Drugs and the Navy Do Not Mix

MEPS Drug and Alcohol Testing (DAT) Program

We have heard it all of our lives, stay away from drugs, just say no and hundreds of other comments and phrases meant to make us aware that using drugs and abusing alcohol can have a huge negative impact of your life. Many of the reasons are health related – use and abuse of drugs and alcohol can lead to deep psychiatric problems and damaged organs not to mention the fractured relationships and self esteem issues you’re bound to encounter.

It is sometimes mentioned, but rarely accentuated, that your use and abuse of drugs and alcohol can have a profound negative effect on your future – lets take a close look at how it might effect the Navy.

When you go to the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) to process for the military, one of the very first things you are going to do (shortly after filling out some forms) is to take a drug and alcohol test. The Military Drug and Alcohol Testing (DAT) Program is actually two tests; The alcohol test will be a breath test which is approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the drug test will be a traditional urinalysis following the procedures set forth by the Secretary of Defense for Health affairs.  The test results are considered final – if you even THINK you may produce a positive result DO NOT go to MEPS!

If you test positive at the MEPS for even a trace of marijuana, opiates, cocaine, or methamphetamine you would be ineligible for enlistment.  If you were preliminarily enlisted pending receipt of drug test results you must be discharged from the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) when the result is annotated in you record.  Keep in mind if you test positive for marijuana, cocaine or methamphetamine on your initial test you are permanently barred from reprocessing for the Navy. Note: Oxycodone/oxymorphone (synthetic opiates) are key ingredients in the drugs Percodan, Percocet, and Tylox, which are commonly prescribed to relieve pain after medical or dental surgery. These drugs are part of the DAT screen panel.

If it was a positive for alcohol on the initial DAT you are ineligible for military service for a period of 45 days from the date of the DAT. You can only retest on or after their 46th day following the initial test. You produce a positive result on your second test you are then permanently ineligible for the Navy.

Also, if you had a previous MEPS positive DAT for drugs, regardless of service processing for, you are permanently ineligible for enlisting in the United States Navy.

Within your first 72 hours at Recruit Training Command (boot camp), you will be given a urinalysis. If you test is positive, you will be immediately discharged based upon fraudulent enlistment.

More and more companies across the U.S. and the world are adopting the zero tolerance position on the use of illegal drugs and the abuse of alcohol – heed this and the other warnings you are hearing and just in case let me say it one more time for the people in the back row – Stay away from drugs; just say NO!

Alcohol abuse or illegal or improper use of drugs during your enlistment could result in possible administrative separation with less than honorable conditions and loss of all veterans benefits. To further illustrate the Navy’s position on drug use and abuse, I highlighted a couple of points from NAVADMIN 108/10, as an applicant for the Navy you had better understand, that was recently sent by the CNO;

R 251705Z MAR 10
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N00//
TO NAVADMIN
BT
UNCLAS N05355//
NAVADMIN 108/10
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO/WASHINGTON DC/N00/MAR//
SUBJ/DRUG ABUSE ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY AND PROHIBITION ON POSSESSION OF CERTAIN SUBSTANCES//

REF/A/DOC/SECNAVINST 5300.28D/5DEC05//
REF/B/DOC/OPNAVINST 5350.4D/4JUN09//
NARR/REF A IS SECNAVINST 5300.28D, MILITARY SUBSTANCE ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL. REF B IS OPNAVINST 5350.4D, NAVY ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL.

RMKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN REEMPHASIZES NAVY POLICY ON DRUG ABUSE AND PROHIBITS POSSESSION OF THE SUBSTANCES DESIGNATED IN PARA 5. THIS MESSAGE CONSTITUTES A LAWFUL GENERAL ORDER APPLICABLE TO ALL UNIFORMED PERSONNEL IN THE UNITED STATES NAVY. THE PROHIBITION CONTAINED IN PARA 5 WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE NEXT REVISION OF REF B.

2. THE NAVY SEPARATED 1,374 SAILORS AS A RESULT OF DRUG ABUSE IN FY09 AND 303 SAILORS DURING THE FIRST QUARTER OF FY10. DRUG ABUSE PUTS LIVES AND MISSIONS AT RISK, UNDERCUTS UNIT READINESS AND MORALE, AND IS INCONSISTENT WITH OUR NAVY ETHOS AND CORE VALUES OF HONOR, COURAGE, AND COMMITMENT.

