Eligible Programs for 2010 Loan Repayment

LRP for 2010

The Navy Student Loan Repayment Program (LRP), for those who ship to boot camp in FY-2010, has now been limited to the following rates/programs:

Information Systems Technician (IT)
Nuclear Field
Aircrew Rescue Swimmer Program
Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)
Navy Diver (ND)
Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB)
Special Warfare Operator – SEAL (SO)

The maximum benefit is $65,000, and it is taxed as income. Loan repayments can be made to qualifying loans like Stafford, Perkins, Ford, and other loans that typically are described as “Title 4″ loans.

LRP participants may utilize the GI-Bill; however, to qualify, you must re-enlist for a second term (and have served a minimum of 24 months of that second term).

Currently, all active programs, with the exception of the Full Time Support (FTS) and the New Accession Training Programs (NAT), are eligible for the LRP in rates that ship to boot camp in FY-2011. See your Recruiter for complete details and updates.

30 Responses to “LRP for 2010”

1. Michael says:

I was told that the Navy would pay my student loans back. Now they are telling me that I am not eligible for the LRP because they have stopped accepting applicants for FY2010. I ship out in January 2011 and if I am not mistaken, I should qualify because the above statement says that “Currently, all active programs, with the exception of the Full Time Support (FTS) and the New Accession Training Programs (NAT), are eligible for the LRP in rates that ship to boot camp in FY-2011.” So essentially, since I have all the paperwork done and the lender has the paperwork as does the Navy, I should be fine. So why is the recruiter telling me that the Navy has done away with the LRP completely? I fail to see how one day after my paperwork is done, they tell me that I cannot have the LRP. Any help would be truly appreciated.

2. NCCM(ret) says:

Michael,

Because a person is eligible for a bonus, program, or even a rating, does not mean that it will be available at the time they apply. That said, I have not heard any news about the program being done away with. As a matter of fact, CNRC still has the FAQ and contact information for the program listed here; http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/EIncentives/EB%20_FAQ.htm

3. Michael says:

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it.

4. Erin says:

Hello, was just wondering if there were any loopholes or exceptions to this new LRP standard. I signed up in March and leave for bootcamp the end of this month, and I was really hoping that the Navy would pay off part of my loans. After being told by my recruiter that only those jobs listed above were eligible, I found a girl who just signed up in May, got a job in Sonar, and she is getting the LRP. Any information you have would be helpful, thanks.

5. NCCM(ret) says:

Erin,

There isn’t any loop holes. Various bonuses and programs open and close depending on a number of factors, all of which are to ensure the right number of people, of the right quality, enlist in the programs with the greatest need.

6. David says:

What rates currently qualify for the LRP? I signed under SB and was told it was not offered when I was at MEPPs.

7. NCCM(ret) says:

David,

Per the latest message dated 21OCT10, effective November 1, 2010, all active duty ratings and programs are eligible in all fiscal year 2011 shipping months.

8. David says:

I signed my contract on the 13th of October, 2010. So according to the last post I would not have qualified until the following month correct? Do you know if it is possible for me to get it added on or would I have to sign a new contract? Or is it even possible for me to get the LRP at this point. I ship in March of this year.

9. NCCM(ret) says:

David,

You would need to sit down with your Recruiter and discuss it – my post is the macro view, and does not always relate to the mirco reality. Things you need to discuss are the program, and is it really a good deal for you – the 9/11 GI-Bill is awesome, so make sure you evaluate/balance the monies you owe vs the benefits of the GI Bill. Sure you could plan to re-enlist to get the GI Bill benefit at a later time, but make sure you are planning this with your eyes wide open.

10. ACAN WILKES says:

HI. I HAVE JUST FINISHED MY FIRST YEAR. I WAS TOLD MY LRP WAS DENIED THEN HALF WAY THROUGH MY FIRST YEAR I GOT CONFIRMATION THAT IT WAS APPROVED. I HAVE BEEN ILL AND RELOCATED TO MY NEW DUTY STATION SINCE. I DID NOT FILE FOR MY ANNUAL LRP UNTIL AFTER MY ANNIVESARY. WILL THEY STILL ACCEPT IT AND PAY IT DO YOU KNOW? I’M CONCERNED ABOUT LOOSING $23,000. SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR TO SUBMIT FOR MY FIRST PAYMENT?

11. NCCM(ret) says:

Airman Wilkes,

I think you should call the LRP manager at (877) 747-7657 and describe your circumstance to him for guidance how to proceed.

12. Casey says:

Is the LRP being offered for ALL jobs/rates for those entering Navy basic training FY 2012? I asked my recruiter this but he doesn’t seem to know. I have also called the LRP manager, but no one picked up after I called twice and held for over 20 minutes each time. Also, the fiscal year starts Oct.1 and ends Sept.30, right? When will the new info regarding the LRP for 2012 be released? Thank you for your help.

13. NCCM(ret) says:

Casey,

The latest message I read (CRUITCOM DTG: 142049Z Mar 11) stated that LRP is open to all ratings and programs that you can DEP in FY-2011 and leave for boot-camp in FY-2011 or FY-2012. FY-2011 ends September 30, 2011.

