MEPS Confirmation ASVAB Test

ASVAB Confirmation Test

For some time now I have been getting email questions regarding the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), specifically about the confirmation test and what is it about. I answered each question confidentially and tailored the answer to the individual, I will continue to do that, but those questions prompted me to put the regulation into, hopefully, an understandable way. So here it goes! (Remember, the AFQT score is what is used to indicate your aptitude for service; it is not, by itself, the score used to determine what Navy job you may qualify for – that is what the ASVAB line scores are used for.)

Confirmation testing applies to any person who was given a retest on any version of the (ASVAB) who’s ASVAB score increased 20 AFQT points or more than their previous test score, and the two tests are taken within 6 months of each other, they are required to take the confirmation test. If 6 months passed from the date of the retest then the confirmation test is not required no matter what the AFQT point increase may have been. The rule applies regardless if it was an enlistment or a student ASVAB when deciding if a confirmation retest is required.

Confirmation testing cannot be given at a school or MET site, it will only be conducted in the MEPS and it is a full version containing all sections of the ASVAB.

If you fall into the above rule, and you complete a confirmation test, your AFQT from the confirmation test must be compared to the previous test. If your confirmation test AFQT is higher than the AFQT from the previous test, or the AFQT from the confirmation test does not decrease by more than half the value of the retest’s gain, then you have met the required criteria for a successful confirmation test. The results from the test that made you take the confirmation test in the first place becomes the score you will use for enlistment, not the confirmation test score.

If your confirmation ASVAB test AFQT goes down more than half of your initial point increase (retest AFQT minus previous test AFQT), you will be required to complete a confirmation interview.

UPDATE: Per USMEPCOM Regulation 611-1, dated November 4, 2013 — effective December 4, 2013, the Confirmation Interview requirement is no longer required. The Confirmation Test is now officially a pass/fail test based on the score you achieve as defined in this post.

An example; If you got a 33 AFQT on the first test and two months later you take a retest and score a 59 AFQT. Because the test was within 6 months the 26 point increase of your AFQT will require you to take a confirmation test (unless you wait 6 more months). If on the confirmation test you scored a 45 AFQT which is 14 points less than the retest AFQT (greater than half of the 26 point increase) – you will require the interview.

If you are required to take the Confirmation ASVAB Test and refuse to go to the MEPS to take it, you will no longer be allowed to take the pencil and paper ASVAB tests. If you refuse to return for the confirmation interview, you must wait 6 months for further processing from the date of the confirmation test. After the 6 month wait, you may voluntarily retest at the MEPS or process using your last valid test score (the score that prompted the confirmation test would not be a valid test unless you did take the confirmation test).

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

581 Responses to “ASVAB Confirmation Test”

1. tanny says:

I think you made a mistake in your example. In the example the person scored more than half of the retest gain and you said that the person will have to take the interview. I spotted this mistake and decide to inform you.Please correct it has soon has possible cause pepole will get confused.

2. kenny says:

Why should the person take the interview when he scored higher than half of the retest gain.Thanks

3. NCCM(ret) says:

“If on the confirmation test you scored a 45 AFQT which is 14 points less than the retest AFQT (greater than half of the 26 point increase) – you will require the interview.”

Not sure how to say it any better than this. The original test was a 33, then you get a 59 – that is a 26 point difference. If you score on the confirmation test LESS than half of the difference of the 33 to the 59 (more than 13 points) then an interview is required. In the example the person scored a 45 which is 14 points less than the 59, one point less than the minimum threshold required. Make sense? It is the policy.

4. kenny says:

thanks

5. shawn says:

if you waited six months for you retest,and hit twenty points higher than the previous test would you be required to take the retest.

6. NCCM(ret) says:

@Shawn

If you waited 6 months and scored 20 points higher a confirmation test would not be required.

7. luis says:

if some one took the test three times and failed.now the six months have passed and he or she is ready for the fourth retest and score more than 20 points does he or she have to take a confirmation test? thanks

8. NCCM(ret) says:

@Luis

If 6 months pass and you take the test again you will not have to take a confirmation test no matter how many points higher you may score.

9. luis says:

thanks

10. jean says:

how do you know he will not require a confirmation test ouch?

11. NCCM(ret) says:

@Jean

The instruction states to the effect, “If 6 months passed from the date of the retest then the confirmation test is not required no matter what the AFQT point increase may have been.”

