership, and demands mentorship. It’s not only deeply rooted in naval history but United States history.
    If you would have done any research at all you would have known that only two ratings have remained in continuous use since 1797 (Boatswain’s Mate and Gunner’s Mate). Well over 100 Navy Chiefs have received the Medal of Honor; a commissioned vessel has been navy after the “rank itself”. How many other branches of service have ever named a command after a rank? NONE! If that alone does not tell you that there is something more to transition than what you said (“instead of a foolish indoc/hazing”) then you really have got your wires crossed.

A chief simple put is:
    Unity
    Service
    Navigation

8. IS1 Polk says:

One last thing
    Thinking and waiting on the results is making me mad. They need to com out now! LOL

9. Matt says:

Jim is just mad becuase he couldn’t get in the USN so he had to become a Jarhead.

10. Tom says:

Jim, I could not help but notice that you typed “former” Marine, not retired. I can only speculate at the anger you feel for the andvancement system in the USMC. As a Retired Navy Chief, I can tell you that you, are ill informed, ill mannered and ill willed. It is obvious that you never had or have the mental dedication, leadership and pride of a US Marine. I know this because, I have never met a Marine in my life, that outside of joking and in a bar, disrespected another service for the Job they do. Ribbing is one thing. You my poor misdirected service member, you NEED A CHIEF IN YOUR LIFE! Navy Chief brothers….Navy Pride..
    Tom

11. Kevin says:

I agree with Jim ofcourse because I am also a Marine. I just don’t understand how you learn “leadership” in such a short time. In the Marine Corps we start learning it at boot camp. A few weeks where we iron underwear and shine boots doesn’t teach leadership. I was stationed on an amphib for 3 years and I have experienced this first hand. Now that being said I respect the Navy and it’s people you are some of the hardiest working folks I know. I am still friends with many of the sailors I served with and hope to serve on another Amphib soon. The bottomline is your hazefest doesn’t teach leadership it is outdated and you can come up with whatever reason(excuses) you want it is nothing but a good ole time with the boys earning “their right of passage”.

12. Tom says:

Kevin, I was unaware that you went through a Navy Chief Transition Program ( or as I knew it during my time the Initiation). Or did you just hear about it threw the scuttle about the boat, or see a few selectees’ performing acts that you thought were ridiculous? Leadership is taught in many ways, but never in a rush. Leadership is taught from boot camp in the Navy as well, and passed and gained as sailors traverse through the ranks. Much similar to that of the USMC. You see our ways and think it is ridiculous games, hazing and poking fun. Childs play…. Can’t the same be said for some of the corps traditions? I don’t see a lot of Navy guys hanging pics of their naked wives and girlfriends for all to see in the barracks while on deployment. I noted this on a amphib ( the USS Ashland) is this the act of “civilized and structured leadership” or what about any other “hazing” the marine corps does, yet has a purpose behind it? Rite of passage? What about blood stripes? What does that teach? Just Curious Devil Dog.
    This is what the Navy does, during transition things happen, you don’t have to understand what and why, you will never get to either, unless you went through a transition with the Navy Chiefs Mess. All you have that I can tell is speculation. Much more happens that what you see, and there is a reason behind it all. Maybe you could use a little humility to humble yourself……

13. coopsgirl says:

where will the CPO results post that is public?

14. NCCM(ret) says:

Coopsgirl,

It will be sent out via a NAVADMIN after it appears on BOL.

15. coopsgirl says:

Is there a specific site that you can recommend that will have the public listing?

16. Steve says:

I always enjoy reading posts from people. Especially when they have no idea of what they speak. I am glad their were a few CPO’s here to try and explain as much that can be said. Some of the secrecy is needed, if you knew everything that you were getting into then what would you learn? When I went through my “initiation” I had a Gunny that had earned his Anchors there to teach me. I have also initiated a Gunny a few years later, and he has said that it was worth it to earn his Anchors and wears them with pride. Any Selectee that “stand up to your “traditions”” are in my opinion lazy and closed minded. Probably should have not been selected. I will hold dear to my heart that six weeks and take it the lessons I have learned for the rest of my life. No, a Navy Chief does not learn in six weeks how to be a leader, we, just like all other branches of services start learning in bootcamp. But we add many tools that are very useful in that six weeks. But as with and opinion or thought, this is just mine.

-Proud Chief

17. Jim2 says:

Jim’s right. Chiefs are by far dragging ass behind every other branch’s senior enlisted. They are petty, shameful, lazy, a lot of times fat and stupid as well. They spend a month with that silly ass initiation rather than learning how to actually lead sailors. Usually, it’s the “collateral whores” that make chief, so they are already behind the curve on knowing how to be a first class let alone a chief. If there was ever a real honest evaluation done on the senior enlisted in the navy I think a lot of the FAT would get trimmed off.

18. ABH1 says:

A Chief told me this past weekend…some of what junior enlisted DO see during “Induction” looks and seems humiliating and irrelevant to leadership; however, it is done for a reason, and you will have no idea what that reason is until you become a Chief and years later go through a situation with a junior Sailor where you can look back and have a revelation…”So that was why we did that, so that when I am in this situation I know how to deal with it.”

