Navy Processing Closed 18Dec09-03Jan10

CNRC 2009 Holiday Standdown

Thinking about joining the Navy? This news may just interest you: Commander, Navy Recruiting Command‘s (CNRC) annual holiday stand-down of applicant processing will start the close of business December 18, 2009. Processing of Navy applicants will not recommence until January 3, 2010. Processing includes, applicant physicals and waiver processing (medical and moral). However, waivers submitted prior to the commencement of the stand-down WILL be processed, but, if approved, the applicant will not be able to go to the local Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) and join the Navy until Jan. 3, 2010 at the earliest. The computer system that handles Navy jobs and boot-camp assignment will also be shut down – this means there will be no new accessions, changes in Delayed Entry Program (DEP) status, nor will requests for changes/modifications in job guarantees be accomplished. And finally, nobody will be leaving for boot-camp during the stand-down. Per CNRC Notice

Holiday stand-downs have been part of CNRC’s operating procedure since RADM Voelker implemented it back during the holiday season of 2000, his first year as Commander, Navy Recruiting Command.

6 Responses to “CNRC 2009 Holiday Standdown”

1. TJP says:

Hi NCCM,

I just had a question about Navy job contracts: is it possible to change your guaranteed job in DEP? I am currently assigned CTN, but really want to go in Air Traffic Control (AC). My recruiter tells me to wait until I get my loan repayment information in (which it is almost complete) before I attempt to change my job. Is there something I should do, though, to officially put in a job request? Is there a form I fill out? Do you think my recruiter is being honest in having me wait until the loan repayment info is complete, or is it just putting off the rate change request?

Thanks!!!

TJP

2. chelsea dillon says:

TJP,
    If you haven’t gone to boot camp yet I suggest not to wait until your there to change your job. your recruiter wants the points to get you in, if you tell him you’ll wait, or consider getting a similar job with another branch. he’ll be more motivated to help you get your desired job. don’t wait, once the navys got you your stuck with what they give you.

3. NCCM(ret) says:

TJP,

It is possible. A couple of the issues are;

Is the job you want available? Keep in mind that the Navy has filled a majority of its billets for the FY and the number of people wanting to join is as high as it has ever been.

Do you have enough DEP time left in order to fill the vacancy that may be available?

Do you qualify for the job (medically, mentally and morally)?

I am sure there are more that are escaping me at this time (I am at Disney; hence the delay in answering)

Good luck and have a great Christmas!

4. TJP says:

Hello Chelsea and NCCM,

Thank you for your answers. I have been constantly reminding my recruiter that I would like to change jobs, but he told me to wait until I complete the Loan Repayment Forms before I put in a rate change request. A for qualifications, I got the ASVAB score, and passed my MEPS physical so I should qualify on those grounds. I also received an initial Top Secret Clearance at MEPS and AC only requires a Secret clearance so I should be fine there. I’m supposed to leave for RTC on April 14th 2010, so I don’t know if that’s enough time in DEP to change rates? I would be more than willing to extend my time in DEP to get AC. I realize there may not be any openings now, but I would rather wait now and go in doing something I feel I would excel in then being miserable for the next 6 years. I really want to join the Navy (especially after that medical waiver process..whew!!), I’ve just decided I want to make Air Traffic Control my career when I get out, and think doing this in the Navy would be ideal.

5. NCCM(ret) says:

TJP,

Not that it is your case, but you can pass the MEPS physical and still not be qualified for certain jobs. A couple of examples: Some jobs require normal color perception; some jobs have hearing thresholds greater than minimum.

As for LRP, is AC currently a LRP qualifying rating? – http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2008/09/19/navy-student-loan-repayment

6. TJP says:

Hi NCCM,

I haven’t been able to find out whether AC is a loan-repayment-qualifying-rate. I still haven’t heard anything about it from my recruiter so I guess I’m stuck with CTN. I’m going to try to go to school for AC while enlisted, if I can’t get it in the Navy though. Do you know if CTN’s can request any Navy base, or if there are certain places the Navy likes to send CTN’s? I ask because there is an Air Traffic Control school in Jacksonville Florida as well as a Navy base, and being stationed there would be ideal if I couldn’t get AC in the Navy.

–TJP