12. Carlos Rios says:

I have taken the test four times. Before the fourth test, I had to wait six months. I was determined to pass the ASVAB, therefore, I paid 200 dollars to an person who gave me tips and strategies to practice, bought the Baron’s DVD, bought the ASVAB book and studied at home for a month prior to the date of the 4th test. I used all the practice tests on military.com and many other tests I could find on the internet and passed all the tests using all the tips and stragtegies suggested by all internet resources, book, DVD, military.com website and the day of the test, the ASVAB was totally different than the tests I prepared for and had taken in the past. Unfortunately, I still didn’t pass. Test one was taken in November 2007( scored a 17) , test two: June 2008 ( scored 28) Test three: November 2008( scored 28) and the fourth test: June 8 2009 ( scored 25). No one has told me about this confirmation ASVAB test. Should I keep trying? What aother alternatives do I have? I really want join the armed forces and feel the doors are closing on me. The fourth test was totally different becasue no one told me that I had to perpare for another test. For example, in the first three tests, the WK had 35 words to define in 11 minutes. In the 4th test, I had 16 words and 8 minutes in WK section. I compared the score of the 4th test with the WK score of the 3rd test, got the same standardized score and still did not pass. I am not frustrated yet, but would like to know where can I get an accurate practice for the ASVAB, but moreover, undrstand how scores are determined or tests are scored. It seems to me that DODS is making it more difficult for people to join the Arm Forces. Any advice? Thank you for the attention on this matter.

13. NCCM(ret) says:

Carlos,

I have had applicants retake the test as many as 8 times before they finally passed the ASVAB. Keep at it!

Read, read and read some more. When you find a word during your reading you are not familiar with, look it up – write down the definition and use it in a sentence. This method will build your vocabulary, taking practice tests only test your knowledge about the subject when you take it – the test will teach you nothing but how many questions there may be.

Practice your multiplication and division (basic math). Pick numbers, any combination of numbers and add, multiply, divide and subtract them. Practice, practice, practice! Then work the fractions and percentages – what percent is 12.75 of 130? How would the number be represented as a fraction?

Did I mention read? Read everything you can get your hands on, cover to cover!

Practicing these things will not only help you on the ASVAB but also in life.

Good luck my friend! Thank you for visiting and let me know how you progress.

14. Carlos Rios says:

Thank you for answering so promptly. I will take your advice!

15. Kesha says:

What if you don’t go and take the confirmation test. Would the score you made be invaild? Or can you just wait six months and then try again to go in? How long is your score vaild for? All of this so confusing. My nephew took the test once and scored a 30. He waited four months and stupied very hard and we even got him a tutor. He then retakes the test and scores a 74. Now they wants him to b retested. I think that is so wrong. Retaking that test is so stressful it isn’t funny. Be help me better uderstand this system.

16. NCCM(ret) says:

Kesha,

The confirmation test is just a different version of the ASVAB test he took (same format just different questions), all the versions have the same difficulty level. It has been my experience that people who take the confirmation test do just fine.

I wish him good luck, let us know how he does!

17. kesha says:

So he will have to take the confirmaton test no matter what? Even if he decided to wait a few months before he goes back and talk to another recruiter. He is afraid that they will be watching him personally to see if he does something different and the thought of that is making him nervous. The first time he took it he was very nervous and made a bad score.
    How long do they make you wait before you can take the confirmation test?

18. NCCM(ret) says:

If he decides not to take the confirmation test he will have to wait 6 months to take a retest. Honestly though – he should just take the confirmation test, it is just like the ASVAB he just took – worst case is he fails the confirmation test and he’d have to wait 6 months anyway…so take the test!!

The confirmation test is designed only to make sure the person who is getting the new and much higher score is really the person who is the one to be joining the service – there is not a special person watching him take it – the only difference is he has to take it up at the MEPS, the test control officer will check his ID and ask him why he got a much higher score than the first time he took it. Getting a tutor is absolutely a good reason!!

From everything you have told he me should do just fine!! Tell him to relax and go kick the test’s butt!!

19. kesha says:

You have been so helpful concerning this matter. One more question. If he didn’t pass the confirmation test does he have to go back to MEPS to retake his test in six months. Or can he go locally andr retest.

I think he will do just fine. But you never know and it’s good to have some answers for whats next.

20. NCCM(ret) says:

The confirmation test is the only ASVAB test required to be taken at the MEPS. If he takes a retest 6 months from now he can take it anywhere the test is offered.

If the confirmation test is giving him this much mental anguish, he may want to reflect more deeply about joining – I know he will be confronted with much greater stress situations while serving. I know the ramifications of the test – I know it can be stressful because it is a controlling factor and is a presumed gateway to the future but he needs to relax, do his best and live life!