14. Casey says:

Wonderful. Thanks again.

15. PS1 Enlisted Classifier says:

David,
    You stated you have the job of SB and you were not offered LRP by the MEPS, that is because you are only authorized one of the incentives, enlisted bonus or LRP. Depending on the amount of your loans, the enlistment bonus may have been more beneficial.

16. NCCM(ret) says:

PS1,

Thank you for the clarification!

17. Quameer Reddick-Parker says:

I am currently (October 2011) in the Navy, working as a CS. When I did my contract/picked my job in February 2011, my recruiter told me that i did not qualify for the Loan Repayment Program. Now that I am officially (October 2011) in the Navy, I’m hearing that I did meet all of the requirements back in February 2011 before entering Boot Camp. Maybe I was misunderstood, but is there any way that I can get help with my Student Loans. Please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.

18. NCCM(ret) says:

Quameer,

The LRP program is an enlistment program that must be included in your contract when you join as there is no prevision for adding it after you shipped to boot-camp.

19. Tim says:

I am currently looking to enlist (taking the ASVAB and MEPS next week), my recruiter told me only a few rates offered the LRP (I called it tuition reimbursement). If I’m correct in my reading, all rates are eligible for this program now? I think he told me only the 2010 rates were eligible. I was also told there are very few signing bonuses… Just looking to cut down on some student loans.

20. NCCM(ret) says:

Tim,

During FY 2011, all rates were available for LRP – as of October 1 we are in FY-2012. I have not yet seen the available ratings for 2012 LRP. Yes, I have heard the same about enlistment bonuses.

As mentioned in the post, if you do get LRP, you lose the GI-Bill unless you reenlist for a second term – the GI Bill is huge and you can use it to get as much education you can get in 36 months of class.

21. Tim says:

Thank you for the response. Is there any way to get that list? Or should the recruiter already have it?

I already have my bachelors degree, and I’m not really planning on going any further in my education… I think the LRP would be best for me.

22. NCCM(ret) says:

Tim,

Have your recruiter, while you are in the office, contact the LRP administrator – if he/she doesn’t have the phone number, it is on this page – http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/eincentives/EB%20_FAQ.htm

23. Devin says:

I’m a four year sailor, that is on his way out of the navy, who also came into the navy under the LRP program. I have documentation showing that the navy has made some payments, however, i still owe a balance of over 15,000 of a 35,000 loan? yes, i know that 20-25% is taxable, but my 3 previous income tax checks i failed to get this money back. And i know simple math 25% of 35,000 is not 15,000. and yes i am aware of the interst…which comes up to be around 5,000…im just trying to figure out why isn’t the other 10,000 paid? All the phone numbers and emails for this organization fail to work to at least talk to someone that could give me a valid explanation. If anyone ot there can help or has some useful information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Devin

24. Devin says:

oh yeah i have one more question: is there still a re-enlistment requirement for LRP applicants to recieve the post-911GI BILL? i here it has changed, but can not find any information on it?

25. NCCM(ret) says:

Devin,

Have you submitted the required documentation each year? You are required to submit annual DD-2475 form to Navy Recruiting Command in order to trigger the payments. The taxes are not taken from the loan repayment, it would come out of your regular pay check and the loan payment would show up on your LES. If the entire $35K was all qualifying loans and stipulated as qualifying loans and made part of the program when you joined – you shouldn’t have any balance left.

26. NCCM(ret) says:

Devin,

Yes, the reenlistment requirement is still in place, but with 4 years of service, you should have one year of GI Bill eligibility.

27. Devin says:

NCCM,
    thank you for the information. And thanks for replying so quickly, its very much appreciated. And yes i have submitted all documents on time and done everything i was supposed to do. Like i said have documents of payments being paid, the problem is they did not pay the entire balance. However, there was never any taxes taken out of my check. and yes the entire 35k was all quallifying loans. no one seems to be able to help be though ive used my chain of command all the way up to base legal. and they cant even help me? i just want to get into contact with someone who knows whats going on so i can fix this issue so i dont end up with a financial hardship. but i do thank you for all of your help sir. thank you and god bless, Devin Knox

28. NCCM(ret) says:

Devin,

This email address to the national coordinator for the LRP program still works, have you attempted to contact him?

cnrc_lrp-eb[at]navy.mil

[at] = @

Otherwise, contact the PAO at CNRC (901)874-9048 – he should be able to put you in contact with the right person after you explain your circumstance.

29. Courtney says:

I was wondering if you had found out if all active duty ratings for FY 2012 are eligible for LRP? I as of right now am in the DEP leaving in May.I am in the AC program and have LRP. I wanted to change it to OS but really need LRP and didn’t know if I get that with the OS rating.

30. NCCM(ret) says:

Courtney,

First of all, congratulations on your enlistment!

I have not heard about which ratings could be possible with LRP, but your recruiter should be able to give you the up to the second answer on which rates, or if you can have it applied/transferred to the OS rating. I hope you can come back and let us know what you find out.