19. Jimsgotapoint says:

Some folks might have there feelings hurt but Jims making a point. I have a long time working with Army soldiers and Marines. currently deployed with the 82nd. I see leadership and mentoring skills the kind I never saw in the fleet. My 2nd deployment to Iraq showed me just how leadership should work. I was most impressed by the Marine ‘camp Corporal’ that ran things at our location. I’ve seen Army and Marine E-4s and E-3s in my current deployment, take charge like Ive never seen in the Navy. Not that it’s totally absent but we’re behind the curb on this. We tend to promote ass kissers and ‘yes’ people. For every name on the list I can say “He’s going to make a good chief” I can see 3 names of folks that sat around working there eval bullets, that spent the majority of there time kissing ass to the CoC.

I was one of the last folks to go thru the ‘leadership course’ that was actually taught. It went away and now amounts to an NKO point an click. The Navy needs to step up in the teaching leadership department and encouraging leadership over likership.

20. Curtis says:

As a retired master Chief I can tell you that the process has refined itself greatly over the decade plus I spent in the Mess. Very little of what remains is the secretive BS stuff that most focus on. The Mess and more importantly the process is about teaching the comradery and power of the Mess when they are unified to achieve a common goal. Leadership has mostly been learned at that point, it is however refined, focused and clarified during the season.
    Those looking in from the outside with little actual knowledge of what is really happening should do so with caution and an understanding that there are parts they don’t see, experience and understand. You can’t make a judgement without a clear picture of the process as a whole, to do so would be ill informed.
    The process of selection, like that of the other branches, isn’t perfect. Those that look good on paper are often not so in real life. That isn’t an issue though with the Induction we go through. That is a seperate issue of the selection process. It also isn’t perfect in the other branches, so before critically analyzing our failures, perhaps you should fix yours. I’ve seen enough FUBAR in other branches to know we aren’t the only ones.
    R/
    MMCM

21. tom stephens says:

i am a sailor from the vietnam era. my son is a chief waiting on the e-8 results- so am i anxiously, for his sake. i really like your post, no bull, and honest. thanks

22. Truth Revealed says:

I was a Chief in the Navy at one time. I must say that I agree inpart with the marines on this page. The navy selectee “Training Season” is a waist of time. I learned very quickly that most chiefs spend most of there time being a good “Chief”. You all know what im talking about, CMC luncheons, golf outings, shitting on your own people, not having a clue what is going on in your own division, etc. I have said it many times. Maybe the Chief rank meant something at one time, but it is useless as hell now (atleast since i joined in 1989). E7, E8 and E9 ranks in the navy should be done away with. This could free up tax payers money, and result in a more efficient Navy. The First Classes are the unsung heroes, and sometimes the Second Class. Im not bitter, but i spent 7 years as a chief, and i was disappointed. If any chiefs read this and you havent retired yet, I call on you to do the right thing, I did. Be a leader of man, Take care of your men, teach your men. Dont sell your soul, let the “good chiefs” worry about making senior, and licking the CMC’s anal cavity. You be a leader and take care of your men.

23. MCC(ret.) says:

This is in reference to all who think (they) know what becoming a Chief is all about. And think that it is a waste of time. I understand your confusion, your looking from the outside in and don’t fully comprehend what these 1st class’ are going thru. Everything, every task had a purpose behind it. Example, when I made Chief, I was doing my duty working in the mess one evening when a Chief asked me to get him a Pepsi. I kindly reminded the chief that the mess only carries coke products. He said, “I want a Pepsi.” At that point I thought that this was an idiot just trying to harass me because I was going thru transition. I ended up getting him his requested Pepsi. It took me a few days to realize that the lesson he was trying to convey is, I have resources that I can depend on to get the Pepsi(or the job done). Now, lets switch that Pepsi for something of more value to the ships mission. Let’s say that I was asked to get this part so the ship can continue it’s mission. What if I had just said, “Sorry Sir, we don’t have that part.” I’m sure I would have been fired, or at the very least, replaced with someone who could get the job done. You see, from the outside it looks like harassment, but in reality, this Chief was teaching without giving me the answer. So, instead of judging without knowing, perhaps you should go thru to process before passing sentence on something you know absolutely about! There will always be people who are disgruntled because they never had the chance to go through this process and will say negative things. But i’m sure if they did go thru it, they would change their minds.

24. Mel says:

They don’t do chief indoc/hazing anymore new mcpon had bad experience or some crap and canceled everything traditional. Everyone gets codled and treated nicely now, no learning why being a chief means something as a team of leaders just more class training and no coming to realize what you will mean to others as a leader, now you’re just an E7.

25. Out says:

Mel,

I hope you look back and read this reply to your post.

I do not know your background but I hope you were not a Chief. It should be the Mess’s job to support the MCPO in public and not question his leadership/programs in public in front of Junior Sailors.

The Chief’s Mess should represent a united front.