Remember, we are defined by what we do with the things we can control and how we react to the things we can not :)

21. kesha says:

You have been so helpful through this tough time for my family. Of all the recruiters I have had the pleasure speaking with none of them explain it the way you have. This website is very helpful and you give such straight to the point answers. Another thing is your response time to a question. If I have anymore questions in the future regarding the military I know where to come.

He wants go in so bad to better himself and get a better education. Also to have something that he can be proud of. I just wanted help him somehow. I needed to ask the question that he didn’t understand. I hope I wasn’t too much of a problem. The military process can be very hard to understand if you know nothing about it.

Again, NCCM(ret) you have been a great help to me and my family.

I will let you know how well he does.

22. NCCM(ret) says:

Kesha, thank you for your comments! I hope you share my site with others :)

If you or anyone ever need to contact me about questions regarding this site or its content (I get a lot and respond to all questions and enjoy researching the answers) you can use my email owner[at]navycs.com (the [at]=@ to reduce spam) I will keep any and all conversations private via email.

Respectfully,
    Tom Goering
    NCCM USN(ret)

23. Justin says:

I was looking up reasons for retesting the ASVAB. The first time I took it, I scored a 33. I’m not going for the Navy, but for the National Guard. I have to score a 50 or higher to get in in my state and also doing the GED+ program. When I went for the retest, which was a month after my first test, my AFQT score was a 55. My recruiter told me I had to do the confirmation test a month later. I was wondering why I had to do that, I mean I didn’t struggle or anything for the test, but I pushed my limits further. I took the first test on the computer, and my second was the paper and pencil version. Now my recruiter told me that the reasoning behind the confirmation test was because maybe the personnel at MEPS think that somebody else took the test for me or they just want to see why all of the sudden an increase jump in my score. I would like to know the real reason behind the retest, and I sort of wish I would have known sooner, I would have studied for more MOS’s.

24. NCCM(ret) says:

The confirmation test is in place to verify the score. If in a short period of time a score goes a person’s score rises substantially for no apparent reason then MEPS owes it to the service, the applicant and the tax payer to verify the score as not to place the person into a job/service they may not be academically ready to pursue. A majority of the people who take the confirmation test do just fine, but some do verify that the lower score obtained during the first test was more inline with their level of academic prowess.

So, the short answer is: The confirmation test is used to verify which score is a real reflection of a persons knowledge level during the period of the testing.

25. unknown says:

What happen if you took the confirmation test and didn’t pass? How long do you have to wait to retest? Also are you required to take it at MEPS or can you take it at any local MET site.

26. NCCM(ret) says:

6 months from the date of the test.

27. Sam says:

My situation is a bit complicating but for the last 4 months Ive been trying to get into the military, at first I was trying to get into the Air force I took the asvab and got a 46. They told me I had to get a 50 or above I visited the Navy recruiter the same day and they told me to I needed to get a 50 or above too, The recruiter told me I should retake it but there would be a risk of me getting a lower score. I retook the test, (It was a bad day for me to take it) but that time I managed to get a 38. I believe a month later I visited the Coast Guard guys with my 46 and they had my paperwork ready and everything until they looked into my scores and saw that my recent score was a 38 so I had to retake the test a 3rd time and that time I got a 66. I kept in touch with the recruiter from time to time and eventually I received a phone call saying that I was a “SHU IN” I just had to take a confirmation test to confirm that I did not cheat.They told me it would have no affect on my score, Im in I just need to take the confirmation test. I took the confirmation test and got a 41. This really upset me because they turned around and said they would have to take my 41! but to get in the coast guard, I would need a 45 they told me they would call me back to see if they can waiver me the 4 points. In the process I return to the navy recruiter to keep a my options open. One of the recruiters happened to be a good family friend from a while back, he gave me advice and told me what I COULD do for the navy, he told me that they would have to request my scores and see whats up from there. He got an email saying that I would have to be interviewed. I figured navy would be the best thing for me I no longer want to invest my time with the Coast Guard I have gotten nothing but long waits and unanswered questions I was being persistant and got nothing out of it. What advice could you give me at this point? If I were to do this interview would there be a good chance I could enlist? What’s the interview about and how can I prepare for it?

Thanks kindly,
    Sam

28. NCCM(ret) says:

Sam,

As I wrote in my post, “The interview will determine the cause of the anomaly and scores associated with the confirmation test are held from further processing pending results of that interview.” That said, you have to have the interview if you ever want to process for any service. There is no preparing for it; just be yourself and answer honestly. No reason to be nervous as it is procedure. Nobody is thinking you cheated on the test; that is a very common and wrong perception. Keep in mind, the scores are used not only to determine eligibility for service, but also what jobs you may qualify for, so it is imperative the MEPS gets this right. It is for your sake as well as the service’s.