3. NAVY POLICY ON DRUG ABUSE IS SIMPLE AND CLEAR – ZERO TOLERANCE. NAVY PERSONNEL DETERMINED TO BE UNLAWFULLY USING, POSSESSING, PROMOTING, MANUFACTURING, OR DISTRIBUTING DRUGS AND/OR DRUG ABUSE PARAPHERNALIA SHALL BE DISCIPLINED, AS APPROPRIATE, AND PROCESSED FOR ADMINISTRATIVE SEPARATION.

4. PER REFS A AND B, DRUG ABUSE INCLUDES THE WRONGFUL USE, POSSESSION, MANUFACTURE, OR DISTRIBUTION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. DRUG ABUSE ALSO INCLUDES THE UNLAWFUL USE OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE ANALOGUES (DESIGNER DRUGS), NATURAL SUBSTANCES (E.G., FUNGI, EXCRETIONS), CHEMICALS (E.G., CHEMICALS WRONGFULLY USED AS INHALANTS), PROPELLANTS AND/OR PRESCRIBED OR OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS OR PHARMACEUTICAL COMPOUNDS WITH THE INTENT TO INDUCE INTOXICATION, EXCITEMENT, OR STUPEFACTION OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, AND WILL SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO PUNITIVE ACTION UNDER THE UCMJ AND/OR ADVERSE ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION. EXAMPLES OF OTHER SUBSTANCES, THE WRONGFUL USE OF WHICH CONSTITUTES DRUG ABUSE, INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
A. PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID COMPOUNDS, SUCH AS SPICE, GENIE, BLAZE, DREAM, EX-SES, SPARK, FUSION, DARK KNIGHT, YUKATAN FIRE, AND K2.
B. NATURAL SUBSTANCES SUCH AS SALVIA DIVINORUM AND MUSHROOMS.
C. COMMON ITEMS ABUSED BY INHALING OR HUFFING, SUCH AS DUST OFF, GLUE, PAINT THINNER AND GASOLINE.
D. OVER-THE-COUNTER PRODUCTS SUCH AS ROBITUSSIN AND CORICIDIN HBP.
E. PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS SUCH AS OXYCODONE, VICODIN, ADDERAL, AND VALIUM.

5. POSSESSION PROHIBITED. NAVY PERSONNEL WHO WRONGFULLY POSSESS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE ANALOGUES (DESIGNER DRUGS), SALVIA DIVINORUM, OR PRODUCTS CONTAINING SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID COMPOUNDS (INCLUDING THE PRODUCTS IN PARA 4.A ABOVE) MAY BE SUBJECT TO PUNITIVE ACTION UNDER THE UCMJ, ADVERSE ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION, OR BOTH.

6. DETERRENCE. TO DETER DRUG ABUSE, WE MUST ELIMINATE ANY PERCEPTION AMONG POTENTIAL DRUG USERS THAT THEIR USE MAY GO UNDETECTED. THIS REQUIRES A RIGOROUS URINALYSIS PROGRAM WITH FREQUENT, RANDOM, OBSERVED, AND UNANNOUNCED URINALYSIS TESTS. REF B REQUIRES THAT ALL COMMANDS HAVE AN AGGRESSIVE URINALYSIS TESTING
PROGRAM THAT RANDOMLY TESTS AT LEAST FOUR TIMES PER MONTH. A MINIMUM OF 15 PERCENT OF ASSIGNED PERSONNEL MUST BE TESTED EACH MONTH.

7. CONSULT YOUR STAFF JUDGE ADVOCATE OR REGION LEGAL SERVICE OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE ON SPECIFIC CASES.

8. ALCOHOL AND DRUG CONTROL OFFICERS (ADCOS) CAN PROVIDE COMMAND LEADERSHIP WITH INFORMATION ON CURRENT SUBSTANCE ABUSE TRENDS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONCERNING SPICE AND SALVIA DIVINORUM CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.NPC.NAVY.MIL/COMMANDSUPPORT/NADAP/WHATSNEW.HTM.