That is all

26. Will says:

MCC,
    Did you really need some guy to come ask you for a Pepsi for you to realize that when it came time to get down to business and the ship was facing a failed mission that you had BETTER source a part? I am a first up for Chief, and I honestly do not buy for a second that there are some amazing lessons to be learned in “phase 2″, and if there are then why in the world are we not empowering the bluejackets with this knowledge. Perhaps “phase 2″ along with the rest of CPO 365 can be put into bootcamp, that way we RAISE our Chiefs, not transition a first… The bottom line here is simple. Don’t use p***y leadership, take care of you sailors, your ship, and your family. Weigh the orders, use creativity, forethought, and common sense and you’ll be a great chief. That’s my .02 though…

27. ETCM (Ret) says:

Congrats to all new selects!!!

28. ETC (ret.) says:

Im pretty sure you sent this post to me, for my comment I had made. I stand by my post. I love your analogy of the pepsi. But herein the problem lies. You see, in any walk in life, you have to make things work. Does it really take you being selected to chief to learn this? If it did, then you were not a very efficient second or first class. The e7-e9 ranks in the navy are a waist of man power and money. Everything happens at the first and second class level. I do think that the enlisted need representation, but this can be satisfied with one body. A real leader will not be considered a good chief. As a chief, I felt it imperative to know what is going in my division. I tried to lead and help the lpo lead more efficiently. I felt it was my duty to ensure my men was always performing at tge next highest paygrade. I also found it ironic that out of 19 chiefs, it was only myself and two other chiefs that ever fought there men’s evals, awards, soq and soy. Everytime, same three chiefs. We weren’t even thev”good chiefs”. I also ensured that my men were provided all the bibliography study material and two weeks on navy time to study forc advancement. I also ensured that I was available to my men, which prevented me from doing all the “good chief” stuff, I.e cmc luncheons, golf outings, silly chief meetings, etc. The “good chiefs” all are master chiefs now, and us e7′s that kept the boat underway, eitger retired as a e7 or just got out. I will not sell my soul or step on another human, for my own personal gain. Anchors are dead weight. Every chief petty officer would be shell shocked if they actually had to pull there heads out there cmc asses and actually led.

29. Salty Dog (Ret) says:

“Chief Petty Officers serve a dual role as both technical experts and as leaders”(Wikipedia)I was always told also that the Chief was the buffer between “junior Enlisted” and Officer ranks. There has been a shift in the identity of the CPO. My perception or reality, you decide. Many serving in the CPO ranks today lack the maturity and/or selflessness to fulfill the purpose of that position. I’ve seen many E6 that were promoted and inducted into the CPO community, and still had no idea of what they were doing or supposed to be doing. I served under several CPOs that would have better served the division by not being there. I was always the expert. the Chief used to ask ME. Most of the time the PO1s were the ones “getting it done.” From my perspective the probably two thirds of the CPO mess was counterproductive. I’ve known some outstanding CPO leaders. I wish I could call them by name. I only wish more were like those few great leaders.

Respectfully

30. STGC says:

Hmmm. Thanks for the site. Good resource to add to my list. Interesting converstion as well. I see bits of truth throughout or at least I believe I understand the intent/impression each has. I did 8 active (85-93)and saw a much different (from the outside) Initiation. 10 yr break and on my 8th in the reserves now. Made Chief here. I enjoyed my season, learned alot but also believe some lessons I already knew and was a little frustrated convincing the mess. No prob. I also realize one should never ‘assume’ anything and place no blame on their part. It’s a way to find out who can/will be trustworthy to pick up their section of mooring line and pull. Maybe it was due to having the life experiences of 4 adult children, 5 grand, child in coma (almost lost), owning my own business, etc. You know, the heavy trials, tribulations and experience that develop those life/leadership skills. I am a much better Chief/mentor/leader/father/husband now than when I was, or would have been at 26 when I was a shoe in for E7 but left active and didn’t take the final exam. Yes, some make it who probably shouldn’t. Each force has it’s own way of doing business, on all fronts. Some things not necessarily better, just different. The one trend I don’t care for is making the Armed Forces more business/corporate like. We are different. It should stay that way. Our job is to kill people and break things. Ugly but true. We all pray for the best but MUST plan for the worse. Those who would do us harm are watching. Any sign of weakness is an opportunity. I too have served with bro/sis forces and gladly stand arm in arm with them (yes in my khakis) to defend our home from enemies both foreign and, if it comes to it, domestic. See you on the lines. T

31. AZCM(ret) says:

@ ETC (Ret)

Judging from the way you write it is not surprising you had to fight for your sailors on evaluations. I found that often when I wrote an evaluation for my sailors my thoughts and opinions were accurately relayed on paper and therefore my sailors got the rankings/awards they were entitled to. I can see that was not your experience. I am also sure that the reason you stagnated at the “E-7″ level (I say that because judging from your post you were anything but a “chief”) is due to the fact that you did not learn how to be a unified team and that is one of the tenets of a chief’s mess. Sorry that you were so disappointed in how your career turned out and hope that in civilian life you are not as short sided as you were in the military. Carry on and dismissed.