For future responses, I will answer your questions directly, via email, in-order to maintain your privacy. To email me; owner[at]navycs.com ([at] = @ :))

29. tom says:

I took the asvab 4 times and on the 4th test i got a 34 but the navy test me to soon b/c i had to wait 6 month.. do i have to wait 6 month again??

30. NCCM(ret) says:

Tom,

Yes, regrettably, you would have to wait 6 months to retest.

31. lorena says:

i have taken the test twice first one was on december n i got 16 second one was today n i got 80 they said i have to take a confirmation test. how long i have to wait to take the confirmation test n what is the minimun i have to score in the confirmation test?

32. NCCM(ret) says:

Lorena,
    If you require a confirmation test, you do not have a waiting period – your recruiter can schedule the confirmation test asap.

33. lorena says:

34. tom says:

anytime after the the 3rd time u have to wait 6 month rite?

35. tom says:

anytime after the 3rd time u have to wait 6 month until u pass it rite? not a year?

36. Shawn says:

Recently, I took test and scored 61 but a month before I scored 40. Now my score increased 21 points than last month they are telling me to take the confirmation test so that they would know that I really didn’t cheated. I think that is what they wanted to see. They don’t think how hard I worked they just wanna know whether I cheated or not. If it’s not true what the hell they want us to take the confirmation test. I’m regretting now that I scored that score point because I have to give whole test again.

37. NCCM(ret) says:

Shawn,
    I say again, the confirmation test is not a test designed to see if you cheated! The confirmation test is to see which score, the 40 or the 61, is the real you. If they suspected cheating, they would not be giving you another test – they would be starting a criminal investigation!

38. Mike says:

Know this is a Navy site but maybe you could answer a question for me. My son took the ASVAB and scored 36 and was denied entry into the Air Force due to the low score. We looked at the Army and was told he could get in with the score. A little about him – he is a high graduaute and can speak 2 foregin language fluently. With these skill we were looking at maybe him being able to be a linguist or translator. However,we were told his scores were too low. I asked if he could retake the ASVAB in hopes of getting a higher score and improving his chances but was told if he did and scored lower they would go on the lower score since it was the latest and it would limit his job choices even further. The claimed they were working on a waiver to try to get him the positions but at MEPS the counselor told him he had no record of this and offered him a choice of 4 jobs – cook, canon crew member, refueler, and transportation. He went with the transportion and got a 3 month ship date. I ask the recuriter if that during this time if he try to improve his score and see if he could get into the translator/linguist slot prior to shipping. I was told he could retake the test but if he scored lower he could loose his contract if he score falls below the 36. Is what I am being told true or is the recuriter not telling me everything.

39. NCCM(ret) says:

I do not know how the Army works, but the Navy does have a policy for retesting while in the Delayed Entry Program – http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2008/06/04/retesting-of-dep-personnel

40. Gasper Rios says:

I have taken the test 4 times, but I didn’t use internet, now I’m, I’m using Ace the asvab program, am i doing the right thing to pass it w/ a good score now?

41. NCCM(ret) says:

Gasper,

There are only 4 sections on the ASVAB that count toward your score for qualification; the sections are arithmetic reasoning (AR), mathematics knowledge (MK), word knowledge (WK), and paragraph comprehension (PC). What ever you can do to increase your proficiency in those subjects the better (PC and WK = VE). AR is basically word problems – like if a man drives 35 miles on one gallon of gas – how many miles per gallon does he get? O.K. – a little more difficult than that, but you get the message. MK is basic algebra – solve for X sorta stuff – like 3x=3*7 which is x = 7 sorta thing. WK is like poised = balanced. PC is potentially the easiest section – you read a paragraph and answer questions from the information you gathered from what you read – the answers are in the paragraph! The only issue is the time.

Practice reading! I mentioned it in an earlier post – read everything; what you don’t understand – look it up! Math should be simple if you comprehend what you read – it is again practice – it is easy to answer my first example about gas mileage because it is broken down to its most basic element already, but the question won’t be that easy – VISUALIZE the questions – make them real to you – if it is spending money, then make it YOUR money!

As you are aware, the test is timed. Practice will increase your confidence – confidence will allow you to complete the test sooner, so to your question, “Will ACE [help you]?” Yes – anything that increases your proficiency in the above disciplines is a great thing.