9. CONSISTENT COMMUNICATION OF THE NAVY’S ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY, EDUCATION OF SAILORS AND COMMAND LEADERS, EFFECTIVE EXECUTION AND COMPLIANCE WITH URINALYSIS TESTING, AND ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO ABUSE DRUGS WILL DETER DRUG ABUSE. DETERRING DRUG ABUSE IS EVERY SAILOR’S RESPONSIBILITY. JUST AS SHIPMATES DON’T LET SHIPMATES
DRINK AND DRIVE, SHIPMATES DON’T LET SHIPMATES DO DRUGS.

10. RELEASED BY ADMIRAL G. ROUGHEAD, CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS.//
BT
#0000
NNNN

187 Responses to “MEPS Drug and Alcohol Testing (DAT) Program”

1. Michael says:

after the marijuana possession charges get dismissed will it show up when they run a background check ? or will the only charge that will show up be the alcohol one? and do you think i am 100% going to get discharged?

2. Michael says:

is their any chance that i will not get discharged ?

3. NCCM(ret) says:

Michael,

Think about it this way, if a police officer pulls you over and produces any documentation, that documentation is available for agencies to see – even if the records are sealed, the content of the charges/arrest may not be available for viewing, but the instance of the charge/arrest will remain – so yes, even if the charge is dismissed or even sealed, it will show up.

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did the marijuana possession occur? Had you been to court for it previously?

4. Michael says:

It happened about 1 1/2 to 2 months ago. and i went to court for it about 3 weeks ago and pleaded not guilty so now i have the new court date which is this monday. but this is my first time ever going to court for a marijuana possession charge. the only other time i went to court was for the alcohol one.

5. Kris says:

After reading the information, I believe I may already have my answer but I would like to post my question anway. 10 years ago I attempted to enlist in the Navy right out of highschool. I tested well and was sent to MEPS. I received a phone call from my recruiter that I popped on my urinalysis and asked if I had a current prescription for something with Oxycodone. I had taken Tylox after an accident but the prescription was over a year old and for dental surgery. The recruiter told me I would have to wait a year before applying again. I decided to go to college and graduate school instead. I am now interested in joining as an officer but don’t know if I am eligible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks

6. NCCM(ret) says:

Kris,

Based on instruction, you would be ineligible, but contact your local officer recruiter to have him/her pull the MEPS record to be sure.

7. Sean says:

Typo in the first paragraph, last sentence. “you’re”

Sean,

Corrected. Thank you!

9. Merk says:

I have finally built up the courage to join a branch of the U.S. Military, specifically the Navy. My life needs direction, I’m 20 and I have nothing going for me right now. I don’t really know why I picked the Navy. I’m 160 lbs, 5 ft. 10 in., male, with no debilitating health concerns. I have no pre-existing knowledge of the military lifestyle or culture. Of course I am nervous as to knowing whether or not I’m cut out for this but what does it take to get enlisted and how long does the process take? Also, why would someone join the navy?!!!

Merk,

In order to enlist in the Navy, you need to contact a recruiter – they will guide you through the entire process from answering your specific questions to ensuring your application is filed out correctly, and even providing your transportation to the MEPS – the whole process can take anywhere from 3 days to 6 months depending on any waiver requirements you might have; then, additionally, you may need to wait for anywhere up to a year to leave for boot-camp depending on the rating/program you select’s availability.

Being nervous about joining is completely natural; after all, unless you have been a part of it or closely associated with it as a dependent, most of it is an unknown.

I personally joined the Navy because of the opportunity to serve my country and travel the world, but keep in mind that their are as many reasons as their are people who join and could range from education to just wanting to serve your country.

Here is a three part story by a Sailor that recently joined the Navy –> http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2012/03/06/welcome-to-the-deep-end
    Here is another story of boot-camp told by a different Sailor who also recently joined —> http://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/09/15/navy-bootcamp

I hope this helps!

11. Michelle says:

My daughter who was17at the time of her senior year and wanted to join the navy. She tested possitive for marijuana, and received a letter stating that she could retest. We have went to the recruiting commanding officer and our congressman, she is not a graduate and 18 her her dream is the navy, how do we work to get her in. We have not yet heard back yet, her recruiter and teachers and everyone feels this was an isolated incident . Please help

Michelle,

Assuming she tested positive for marijuana during a MEPS drug test, she is permanently barred from enlisting in the Navy – there is no waiver or recourse. A congressman can only ensure that procedures were followed, he/she can not change the policy established by the service.

