2011 Defense Budget - The Process Begins

Average 4.2% Increase in 2011 BAH

President Obama’s 2011 budget request for Department of Defense, released officially today, requests an average housing allowance increase of 4.2 percent, as well as a variety of monthly special skill-based payments, enlistment and reenlistment bonuses, and other benefits.

Family support programs grow over 3% – some of the main increases are $87 million, to expand availability for affordable, high-quality child care services at over 800 child development centers both in the United States and overseas – $37 million, for expanded counseling and assistance services, from financial counseling to transition and relocation assistance, to help families meet the challenges brought on by repeated deployments and family separations – $12 million, for enhanced career and educational opportunities for military spouses through tuition assistance and Federal internship programs.

The budget also includes a 1.4% basic pay raise for 2011 that is supposed to keep military pay in line with those in the private sector. That depends on who’s numbers you believe… Congressman Wilson put forth a 1.9% pay raise proposal (H.R. 4427) on Jan. 13, 2010 – like years past, the half percent increase is already being co-sponsored by a number of other congressman and should gain even more traction as the year progresses.

Budget information retrieved from the published fact sheet and the FY 2011 President’s Budget Appendix (PDF)

UPDATE: As of December 15, 2010, the Defense Travel Management Office has updated the BAH calculator for 2011 (BAH and OHA portals updated for 2011).

56 Responses to “Average 4.2% Increase in 2011 BAH”

1. just making a point says:

My husband has served active duty for almost 6 years now. We have two children, one almost 4 and the other almost 1. He missed our oldest being born due to deployment, served 2 more deployments, and barely made it home in time for our youngest to be born. We have missed many memories together. While he did volunteer to serve his country, it would be nice if there was actual appreciation shown for his service. 1.4% is not as nice a raise as we saw in previous years, but it is still a raise. What I want to know is if we are receiving such a small raise, is congress and the president also receiving a small raise, or even giving up their raise in order to help with the country’s debt problem? And why did Obama feel the need to buy $60,000 suv’s as government vehicles, when there were prefectly good cars already in use? I didn’t vote for Obama, and if he were to run again, I still wouldn’t vote for him. My husband continues to serve his country, I work part-time making minimum wage, as much as possible while still taking care of my family, and we are still having trouble “getting by” because of inflation. If the government REALLY wants to make a dent in the debt situation, it will force people off welfare and make them get a job. I understand that some people can’t work, but the majority of the people don’t WANT to work becuase they get free money from the governemt for doing NOTHING. Unemployment rates would go down if the unemployed knew for a fact that they would only get an unemployment check for a short period of time while they looked for a new job. So that forcing people to find a job, even at a paycut from they prior job. Stop trying to “fix” the country’s money problems by making raises lower and lower for people who actually deserve to get raises.

2. mark says:

I would just like to say I am stationed in Corpus Christi TX, they just dropped our BAH down because they said it was to high. It was 1200 it is now 1180 in this area. I have two kids and a wife. The only suitable place I could find for rent while waiting for base houseing to open is a house where I pay 1400 a month in rent. That is not including utilities. You tell me what 1.4% will give me?

3. NCCM(ret) says:

Mark,

Your BAH should not go down. Servicemembers will only see increases in BAH, never a decrease (unless you get busted) – the new BAH rate is for members who transfer in, your old rate is grandfathered.

4. E5AV says:

The way I look at the situation is like this, if you really NEED more than a 1.4% increase in your pay then you are already in financial trouble, if your BAH decreased by $65 and that puts you in a financial constraint then you were already in trouble and were not planning appropriately for this declining economy. If your living outside of your means in this stage of the economy shame on you, pay off those debts and have more of your income to work with rather than having no income to work with. Building debt is mostly the reason why we are in this stage of the economy. As military members we get paid BAH, BAS, and Basic pay; as a civilian you DON’T get BAH and BAS but you still have to pay your rent, health insurance premium, and buy food. Be happy with what you have and what you get because it can easily be taken away.

5. E5AV says:

Let me add that I am married with 1 child and for a long time I was the only bread winner in my household. My military paycheck was enough as a 4 year senior airman to provide for my family, pay almost a $400 a month car payment, credit cards, rent, buy food, and buy gas at over $4.00 a gallon. Its hard but it can be done people don’t depend on something that isn’t there and disappoint yourselfs when it isn’t what you expected.

6. Patrick says:

I wish people would stop complaining. I’ve been in 12 years and I make pretty good money. I am also enlisted so pulling 3200 in base pay and 1400 in BAH and another 250 for BAH. Why do people complain so much. Stop living outside your means and budget like the rest of America. I have friends who are not in the military struggling on less then $1000 a month.

I say fix military pay to inflation …. its fair. I wouldn’t mind getting a 3% pay raise but who wouldn’t but honestly it is unfair to keep giving us more and more money while so many people are living without, so many people are being asked to do more to help the deficit situation.

Too many people are paying little or no or negative taxes. By negative I am talking about the slew of of neighbors who were deployed half the year and because of tax laws end up paying $1k in taxes for the year and getting $8k back. End all these tax breaks because paying $2 – 3k in taxes the whole year is not a big deal. Too many people have a sense of entitlement in this country and in the military and it needs to stop.

Tell politicians to stop tacking pet projects onto bills and just vote of the bill itself not because you are going to get a new park or statue in your district.