Hope this helps :)

42. ZOE ZHANG says:

HI
    I have taken the test 4 times Test one was taken in February 2009 (scored 11) Test two was taken in April 2009 (scored 17 at computer
    ) Test three was taken in August 2009 (scored 30) and Test four was taken at September 2009 (scored 42) I was very exciting I can join the army but I waitted for a few days my ret told me the score is invalid because I took four time in six months so the last one was invalid and I was not give up just yesterday six months passed the Ret told me do not take the Testbook as same as you last time take I remeber last time I took the Testbook was 25B and just yesterday I took the Test the Testbook was 26B scored 47 and I can join the army but I can not remeber the early times is this a problem
    THANKS

43. NCCM(ret) says:

Zoe,

Congratulations; as long as the 6 months has gone by (day for day), that 47 should be a good score!

44. ZOE ZHANG says:

thanks fou you help and one more question how many days can the RET get my score in his system thanks
    you have a nice day thenk you sir

45. Janarra says:

Okae, so I am really frustrated right now with everything that is going on. I really hope you can answer my questions because not even my recruiter can explain it clearly to me. So this is what happend, in January 12th i took the asvab for the airforce and got a 42, then my dad decided that he wanted me to join the navy and not the airforce becuase my whole family is in the navy. So then i went to the navy recruiter and i told him that i am willing to wait a month to retake the test since i was not happy with my score. In february 26 i took the asvab again and got a 51. Now when i went to the test site, i told the test admin that i was retaking the test in other words i was doing a retest. He clearly said that when he asked who are the people retaking the test \, i dont have to raise my hand since he knows who i am, before handing me my test booklet, he showed me the paper that i signed to take the test the first time and asked me if that was mine, i answered yes and he handed me the booklet. Now, i didnt realize that he had given me the same booklet. Then a week passed by and I heard from my recruiter and he said that I need to take the confirmation test because my 2nd test was not valid. I think that its not fair how they want me to take the confirmation test when it wasnt me who made a mistake, i did what i was suppose to do. But now all i can do is wait for my recruiter to call, I dont want to wait 6 months, I want to leave by june. It would kill me to wait for 6 months. Please help me. Thank you very much. I got a 51 on my 2nd test by the way, I used the kaplan asvab book.

46. NCCM(ret) says:

Janarra,

If your score of 42 was from the first test you have ever taken, followed by the second test after 30 days, then you are eligible to retest again 30 days after the second test. Any test after that require a 6 month wait.

You did not score enough points to require a confirmation test. 42 to a 51 is only a 9 point difference; a confirmation test requires a 20 point or more difference — more than likely you just need a retest because of the duplicate test taken within a 6 month period.

Your Recruiter can call MEPS and get the exact date you are eligible to retest; if he has trouble calling the MEPS, he can fill out a DD-714, have you sign it, and submit it for an official response as to when you are eligible to retest.

Re-test information can be found on this page – http://www.navycs.com/asvab-test.html

47. Janarra says:

Okay,well I calledmy recruiter today and he said that he has to go aheadand check back with meps, with i told him about the options that you told me about finding out the exact date i can take my test and he said he will go ahead and double check with meps.thanks a lot and i will definitely tell everyone in our women redefined page on facebook about your site! :] Thanks again and more power. !

48. Janarra says:

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I switched recruiters yesterday. And I told thwm about my problem, fortunately my issue was old news to them. So they got me all set up for meps on Monday and Tuesday. I have to take a confirmation test but that’s ok. They guaranteed it will be the last time. I just want to thank you for answering my questions. You made me realize that my options are right in front of me and if my recruiter is not doing anything about it then I will. Thanks again and more power!

-Janarra

49. Rebecca says:

This is my situation… I took the ASVAB on January of last year and scored a 32, I didn’t study and it was 6 yrs that I hadn’t taken a math class. Well after that i studied for 3 months straight and scored an 82 the second time. Then my recruiter took sooooo long to get some medical papers together, it gave me time to think and I decided not join. Now, a year later I decided I wanted to join and they are telling me that I have to take a confirmation test, and my question is what’s the “ok” score for me? I am working now so I don’t have the same time as before to study as I did then. I’m sure I can do good but what would be the “passing” score in my situation? Thank you so much in advance.

50. NCCM(ret) says:

You need, of course, to pass the ASVAB with at least a 35QT, the minimum eligible score. That said, do your best and get another 80+! Worst case, you have to have an interview – that isn’t a bad thing; either way, you will be fine – don’t try and get in a range to try and avoid it, I say again, do your best!