If she did have a positive MEPS drug test, I recommend that she pursue other endeavors.

I wish I had better news.

13. Manto says:

I’m 29 now and I have a few spots on my record from about 8 or 9 years ago, but nothing that hasn’t been talked about here as a possible waiver (MJ possessions with no intent to distribute), and nothing that would be considered a felony or dangerous (violent/sexual) otherwise. I have a two other minor offenses that have been dealt with, by being dropped or amended to lesser offenses.

Is it worth it for me to try to apply?

Any service position would be a welcome opportunity for me. I really want to serve my country.

Also, is there a way for me to do a BG check on myself before I begin the process with my recruiter and see what to look out for?

Manto,

It is always the right idea to go see the recruiter and get the specific answer for your circumstance. You can go to your local court and run a check on your self to ensure you don’t forget something, but keep in mind, even if you run it and something you know should be there is not — it will come up when the military’s security check goes through. If you have ever been arrested or even fingerprinted, your information/arrest record is at multiple agencies, so your local court may have misplaced it, but it will be somewhere else (rare that they misplace/misfile something or punch in a wrong digit into their system, but it does happen).

15. Whoknows says:

So my question is kind of complex. So to start I have no criminal history; but about 4 months ago I submitted myself to a rehab. Again, this was a voluntary submission. I need to know if I have just disqualified myself with no chance of a wavier to be applied for. I figure it would be unwise to keep it from the recruiter because if later I decide to apply for different clearances would they not make me sign papers that hand the rights over to that information anyways? Not sure what the wisest move is from here. Btw I have 90 some odd days free from any mind or mood altering substance (including alcohol) not sure if that information would even be pertinent.

Whoknows,

It would depend on the diagnosis of the rehab; if they determined you to be drug dependent, then there would be nothing you could do. You would need to submit the documents to MEPS via your recruiter for a determination if a diagnosis other than drug dependent was documented.

That said, if you used anything other than marijuana, you must wait one year from last date of use; two years for LSD before you could attempt to process.

17. tyler says:

I went to rehab when I was 17, my mother took me to a psychologist after watching me drinking. When misspoke to the psychologist out of anger and an attempt to make my mom look bad I claimed I used a plethora of drugs. The truth is I’ve smoked pots3 times and that was highschool. So I gave in to peer pressure there and got kicked out for doing inhalents with others. Now I am 26, married with two kids. Have not touched any drug since high school, only records are petty theft at 18 and c&I at 20. I am also currently in school. Does any of that pdq me or can I obtain a waiver given I have been a good family man since then, and have no dependency. I ask here as I hate to waste a recruiters time.

[last name redacted for privacy]

Tyler,

You should wait for NavyDoc’s response on the medical page that you posed the question, but based on my experience, you would not be eligible for a waiver due to the rehab — especially for how it concluded.

19. Angel says:

I know questions such as mine have been asked a hundred times a day on here but I still have to ask. Considering joining the navy or the reserves but have two DUI’s and an assault and battery on a police officer, all charges have been espunged from my record and my background report doesn’t pull any of it up either. Would this be something that would show up when the navy does their check and is it even worth trying?

Angel,

The charges will show up, and because your charges could receive waiver consideration based on the published instructions, it is ALWAYS worth trying — your chances are not good at all, but don’t guess, make them tell you no.

21. Angel says:

Thank you very much, and I will!

22. tricia says:

soo is birth control gunna show up on the drug test

Tricia,

Birth control medications are not tested for.

24. Chris says:

If I smoked marijuana a few days ago, do I need to wait a 90 day period before enlisting? Or can I just wait until I am clean? I want to enlist as soon as possible.

Chris,

As the post states, if you go to MEPS and have a trace of drugs in your system, you are finished for life. My best advice to you is to ensure you are clean, and then wait another few weeks just to be sure. Your recruiter has test kits in the office.

26. Cam says:

I went to MEPS and I got a call that. I tested positive for Meth but I have never done meth before, I had just finished a prescription I was given for dental surgery I had. I gave my recruiter a letter from my doctor and the prescriptions I was on to show that it was a false positive test. Will I still be able to join?

Cam,

I have never seen anyone successful before — my understanding is that meth is a much different derivative of the amphetamine and false positives are rare; now if you tested positive for just an amphetamine, then maybe, but the question will come as to why it was not mentioned, but I assume you can answer that.

28. Cam says:

Ok thank you

29. Luis says:

If I took my physical last march of 2012 and have already had a drug test at meps, when I go back to meps tomorrow will they test me again?

Luis,

If you have drugs in your system, do not go to MEPS. If you have not gotten yourself to a place that you stop using drugs, don’t join the military.

31. A concerned adolescent says:

How long do mushrooms stay in your body for?
    And would a military test ever pick it up?

A concerned adolescent,

I have no idea.

33. NoONEknows says:

Well, I just graduated highschool, and I was wondering if i should join the US Navy. I mean its been my dream to join, but I have one problem. I’ve used marijuana before , not to long ago. What do I have to do, in order for me to enlist in the Navy ? Or Do i still have a chance?

NoONEknows,

Once the marijuana is out of your system (usually 45 to 60 days after use, but times will vary depending on many factors), you would be eligible to join. I highly recommend that you contact your local recruiter; he/she has drug testing kits in the office — make sure they verify that you are clean by using the test kit before you go to MEPS.

35. Carlitos says:

I wanna join the navy. I was charged for use of marijuana. That was 5 years ago and I wanna join the navy I got all my record back even the fingerprints they took ,fotos etc. I need advise for joining the navy . It’s there any waiver for this kind of situation I have please. I will appreciate it

Carlitos,

If you are otherwise fully qualified, a waiver is possible for a single, simple possession of marijuana charge. If your charge had any indication of sale, manufacture or distribution of marijuana (or any drug) then you would not be eligible.

37. jimmy says:

ok so when I was 18 I enlisted into the navy about 1-2 weeks in they told me I failed a drug test and discharged me. I recently went to purchase a firearm and in the background check they asked if I was ever dishonorably discharged from the military. my question being is failing a drug test in navy bootcamp a dishonorable discharge or oth?

Jimmy,

If you were discharged before boot-camp, your discharge would have been an administrative action that would not have a characterization of your service (you didn’t serve). If you were discharged from boot-camp, your type of discharge would be listed on your DD-214. It would not be a dishonorable discharge unless you first went to a court martial proceeding and that was the type of discharge you were awarded.

39. jimmy says:

yes I was discharged in bootcamp. I don’t remember any court hearing(it was 15 years ago). but for some reason I remember being told it was a DD. just trying to find some quick answers while I wait for my discharge paperwork I recently submitted for.

Jimmy,

Where you need to wait for the official documentation, it would be very unlikely that you received a DD for showing up to boot-camp with drugs in your system; more than likely, you were discharged with an RE-4 code (for fraudulent enlistment) and an uncharacterized discharge because of the length of time you were there.

41. Ryan says:

NCCM(RET)

Will the drug urinalysis at MEPS for either Enlisting or Shipping test for Benzo’s (like xanax) – if it was only taken once.

Ryan,

To tell you the truth, I do not know. I know the lab is pretty thorough, but I do not know all the various drugs that are tested for — beyond the drugs you would expect, I know some steroids are even tested for — I know that they have even derived a test for designer drugs like Spice, but benzodiazepines…no idea. But with that said, if you took the drug, you should be informing your recruiter.

43. aileen says:

my nephew said he is being discharged from the navy for during drugs before he was enlisted and never said anything to anyone excet his recruiter that told him it is fine since he is clean now. He said the navy found out because he talked to friends about his past partying days. never in trouble as an adult. how is this?

Aileen,

I agree with you, something is missing from the explanation. His DD-214 (discharge document), if he shows it to you, could shed some light — it will give the type of discharge and a separation code; the separation code will will state something like fraudulent enlistment if it was a preservice issue. If he tested positive for drugs, the discharge will more than likely be an “other than honorable” one with an RE-4 discharge code (he could receive an RE-4 with either discharge). No matter what though, if discharged for a drug related issue, he will not be able to reenlist.

45. aileen says:

Will he never be able to enlist in any military branch?

46. aileen says:

H new wife with him said this all occurred on 6-11-2013. What is the process and when will he be released? I beleive he may have a “MASS”. next week?

47. aileen says:

I do not understand what happened to him, he was doing so good. An E-3 working in a security area in less than a year. I did notice he started drinking and smoking cigs. more and more. If drugs why???

Aileen,

Did he fail a drug test? In our past conversations, it hasn’t been established as to what, if anything, he did.

He would be going to Captain’s Mast (not Mass).

If he is ultimately discharged for drugs, I know he would not be able to reenlist in the Navy, and I doubt he would be able to join any other service for three reasons; first, he would be discharged with an RE-4 discharge code; second, his discharge will more than likely be “other than honorable”; and third, it would be a discharge for drug use.

If he did use drugs while on active duty, I wish I knew the why — I will never understand why people would jeopardize their future like that. I hope that is not the case with him. I truly hope everything works out and that there has been some sort of misunderstanding.

49. Dave says:

My son has been in the Deps program since last about last August. When he signed up, we talked to his recruiter about taking a mission trip with our church to Nicaragua. He said that he would be able to do that. We took Chloroquine as a preventive measure against Malaria. We returned from the trip on 6/13/13 . We are required by the prescription to take it once a week after we return for 3 weeks.

He went to MEPS Wednessday and told the recruiter about the medicine and even had the prescription with him. He failed his urinalysis test at the recruiter station. When he got to Denver, he passed the urinalysis test but they were suspicious. We had to tracked down his passport, and fax copies of the trip to them. Even had the doctor that prescribed us the medicine email a letter stating so. Then they began questioning him and us further. The asked for his medical records since he was a boy. He was diagnosed as ADHD. We didn’t agree and later he was taken off adderall at age 11. By midnight Thursday he was home and his dream of being a Hospital Corpsman was over. At least that is what they told him or made him believe. I know you have heard this before but he is the cleanest most honest boy you will meet.

They told him that they would let him know this coming week if it is over for him or not. We aero fused whether or not there is a recousre for this situation or not. Is it unusual to send them home with out an paper work?

Help, the Navy is about to lose out on one of the finest young men out there.

Dave,

The concern is that he did not initially disclose the ADHD; when information is withheld from MEPS, they get really suspicious of everything else — they wonder what else may have been left out. Also, the drug Chloroquine will not produce a positive result on the drug test used in the recruiting station, so I am not sure what that is about — and I am not sure why he was tested again after DEP-in by the MEPS; that is not normal procedure.

I assume the Navy is forwarding his medical waiver to CNRC for consideration, and if CNRC denies the waiver, there is no recourse. He would have to try another service at that point.

51. aileen says:

So I have not heard anything since the captains mast. I have no idea what his restriction is or even what goes on in restiction. If it was drugs or a bad drug test, how bad could this be. He sent a message to his wife that it is not that bad, well what is not that bad? I have sent messages to him and his wife along with texts and phone calls and all go un answered. I do not understand this, have you seen or heard of this before?

Aileen,

If he is on restriction (normal punishment before discharge would be 45/45 and half months for two months with a reduction in rank) his communication would be restricted — his would be confined to a certain location (not jail) with others who may also be on restriction.

The 45/45; the first is 45 days is the number of days to be served on restriction, the second 45 means 45 days of extra duty — cleaning the base, etc. The half months for two months would be a fine — one half month of basic pay taken from his check for two months, and the reduction rank would be just that. If he was an E-4, he would now be an E-3. Any part or all of it could be suspended, but for drug related charges, a suspension is unlikely.

53. aileen says:

Thank you for your continuining information. It is very helpful. I’am just so disappointed and upset I have not heard from him, I know he has contact with his wife that is on base with him. But me no. I raised this man since he was 9 yrs old. Just plain hurt and disappointed.

I think the Navy or services should drug test them daily if caught to be sure they are no longer still doing durgs on the base.

Make the enlisted stay until their duty is served with a grade drop, pay cut and be part of the cleaning of the base. And make them take rehabilitation classes.Then the Navy can decide how they want to discharge (classfication) the sailor when their ontract is up.

The restictions and punishment they get and then discharge does not seem like enough punishment for doing drugs in the service. .

I hope the lesson of being kicked out was enough for any sailor to get their self together. They have to live with this the rest of their lives and i’m sure it is something that will be looked back on by the sailor with regret.

54. emmy says:

I enlist for navy reserve but I fail the drug test before bootcamp, am I going to have a dd on my background check?

Emmy,

Who gave you the drug test?

56. emmy says:

At the meps

Emmy,

You will not have a Dishonorable Discharge — you have been administratively released.

58. nny says:

I smoked crystal once two months ago and havent yet gone to MEPS.. do i still have a chance to join the navy or how long do i need to wait.

NNY,

Mandatory minimum waiting period of one year since last use — you have 10 more months to wait, then you would require a drug use waiver.

60. nny says:

Two months ago i smoked crystal and did it once (first time).. and have no intentions on doing it again…how long do i have to wait to go back to my recruiter.. done the asvaab, score 38 and they gave me a chance to retake it if want too. Also initial some paper work and never date it.. and never went to MEPs.. i really want to join in!! Any hopes..

NNY,

I answered your question in the comment above.

62. David [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

If permanently barred from re-processing in the Navy, are you also permanently barred from processing in all other branches of service? I have a few enlisted mates that are saying I am eligible for all other services but the Marines? Also, I was never given any urinalysis at my recruiting station even after telling my recruiter that I would test positive he assured me it was out of my system, unfortunately he was wrong and i popped positive at MEPS.
    I would like to take the time to thank you in advance for reviewing this and look forward to you response, Thank You David [Last name redacted for privacy]

David,

The Navy is the only service that instituted and consistently maintains the policy; I have heard that some services will allow you to process, and others will not. You would need to ask each service individually what their policy is as of today.

64. David [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

NCCM,

Most respect and much appreciated response, I am going to go to a recruiting station asap to see what all they have to say, I will also keep an updated post on here so fellow peers can have the information as well. Thank You, David [Last name redacted for privacy]

65. Matt says:

I have to go in for a urology test in a few hrs for my recruiter, but I just got my wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago and got prescribed painkillers for my mouth. I took one vicodin a few hrs ago and then realized that I probably should have waited out the pain. If show proof to my recruiters that I have a valid prescription and proof i was in the operating room for the teeth, will there be any problems for my use of the pill?

Matt,

Bring the prescription with you. Make sure they review it before you are tested.

67. JR says:

I was on active duty for 6 years and got out on honorable discharge. Had some life changes shortly after getting out (had a child and was going to school full time plus picked up a full time job). Shortly after that I went into the reserves. Going thru all that took a toll on me and I unexpectantly loss my full time job (due to tardiness). As the stress was building up I used marijuana and ended up popping on a urinalysis. This was about two years ago. Am i eligible to go back into the navy or any other branch?

JR,

If you popped positive at MEPS, you are not eligible to process; no waivers are authorized.

69. JR says:

it wasnt at MEPS, it was during a drill weekend on reserve duty when I had a random urinalysis test. they sent me a letter yhe next month informing me that I popped.

JR,

If released from the reserve for a positive drug test, then no waiver authorized.

71. JR says:

Alright thanks. I had read on another forum that you may be able to do army reserve then after a short time you can go back active. Just wanted to be sure if that was true or not. Thanks again though NCCM.

72. rw says:

I passed all my drug test at navy office but when I got to meps they said I have a positive drug test how is this possible but it is not saying positive for what and then it has reenlistment may not be effected without the prior approval of the commanding officer. its an Entry level separation. what do this mean I haven’t smoked or drank anything.

RW,

Failing the MEPS drug test renders you ineligible for enlistment. Whereas the recruiter’s test is helpful, it is not always accurate. The MEPS drug test is accurate, and there is no recourse or appeal. The Navy does not entertain waivers for a MEPS positive drug test.

74. rw says:

I haven’t smoked anything in about a year and that was nothing so how can I test positive. On my job we are tested randomly and I have past them all.

RW,

No idea, but if you failed the MEPS drug test, there is no recourse.

76. david [Last name redacted for privacy] says:

Failed my urinalysis for the navy at meps years ago. Can I re process for Marines army national guard or anything? Mainly Marines though

David,

I cannot confirm that the Marines and other services have adopted the Navy’s policy, but I do think they have. I recommend that you contact them to be certain.